Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk (Version 6.5 - 23/MAY/2010)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by driver, Dec 27, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Ahhh - so this USB 'memory stick' booting actually works? I have been considering doing the same. It'd be much faster than having to wait for the disk to load off the slow A: drive.

2. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

You need certain brands of USB keys. The IBM ones are bootable. The Dell ones aren't. My 128MB Ur-Disk USB key is not supposed to be but it is mostly bootable on my P4PE but sometimes it just doesn't work.

Only on some motherboards. It works on the Gigabit 8IEXP but didn't work for ages on my Asus P4PE Delux - even now it's fairly problematic but as I said it likely my officially non-bootable USB key.

3. nbk

nbk Member

Just wondering, is there a way to integrate the Etherboot rom into the disk - so that you can use it as per normal, but have the option to boot from a Terminal Server (*nix/*bsd, not bloatsoft)?

I'm working on setting up a Terminal Server to run some kiosk boxes, just thinking of its usefulnes in general, particularly since the advent of wireless.

4. alowishes

alowishes Member

driver,

I've just emailed you about adding support for the nforce2 10/100 based chipset.

Drivers are attached to the email.

5. karmic

karmic Member

Hi driver,

just tested out v4.11 with a xircom 10/100 pcmcia card and it comes up with an error about xcemndis.dos not existing - which it doesnt.

The actual file is a .exe file but script.bat explicitly sets it to use *.dos files as below

===
    %ramd%\inifile set %ramd%\system.ini -s"network drivers" -knetcard -v%NETCARD%.DOS
    ===

having a look thru files.exe, it looks like there is another file "cbendis.exe" that might have the same problem

karmic

6. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

hmmmm, well that looks like a glitch alright!

hopefully I will get a chance to sit down and sit it soon. (and had a few more drivers)

7. mr_moo

mr_moo Member

this disk looks great and I'll be grabbing it at work on Monday. The start of the thread mentions usb dos drivers.... have you guys seen this article?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

is this any good? or am I way behind the times on this one....

8. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

WOW!!! I hadn't heard of this before!:D

And YES, I'll be making every effort to add this little godsend to the disk.

Having said that, if i read it correctly, it appears to only support USB based disk drives, not USB network cards. Still, USB mass storage support is a great feature! :)

9. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Well, USB mass storage support is looking promising. :)

EDIT:

Okay maybe not :D.....

At this stage it's not going to work with this bootdisk, since I can't get di1000dd.sys to dynamically load using device.com -- instead of using config.sys like you normally would. I can't load it from the config.sys because of the disk's design, re compression / menu interface, etc

Besides, now I think about it, being a "network" bootdisk, there's not really much reason for needing local USB access. Sure it'd be handy, but I think it's something can be left for another, seperate bootdisk :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  10. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

VERSION 4.2 is ready.
    * Added 3COM 556 PC Card & nForce2 drivers.
    * Fixed bug with Xircom drivers
    * Support for NTFSDOS now has to be run from another source. I needed the disk space!!

Download it here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/driver/bootdisk

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  11. mr_moo

mr_moo Member

yeah we've been trying to get it to work at work on the pc side of things (share an office with Mac techies) so we can ghost build/backup machines from external hard drives. The mac guys do it through Firewire 400 which is pretty good. But then Macs = different.

12. cybermatic

cybermatic Member

Good stuff! :leet:

*DOWNLOADS!*

13. Bangers

Bangers Member

I just tried this out, and it didn't work for my system :/

Was fine, auto detected my Intel 8255x NIC, then It comes up with an error "Undefined Function Call to Boot4" or something along those lines, "hit any key", then it beeps, scrolls some text and just dies.

gigabyte 7n400 pro
    xp2700+
    xms3200
    intel 82558 NIC

I thought I'd reply here instead of PMin driver.

14. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

That error message means either:
    A) Try building the disk again - using a different floppy - your current one might be going bad.
    B) One of my known bugs with the menu .exe is still lurking around. Recompile time :D

OTHER UPDATES:

1. The nforce2 driver does NOT work. Nvidia have done a real dodgy job with their driver. Their driver, unlike any other I have seen, relies on an additional Intel (development?) driver to be loaded as well. Naturally, this is quite a headache :leet:

2. I except a minor update - driver wise shortly. 50 old drivers and I still get given a laptop with an unknown LAN in it :rolleyes: :D

15. Wylf

Wylf Member

Didn't know this existed - would have been handy :)

Anyway, I thought ppl might be interested in another M$ network bootdisk project. Quite similar features to this one, with a couple of differences... worth a squizz.

16. Bangers

Bangers Member

I just tried another floppy and re-did it, same thing happened.

17. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

VERSION 4.35 released

* Nvidia nForce MCP driver finally works!!! Tested with an ASUS nforce1 266-VM MATX motherboard.
    * Broadcomm B57.DOS driver updated

And in version 4.3, which I didn't really make public...
    * Added driver: Broadcomm 44x
    * Added driver: Dlink DFE528TX
    * Removed some old IBM driver
    * Removed CMOSpwd.

bangers (and anyone else), can you tell me if the menu interface is still crashing in this version?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  18. Bangers

Bangers Member

Mate, thats awesome. Bloody brilliant.

One thing, ghost had a cry about not enough room when I tried to save the image on a samba share on my gentoo server even though it has 100GB+ free room.

dir said X:\ was only 2Gb in size? Is this a DOS limitation?

19. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Yes, the 2GB is a FAT/DOS limitation.

Two ways around this:
    A) Use file spanning in ghost (this can be automated with ghost command line parameters
    B) Use GhostCast Server at the other end and uni/multicast the image to the 'server'. This is also faster in my experience too.

20. Bangers

Bangers Member

A) Even with spanning won't it get full after a single span?
    B) Can't do, not unless Symantec have ported the Ghost server into linux within the last couple days :/

Meh, I'll find a way around it.