UNLIMITED TPG Plan & New TPG ADSL2+ Plans and

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Fatmantan, Mar 9, 2010.

1. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Member

You are a lucky, lucky man.

2. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

For anyone looking to change wait till the end of the month to do it, they will change you the SAME day you apply to change it on the TPG website. Protip: Use that bandwidth you pay for and dont lose it like me.

God damnit this is the 3rd month now that I've fucked up and not done big numbers :(

3. vellanet

vellanet Member

You should try working for them, bloody frustrating!

+ It sucks being stuck on PGS

4. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

You get a refund for the days you don't use so it doesn't really matter when you upgrade.

5. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

QFT!

Same happened with me, they just paid me back the $ % of my bill that related to the Time % of how far we were through the month.

However, if one were to play their cards right, they would flat out download at the start of a new month (or contract start time), then once the quota is almost gone, switch, get paid back A lot more, and then start fresh. Almost like getting an extra month for free!

6. martino

martino Member

Is it really that much of a thrill to download as much as possible in a short time frame?

The internet will still be there next month..

7. Sindarin Ultra

Sindarin Ultra Member

I've taken advantage of this at least 4-5 times. TPG has changed the $70 plan several times, until the recent big improvements usually just giving slightly more peak and less offpeak (same total amount).

Download like crazy then change plan, but get refunded based on how long is left in the month wooo essentially free downloads ;)

Now on the 100GB/100GB 2Mbps/1Mbps shaping plan :)

8. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Its not a thrill, its serious business, I've got about 175gb of stuff queued up that I haven't had a chance to download yet.

Great news that I don't get charged! TPG kicks ass :thumbup:

9. matrixman

matrixman Member

TPG really kick ass!!! Soul/TPG just acquired Pipe network and i believe another kick ass plan coming in July..

10. power

power Member

you got any sources for that - that's serious business right there!

I did my upgrade yesterday, took an hour and 20 mins to update - TPG rock. Also I was on 150GiB before and am now on 200 - I don't really need the extra bandwidth I just love the idea of 2/1 shaping!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. impact_player

impact_player Member

Announced ages ago, but essentially finalised the other day: http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20100312/pdf/31p71sfry5k365.pdf

Also, I notice that the changes have come across to the Naked plans now as well...

LOL...exactly, and summer won't be, they should go play cricket while they have the chance.

Wow. Just wow. Downloading every Linux ISO in existence, huh... Do you ever stand back and think "hmm, that's someone else's property that I'm using without compensating them." Or at least put it in terms that are easy for you understand, like "how would *I* feel if someone did this to *my* intellectual property and effort."

12. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

I still pay my homeline budget even though I could get by without it. Telstra are ****s to deal with...... but thats nothing compared to the hell you'll experience trying to get a line fault fixed solely via your ISP (which you have to do if you have naked). Typically if I have no internet my voice service doesn't work either, and all I need to do is tell Telstra that my voice service doesn't work. Much quicker than fucking around via your ISP (Telstra runs them around like you wouldn't believe).

Not to mention that TPG's service is abysmal at best. I've shifted most of my offsite users (who work from home) onto non-TPG connections.

13. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Ok so I did read that stiglitz post. First off I wouldn't go around quoting stiglitz as gospel. You need to remember that book is simply his opinion, not fact. And discussion of intellectual property as a public good is laughable. Free market economics means that all demands would be realized so long as economic value is achieved not monetary value. If there were no economic value to the intellectual property the government would not be subsidizing it.

You claim that patents are necessary for any innovations to exist. this is false. You base all your assumptions on outcomes based solely on financial gain. example what is money to someone who is going to die in a week? If it costs $10m to research a cure potentially in their lifetime they will pay it, then the next person comes along and they spend $100k and so on and so on until the cure is reached. None of the participating individuals benefit financially, yet they still do it...look at realistic outcomes based on necessity rather than outcomes based on money. Medicine is just one example there are many industries that this example would hold true.

14. pipsqueak

pipsqueak Member

I'm thinking about signing up with TPG. I'm unsure after reading the complaints on Whirlpool but Whirlpool seems to be a place to post only complaints and problems.

Are the slow speeds between 5pm to midnight and on weekends a problem for some users or do most TPG users experience this?

15. OP
    OP
    Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

It's highly depedant on your exchange. I experience no slow downs whatsoever.

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

This. Generally issues are localised to exchanges, maybe cities sometimes. That said, I get capped at 7pm, so I couldn't really tell you if there is a slowdown between 5-Midnight. That said, I have only ever had issues getting full speeds back in Jan last year, during the infmaous 440kb/s offpeak capping saga of '09.

Having spent a long time on the TPG forums on WP, I can also say with confidence that 98% of problems are user error. I stick to download sources that I know are hosted on in datacenters with 50Gbit+ capacity, and with 20 threads, its full speed or close to it. If my speed isn't full on, its normally because one of my backups is hogging the upload and killing overall speeds, or my modem has dropped low on the connection stats, and a quick reboot fixes it.

The rule of thumb I take with new people to TPG are, if you can log into your router and know what attenuation/noise margain mean in regards to your connection, then TPG are fine. If your a person that connects the modem and thats all you know, then, well, you may need some help along the way, and TPG's support only reacts when you bring in the TIO.

17. matrixman

matrixman Member

so many people crying for available port on my exchange and i got 2 ready for signup...how much it would cost TPG for install more ports?

18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

A search on WP had it at around 100-250k for an install, as its abouts $1000 per port, with all the crap they have to jump through with Telstra.

Now compare that to the ~$5-30 profit margin per user, and they need all ports full for the next X years in order to break even. Since the NBN is on the way, its not good business sense to put a lot of money into DSLAMs.

19. avachat

avachat Member

Well what can I say, was on the 35+35 for sometime and ignored the Up-Side-Downgrades TPG were offering. To my surprise changing my plan was painless and simple. Have now Sidegraded to 80+60 which took a few seconds on their website and less than 24 hrs for the confirmation email + 10 seconds to reboot the modem. The only alteration to their conditions was that their Off Peak time has shrunk.
    Bugger me, but I never used more than 10% of the previous Off Peak anyway. So I have doubled my peak allowance for no additional cost.
    I think that anyone who bags TPG must have rocks in their heads.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  20. power

power Member

The what?

Yeah WP is full of dicks who wouldn't know a toasted modem from a virus from a genuine issue.

I have no speed issues.