"Unofficial" Telstra Cable speed increase

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by the_antipop, Apr 18, 2018.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey all,
    Not sure if you guys are aware, but Telstra have done a sneaky increase to the cable speeds over the past week.
    On Whirlpool, users have reported;
    • The base speed increased from 30down/1up to 50down/5up
    • The speedboost speed increased from 100down/2up to 117down/5up.

Nothing from Telstra describing the increase, but it seems to be across all their HFC networks. It may require a modem/router restart to come into effect.

2. Falkor

Falkor Member

Can confirm, rebooted last night and speed is increased! Pretty happy to get a free upgrade :)

the_antipop likes this.
  3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

note this is Telstra NON NBN HFC network... but I can confirm that for the past few months it's being rolled out across Australia

fredhoon and the_antipop like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Any reason why they've done it? Will there be a confirmation/press release about it soon?

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i've actually been trying to find out, I found out about earlier this year but I was told it was happening only in Adelaide and NSW as a trial, and then MAYBE out to the rest of Australia.. but in the last few weeks, it's gone nationwide. No official word has come out, but I've been told one will be coming out when it's rolled out completely (early May)

6. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

In a thread a while back I asked you tongue in cheek for a free speed increase in exchange for winding the quota back to 500G. Thanks for unintentionally delivering on the speed!

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I do have a lot of pull at Telstra, and I do what I can!

fredhoon likes this.
  8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

AWESOME

frantically F5s speedtest... DL is now 110 but still on 2M upload. Oh well

NBN can't stay far away enough!! (the promise of higher uploads is not worth the guaranteed installation / cutover aggravation / RSP contention issues)

9. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

To add to this, because I have been on telstra cable for over 24 months, and have the old Gateway Max modem (black), I was eligible for a free upgrade to the new Telstra Smart Modem with a Cable Adapter. Happy days! Lets hope that improves the overall speed, and fixes the Wifi that is a bit finicky with Gateway Max.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

40 up is soooo worth any inconvenience. It makes a tangible difference to the internet experience. Unless I'm torrenting, 100 down is nice but unnecessary, I'd be happy with 40/40 I think, but that 40 up is awesome if you upload a lot of stuff. It no longer takes me an hour to upload a 10 minute video, I love it.

You'll avoid contention issues by choosing an ISP without unlimited downloads. I'm fine with the 500GB quota I'm currently on, with a 100/40 connection, although I realise that in a reasonably small number of cases this won't be enough. I pay roughly the same as those ISP's with unlimited downloads for my 500GB ($80/month), the difference is I actually get the speed I pay for, reliably, 24/7.

The aggro that comes with connection difficulties is something I had to deal with unfortunately, but I am one of the unlucky minority in that respect. Although 90% trouble free connections claimed by NBN may be a pretty bad average really when it comes to this stuff, it still means you will have a 90% chance of no issues. Good odds for a great outcome.

A couple of minutes ago...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    firey4059 likes this.
  11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I hear ya and 100/40 looks tasty, but I don't upload sh1t except for dropbox syncing,goog photos syncing etc. which I don't care if they take ages. Though would defo make working over VPN easier.

Anyhow doesn't matter, no sign of NBN where I live yet....

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

if you HAVEN'T had your speed upgraded (to either 50/5 or 100/5), send me your username and i'll see what i can .. but here's mine

[​IMG]

perrymitchell likes this.
  13. KuNFuSHuN

KuNFuSHuN Member

I'm fed up of waiting for HFC to get around to my area, I am dated jan-june2019 and with all the dates jumping around I am prepared to jump onto a 24month contract for that 5up on Telstra cable from Optus cable I just don't want to go in blind signing up to a 24month contract and still get 1 or 2 up.

Am I being silly to want to sign up to a 24month contract even though I am dated jan-june 2019 to receive HFC which I can only assume going by the track record either the hit the target or get pushed back again?

Trying to get speed boost included as well through online chat but no one budging. I was told to try calling as they may have more authority.

Its also making it hard to move away from my Optus 100/2 speedboost free, fetchtv and unlimited data and calls all $90/month. Its an old plan but one of their best, though I really would like to jump ship just for that 5up but I am not willing to pay $40 more have speed boost included and the telstra tv/foxtel go package :(

Do we also know if this cable speed increase is because of the upgrade in preparation for NBN (HFC)? Is it permanent? Maybe it is best I wait for an offical announcement before I jump ship and sign up to a new contract?

14. yoink

yoink Member

Would this also work for cable users? Non-nbn...

15. KuNFuSHuN

KuNFuSHuN Member

This silent upgrade is for regular cable customers. I have also been asking online sales chat if they know about this but they are still only advertising the old speeds and not confirming the upgraded speeds.

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

woohoo 115/5 after a modem reboot, that's what you get for not paying attention.

17. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Got this also after a reboot, so useful, almost worth removing the speedpack and saving the 20

18. iinsom

iinsom Member

Hey mate, since you work at telstra, can you give me a heads up why my internet plan doesnt show when i login to the telstra page, it only shows my mobile plan.

Kinda annoying because i want to upgrade to the new modem, but i cant find my internet plan on there.

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

send me your bigpond username, i'll check it out

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm already getting 115Mbps, will I be getting anything different?

Apr 2017:
    [​IMG]