[WORKLOG] unreal orange peel - updated 12/06/15

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by havabeer, Sep 5, 2014.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

so i've gotten the itch and moving onto a new project. going to go to acrylic rigid tubing route this time over metalic

Click to view full size!

i have a question though i'm planning on using 2x 360 rads cpu block and 2x gpus. i'm also considering using a 480 rad (purely for the MOAR RAD)

my pump how ever is the xspc 750 bay res/pump combo v2 do people think this pump will be up to the task of pushing the water around this loop effectively. not really keen on spending the money on a new pump and res.

anyway stay tuned for some more pics and worklog as parts arrive.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. HeXa

HeXa Member

no

and their reliability stinks

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

So what case lurks in that wrapper

4. shane41

shane41 Member

I'll have a punt on a Silverstone TJ-07 :Pirate:

5. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

nope is a little devil V8

(pics from for sale thread)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

yeah, i've had this pump for over a year, and i bought it 2nd hand runs with out a fault so i can't really complain about its reliability. i'm just worried a little about flow rate

6. big.fatwilly

big.fatwilly Member

The XSPC pump and res combo might be able to hack it... but im sure you would be able to get better flow rates with a proper pump. And bay reservoirs are usually more difficult to fill than tube ones that are often mounted in more accessible areas of the chassis.

Scour the for sale section every now and then for cheap D5's if you're not too picky about second hand products.

7. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

so finally started fiddling

my new build is going to consist of my old system:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4ghz
    GPU1: Gigabyte GTX 780
    GPU2: Gigabyte GTX 780 OC
    SSD: 500gig samsung 840
    HDD: 1.5tb Seagate
    RAM: 16gig G*skill 2133

cooling: 360 koolance rad, XSPC 750 v2 bay res

the new parts:

Case - As mentioned above i bought a 2nd hand Little Devil v8 case. the case came with the orange internals so thats the theme i've decided to run with.

Rad - bought another 360 rad and probably a 480 rad as well. purely because i can, i dont really expect to get much better temps

Fans - corsair sp120 performance, these will crank up to 2100rpm if needed but won't exactly be wisper quite, but they do well with thick rads (the new rad i bought is a chunky beast). so if i need to i can run the thick rad a bit faster and slow the others right down.

Fan controller - bought a lamptron fan controller, has changeable lcd back light but too bad it doesn't have orange. i'll run one channel per rad and maybe the case fans on the last.

Tubing - going to go the rigid acrylic tubing again this time around, as i can use saates awesome fittings. Metal tubing was fun to play with but is just such a bastard to work with so i bought some orange UV tubing to use.

will try to update with some pictures as i go. i'm hoping to have most of the other bits i need by this weekend so i can do the great swap. i also need to try bending the tube before hand so i dont make to many mistakes.

[​IMG]

this is the bare bones i have to work with. tossing up between a 480 and 360 rad in the bottom. or two 360 rads in bottom and the 480 up top. i think i'll have to wait till the 480 turns up to work this one out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so waiting for other parts to arrive i decided to put in the fan controller and one of the 140mm intake fans (i forgot to buy two). i can see this case having a large problem with dust as there are just no filters anywhere other then a terrible looking magnetic one on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

did some test fitting of my new/2nd hand 360 rad. its a nice chunky 55mm thick. the fans on the front actually come with a interchangeable ring, blue white and red. so i thought i'd just quickly try and slap some spare spray paint on the white one and see how it goes. they actually come up pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm just not sure if they really stand out much with the grill back on. i'll just have to suck it and see.

[​IMG]

couple of photos of the tubing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i've bought a couple of molex UV LEDs but i just don't think they're going to be bright enough to really light up the case and tubing. i may need to look at a strip of either white, orange or UV LEDS to go in there as well

cheers

8. GOD

GOD (Banned or Deleted)

Two of these for MoORRR PUMPNESS......rofl...

[​IMG]

9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Any progress with the build

10. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

sorry mike,

just waiting for parts to turn up from over seas and a few other places.

hopefully a big update this weekend.

11. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Ideally uv ccfl's for an even glow, otherwise two strips of leds with the second strip offset so there would twice the amount of leds and less 'spotlighting'.

12. Mrfocal

Mrfocal (Banned or Deleted)

I got the same case but in white I am doing a build in, will be watching yours to steal ideas haha

13. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

its the other way round, i'm just waiting for you to finish yours

one thing i'm a bit concearnerd about with this orange build is the fact its harder to match colors. i had a nice idea of painting my pump/res a translucent orange, but found it looks odd as its quite a different shade of orange compared to the case and even the painted fans.

the orange spray paint i have seems to be pretty close to the original so i'm going to have to paint everything in that i think.

14. Mrfocal

Mrfocal (Banned or Deleted)

I have done a heap more on mine. You know what, I will go hook up the mrs computer so I can update my thread and start another one for my parvum build.

Also you can get paint colors matched and they put it in a spray can for you.

15. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

the orange you glad i didnt say banana update

so update time:

All my parts arrived today so started to do some assembling. i bought some new components, its probably not really worth the upgrade with the new CPU's and GPU's about to be launched.

but i purchased:
    Gigabyte z97 SOC
    and
    i5 4690K

mainly bought the gigabyte due to its orangeness but the rest of my bits and pieces turned up from america (frozen cpu). theres 480 rad for up top and will have two 360's down below. the 480 rad is only a thin fella so i won't expect huge results with it but certainly can't hurt.

[​IMG]

something i didn't know the mobo came with is a black I/O plate. which suits the back of the case 1000 % more then any silver one would have.

[​IMG]

the orange and black mobo i think really suits and matches the color fine. hopefully the red g skill ram i have doesn't clash too much with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put the fans on the 480 rad, it actually come with some all copper screws which i think look cool and would suit any copper tube build. but it was down to the shed to paint the final 4 fan rings. i think over all it came up great, i just need to get some shorter screws to mount the thing properly as the ones provided are too long. i might even try painting the heads of them orange to put a tiny bit of color on outside top of the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think i may need to flip the fans around so the cables are on the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pump wise instead of re using my XSPC 750 i bought a 2nd hand D5 and EK res, my original intention was to paint the thing in translucent orange. i bought a little tub of the hobby stuff and started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

painting the brush seemed to give it a darker color but it was just so streaky which i guess it just one of the joys of painting pespex. the paint never really seemed to adhere either as i went to apply a 2nd coat and it started dragging the first coat off with it.

[​IMG]

so i bought a pressure pack can of the same stuff hoping it would get rid of my streak problem, which it did but the color just turned out shit, its almost a urine yellow rather then a deeper orange that i need. it still ran a bit as well during painting.

so i'm at a bit of a conundrum if a give it another coat and see if it will darken up any more at the cost of the transparentsy or i just paint the thing with orange spray paint hiding it all, i'd just have to check water level through filler cap.

so of the photos dont really show the color clash. its also quite a ways different from the tubing color as well which i think will stick out like dogs balls when it gets installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plan on mounting it at the bottom of the case. i've also bought a 20mm think piece of perspex which i plan on mounting on the bottom of the case. i'm going to drill and tap some 1/4 threads in it and use it as a bulk head fitting and to cover all the holes in the bottom of the case. will paint it all orange rather then leaving it clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is how it stands untill the weekend when i can pull my current system apart and start bending up some tubes. it is still a fair way off from being complete. still have to work out how and where i'm going to mount some UV led's, cable management etc

cheers

[​IMG]

16. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Tricky, holdon outs, what time your postie work till:p

17. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Havabeer
    you get it up & running or you fall asleep @ the k/b;)

18. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

yeah i keep staring at it knowning i should be doing something about it.

my main trouble is i'm re-using some parts from my current working computer so i need to probably have it out for a couple of days while i get it all done. plus have some other bigger projects going on (building a pergola etc)

hopefully i'll get it up and running before all the hardware becomes obsolete

19. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

you got a build log for that pergola happening;)

20. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Havabeer, you get this thng together yet, or u still building that pergola:tongue: