"Unofficial" Telstra Cable speed increase

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by the_antipop, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mine is apparently due from the end of this month. Haven't heard a peep from anyone about it.

2. iinsom

iinsom Member

got appt with ausbb in 2 weeks to get my nbn connected.

byebye telstra.

Hive likes this.
  3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

NBN HFC became available in my area about a month ago, Telstra has sent me about 6 letters (and emails) saying "NBN HFC is available, but there's delays so don't sign up just yet"

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

nbn hfc turned on in my area. I'd pre-ordered with AussieBB. Less then a week and i was online. So much for the delays!

I've still got my telstra account running for the next week or so, and side by side testing the download speeds are much the same, however upload is where its at!

Frustrating when i realized the hfc more then capable to deliver a 220/45 internet connection however its not an option on nbn.

5. garnet

garnet Member

paying $79 for telstra hfc atm for 100/5, shame am in contract for another 18 months or so, am not gona go to nbn so I can pay more for less speed :(

6. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I only realised NBN was finally available for me when Telstra indicated they were sending out a new NBN compatible router. I had signed up on nbn.com ages ago but I never received a thing LOL.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Recently found out there is actually a 300/5 non NBN HFC that was trialled at work

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

FFS, they've dropped me back to 50 "Standard Cable speed" now (according to my account anyways).....sigh.....have to call up again.

But yet here is my speed on speedtest....what gives??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  9. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

NBN or still on telstra HFC?

I think all of Telstra thinks "Standard Speed" on HFC and "Standard Speed" on NBN is the same thing.... They will move you from Telstra HFC to NBN and keep you on "Standard Speed" but you will actually go backwards.

NBN standard speed is NBN50 (50/20) , Telstra HFC standard speed is now 115/5

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Telstra HFC still.

Ahhh ok, thanks.

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Allegedly (lol) going on Telstra NBN with speed boost come monday. Going from 100/5 to 100/40 so fingers crossed.

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

10/10 would do again, down for all of 10 minutes.
    Unrelated rant: I wish people would teach all telecoms people the difference between a modem and a router. It makes communicating difficult for those of us who know....

[​IMG]

Side note: does anyone know anything re: flogging the Telstra Smart "modem" Gen 2 that they give you? Is it tied to you, esp. the SIM? Is it safe to flog if you simply remove the SIM?

13. iinsom

iinsom Member

You cant remove the SIM, and its tied to your account. So you cant sell it either.

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I just physically removed it.. lol

Tried to hack it but it simply won't authenticate (according to the console python output anyway) despite the credentials clearly working on the web UI, oh well.

Be nice to get 40-50 back for it? ONly really worried about the hardware itself tied to my account since you can remove the SIM. It looks totally fine for the average home user

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How much you paying?

16. power

power Member

you sure as shit can remove the sim, i can't see why you can't sell it - is it the NBN/FTTN version?

factory reset and it should remove your details. dunno why anyone would buy a technicolour hurl though.

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

90 + 30 speed boost