Unreleased Duke Nukem discovered in Library of Congress

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Aug 8, 2014.

1. power

power Member

Unreleased Duke Nukem discovered in Library of Congress

It's for the PSP so it probably sucks, lol.

Wonder what other treasures are hidden away and haven't seen the light of day, there are many games that were worked on and have not seen the light of day - some get completed while others are lost to time.

[​IMG]

Duke’s Legacy: Video Game Source Disc Preservation at the Library of Congress

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Sooo, did he try to load the game onto a PSP?!

3. Krumm

Krumm Member

Always interesting when stuff like this pops out and would be love to see it arrive in the public domain but license issues always seem to be a problem or the inclusion of licensed tools / engine with source code as when Jedi Knight 2 source code was released.

Reminds me of a thread on 3D Realms Forums when the new owners Interceptor Entertainment were going through all the software and disks and finding old betas for Shadow Warrior and Prey but most of it will never see the light of day due to licensing rights that they no longer own the IP for. This may have changed since last I looked months ago as they were trying to seek permission to release when last I read the thread.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

God dammit. My first thought was it was going be an unreleased add on or something similar for the original Duke Nukem's. PSP, meh!

Yeah it's depressing to think there are many games that programmers spent countless hours only to never see the light of day. One which came to mind was the Ultima 8 expansion "The Lost Vale". They spent countless hours producing it, had it all ready to ship to the publisher, then it got canned.

There's a good read here from Sheri Graner Ray on it's development and ultimate demise.

The Lost Vale literally got lost. They didn't have decent backups back then so all that work is gone. :(

5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I was hoping it was one of the early builds of Duke Nukem Forever, like they showed at E3 around 2001. :(

6. xsive

xsive Member

Still the best Duke Nukem :D

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Can't beat the original. :D This and Commander Keen used to get played to death back in the early 90's.

8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I loved Duke 1 and 2. Although 2 probably suffered a bit from the huge sprites and comparatively small gameplay screen

9. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Interesting but.... what are they gonna do with it?

I thought the library of congress only accepts things of major significance decided by them.

10. Wizard2k

Wizard2k Member

agreed duke 2 was also very good

all the original apogee titles were awesome. still play to this day