Unknown Crash (Audio Skips & Jerky Mouse)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pinkfloydeffect, Jan 3, 2018.

1. pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

I am not sure how to get to the bottom of this issue, a few times a week or even a day my PC will crash on me. It starts with the music getting skippy like a skipping CD, then the mouse starts becoming jerky or an extreme frame rate drop. I never get a BSOD, it will eventually just lockup and require a hard reset.

Where do I start with an issue like this? GPU or sound card? Thanks

2. xok

xok Member

Could it be thermal related?

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  3. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

If my cache is overclocked too much I get a "soft lock" crash like that, try underclocking/overvolting cache?

4. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

I will start monitoring my temps!

I am not aware of the ability to change cache clock, this is an Optiplex 990 and I believe those settings are all locked?

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yeah, I reckon temps is a good place to start. Download Core Temp and assuming you use Windows, set the app up so you can see a live temp feed in your Windows Task Bar.

You may also be able to set off a PC speaker alarm via bios settings, indicating either temperature breach (and even fan failure too). For example, research your processor to find out its heat point of failure, and then set your bios alarm to trigger before that temp is reached.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Places to start:
    - take note of date and time of incident for reverse analysis you always want to be investigating just before time of incident (what lead up to the crash/hard lock up).
    - Reliability Monitor
    https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/
    - Event Viewer - this is where the date and time stamps are critical!

Be more specific when you say 'lock up'.

Do you mean a hard system lock where the monitor/s stays lit but complete loss of system response (no mouse, sound or keyboard, even Ctrl+Alt+Del)?

If so is HDD light remaining active or solid? If so do you have a Micron (or Crucial SSD)?

If you answered yes to both of these last questions your SSD may need a firmware update or host controller drivers installed -
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...ower-41-enhancedstorage-ehstortcgdrv.1210045/

7. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

I have been monitoring my temps for a few days now with CPUID HWMonitor but I do not see my CPU or GPU reaching above 120F.

I will make not of time stamp next time. No crash since running HWMonitor. I have a SSD for my OS but it is Mushkin.

'lock up' - hard to describe, monitors stay lit yes and and complete loss of response but it seems to continue to move the mouse for a few seconds freezing every second or so. I can still see the last refreshed image of my desktop or what I was doing it does not go to black. The music will start to repeat the way a bad CD plays the same second over and over but it will only repeat for so long before going silent.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Look at Reliability Monitor for any recurring flags.

9. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

Wow thanks for tipping me off to this valuable tool! I will make so much use of this in my day to day career. According to mine I do see a few critical events however they are only "not properly shutdown" which was initiated by me after the lock ups. No other information on as to what caused them in the reliability monitor however this DOES give me time stamps to work with now.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Not sure if that is dripping with sarcasm or not - but now you can go to Event Viewer and look around those time stamps - ideally 3-5s before the hard lock up and start to get greater detail.

11. OP
    OP
    pinkfloydeffect

pinkfloydeffect Member

No sarcasm, I really did not know about this tool.

I have not had much time to work on this problem, but yesterday it crashed so I decided to wait it out and see if it would BSOD and it eventually did with a watchdog violation error. I was fine upon restart but sometimes after it crashes like this it rejects my sound card drivers and I have to reinstall them. Seems like a sound hardware issue to me.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It is an awesome tool and an excellent starting point.

With the BSOD can you run WhoCrashed and then paste the 4-5 lines of error text:
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

What is the audio device, onboard or sound card?

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sounds like a process/app is taking a lot of cpu cycles when this happens. I'd be looking at closing some apps and troubleshooting the issue there.