1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Engine v5

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by RnR, May 14, 2020.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We did the same somewhere late 2018-ish, and had the same results. Haven't tried since (got slammed by other jobs that made all the R&D guys too busy and pulled them all into production), but it'll be good to see results on new builds on new hardware.

2. boneburner

boneburner Member

Much more technical look at whats going on, have a read of this: This Is The Way @ American Cinematographer

As to the UE5 presentation - impressive even if some of the claims are a little smoke and mirrors. Still, no doubt the next consoles will be graphical beasts - all that remains is the answer to "but at what price"

3. power

power Member

PS5 and UE5 are interlinked.

https://www.theverge.com/21256299/e...-ps5-ssd-impressive-pc-gaming-future-next-gen

4. Zee

Zee Member

Hey now, go easy - ignorance is bliss! It took me a long time to learn to keep my mouth shut after I spent some time doing calibration. Knowing where to look, and what to look for is a big part of spotting flaws and issues. Most people are too blown away to see anything but shiny stuff!

Still, blown away, and looking forward to seeing what this actually brings in terms of gaming in the near future.

I'm actually watching all this quite carefully, as my oldest daughter is now 9, and well and truly int he gaming phase of life (she currently likes to play Minecraft and Roblox), so I'm looking to buy one of the next gen consoles for daddy and daughter gaming. The PS5 demos have looked far more interesting than the XBox demos...

Z...

5. asho444

asho444 Member

6. power

power Member

Cell in the right hands was good, unfortunately the right hands were rarely developing for Cell.

With PS5 and UE5 having this relationship you would hope that all developers will be able to easily tap into (read the job will be done for them) the PS5's potential.

elvis likes this.
  7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Indeed. And it's why I rabbit on in the XBox threads about why "TFLOPS or death" is the wrong way to look at how we'll measure the next gen of consoles.

We can't just keep brute forcing solutions all the time. Clever workarounds are needed, and I think there's some really clever collaboration going on there. Very nice to see tighter hardware/software integration once more, rather than vendors keeping each other at arm's distance.

Yeah, I feel that's a lesson I'm not likely to learn. Ever.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Well, there are exceptions. Like if I'm selling something, trying to piss off a Harldey Normal/JB salesman that is spinning shit to a customer/educational purposes on a forum, perhaps...

Z...

9. proffesso

proffesso Member

ps1,2 and 3 were all pushing hardware solutions that would make games better, the problem with a lot of games were ports. so you didn't want to need to go crazy on VU programming, or SPU programming when a Xbox didn't have any of that.

PS2 was a fillrate monster in its day, that's why all the first party games had shitloads of particles / alpha going on.

PS3 could transfer data between the spu's stupid quick, but you had to use them well to make use of it.

PS1 banked on 3d, even as simple as it was...no texture filtering etc, just simple raw polys to get the job done. N64 technically could draw more polys, but after texturemapping/shading, was severely limited. and Saturn (bless its heart) went all in on sprites

PS4, Xbox 1 are solid multicore machines, so programmers are finally making use of a set number of cores. not like in PC land where you have to support anything from a low end dual core all the way up to a ryzen. nothing is going to be finessed there, it just becomes a "bigger hammer" approach

PS5 and its storage system is going to be great. essentially its cartridge again. seek times can be expected / guaranteed, so streaming data becomes a hell of a lot more realistic. i'd almost be wondering if UE5's geometry is being streamed the way MegaTexture used to work (seeking small chunks of whats visible, rather than entire models) ...just with the hardware to support it

Ripley likes this.
  10. neRok

neRok Member

I watched the video. It was pretty good, but some things still looked a bit off, like the bugs.

But I wonder, as I've not seen nor looked for any technical details, what has actually changed that makes this not just another UE4 version? Just marketing/spin?

One thing they mentioned in the demo vid is the versatility and ease of use, and they mentioned CAD, which is where I've used it. But not the normal CAD they push, things like cars and machines, I'm talking mine sites and oil and gas plants. Originally you couldn't bring a BIM model straight into UE4, there were hoops to jump through. But the end result with no manual processing was either lots of meshes with low poly counts, or a few huge meshes with high poly counts. Both would destroy the engine's performance, as it just couldn't keep up with the culling. Now you can bring a BIM model straight in, but every part is a mesh. So I wonder if they've also addressed this aspect with the changes they mentioned that allow it to handle billions of triangles?! Because in my experience, a billion triangles in 1 statue (or whatever it was they mentioned near the end of the video), isn't the same as 1 million meshes with 1000 triangles each.

11. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

You raise some interesting questions neRok, Haven't seen further details.

I didn't like the water. Looked very wrong.

12. power

power Member

the water simulation shown wasn't great, probably the biggest letdown. Feet contact with surfaces was appreciated. I always hate that floating character look and this demo nailed the character model looking grounded and having weight.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Blizzard have done this for a while but not to that granularity. When something fresh is downloading, there are three markers; playable, something in in the middle and complete. Playable is usually about a third of the way in and lets you play but the assets are awful quality.

14. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Phwoar. I would really like another Unreal game now please (not Tournament, not a sequel to the godawful Na Pali or Unreal 2...) :D

bassyblue and RnR like this.
  15. proffesso

proffesso Member

It'll be interesting. Datasmith is getting more capable all the time, but we still use Pixyz to convert a lot of stuff and even then still need to clean up a lot (we import a lot from Revit/Navis) and yeah, 1000 obects with 5 polys is going to be a lot more expensive than 5x 1000 poly objects

16. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

The way that Epic handled UT4, I think they drove a stake through its heart. But a remake of the original Unreal.... that could just work.

17. power

power Member

they announced Fortnite for next gen, that's all you're gettin'.

18. z3099528

z3099528 Member

Facing worlds with a sniper or shock rifle rendered in ue5 would be alot of fun. Fortnite's success killed off ut4 very quickly

19. Sankari

Sankari Member

I just watched this in 2160p with my son. Utterly stunning. Love the contextual animation.

Probably requires a $9k PC to play, but oh well.

:wired: :Paranoid:

RnR likes this.
  20. lithos

lithos Member

Lotta 2D sounds in that demo...