Unstable internets at home

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by m0n4g3, Sep 18, 2013.

1. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So i'm with IInet, and previously have had success with them in my area (recently moved).

Their support has been fantastic in helping me get the new place up and running and i've been talking to them about crappy speeds that i should not be getting at the house.

The issue is that i'll sync at 16000, and i'll be able to use it at this for like a day or 2, then all of a sudden it will drop down to like 6000-4000. Line attenuation will shoot up and it will start to drop sync as well.

Tech has been out multiple times and keeps saying the phone is fine, the phone is fine (funnily enough while i was on the phone to the iinet tech, the phone line cut out half way through the conversation, and this was after the tech was there).

What i have found is that the first wall socket in the house is faulty (i wiggled the phone line, and all internet access stopped, it dropped sync, and then it connected in at 900).

Are telstra responsible for this first wall socket, or do i have to get a sparky in to sort that out?

2. knowskillz

knowskillz Member

First wall socket is Telstra if you are in a house, if you are in a unit/apartment then you'll have get your own guy.

3. Eagertman

Eagertman Member

If your issues are within the boundaries of your house, it's your problem for the most part. (Interesting to read knowskillz info ^)

I've had some success just replacing old telephone leads with new ones to the modem etc... sometimes the connections are a little corroded. Check the female connector on your modem too, and anything to the telephone you're using.

I'm assuming your splitter is fine, as is the modem itself?

Did you have everything still connected during a storm recently?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Modem is fine, no splitter as i don't have a phone connected. Only device on any phone socket is the modem.

The modem worked perfectly fine at the old house and synced at 21000. New house (about 200m down the road), should be getting around the 16000 mark, which it does, but as mentioned the first phone socket is shagged, so it drops sync at random intervals and then reconnects at like 5000-6000.

Thanks for the info knows, i'll let iinet know the first socket is shagged! :D

5. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So had a talk to IINET, and apparently telstra will charge me to get that replaced.... *le sigh*

Going to see if an electrician at work can help me out now... :-/

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Getting a friendly leccy to fix it is a much cheaper option ;)

7. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Just a check that you are not connected to a cable service (Foxtel, etc), or have a back to base alarm. These will also affect your throughput.

8. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

There is a pay-tv service (foxtel satellite) with a second socket in one of the bedrooms (this has been disconnected now though).

modem is the ONLY thing connected in the house, and technician has been around to check for noise, checked the connections everything.

Says everything is "fine" but both a 7800n and a netgear dg834 connect @ 16mbps, then drop down after a while to 5mbps if the cable is touched near the wall plate.

Previous to this house, it was rock solid, both modems, and same cables being used (have used a different cable).

9. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So this has continued to happen (asked property managers to replace the phone socket *since it IS part of the property* and they said that it's up to me to replace it, i then asked iinet to get a technician out here to replace it, and they say that it's up to me to organise an electrician in, or i will have to pay... which i'm more than happy for them to come in and get it replaced.).

It's now every 55 seconds it drops sync, or sync stays up and the PPPOE connection just stops working, and i get a No Response error on the PPPOE connection.

Interesting note, is that SNR drops down to like 0.1 for upstream and 2.8 for downstream.

Is there anything i can do to make them fix this shit... it's been happening for over a month now...

Maybe i should just hookup 240v to the phone port... that might get them fucking moving... *sigh*

So the copper is working perfectly fine in this country hey caspian? Go fuck yourself if you think it is...

Oh yer forgot to mention, telstra tech has been here 3 times now apparently, and the connection is right as rain.... yer sure... if you don't want to use the fucking internet. Had it with the sad state of affairs that is our fucking communications network in this pathetic excuse of a country.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. caspian

caspian Member

actually, no it's not. it's part of the phone line, as you say it's the first socket above.

I don't believe I ever said it was, certainly not every individual instance - but please feel free to show me where I did if you believe otherwise. what I said was that the copper was generally adequate for FTTN delivery.

I believe the road network in Melbourne is generally OK too. isolated potholes don't change that, they get addressed individually.

but hey, it's always nice to get a mention. :thumbup: :lol:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  11. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Has anyone actually replaced/reterminated the phone port you think is dicky? If not, then pay someone to do it. Rule that out. From my history with ISP's, they are responsible to the first point in the house. That could be a physical phone point, or it could be a luchre box on the side of the house (about 10cmx15cm, could be any colour you can imagine, mine has been green, blue and black in the past 9 years - just depends on how lazy the guy painting/rendering the house happens to be at the time). If you have a luchre box, telstra will only touch up to that point - beyond that it is inside your house and more than likely will charge you. If you don't then they are responsible to the first point, which means they should be sorting the phone port free of charge if thats the problem. Have you shown the telstra techs who come out that it truly fucks up when you play with the cord? It can sometimes take a few different techs before you get one that's actually capable enough to be called a tech...

Just as a side note, saying that the copper is shit in the area if it is just your phone port is like saying that all tap water tastes bad while you are drinking from a dirty cup... Not saying there aren't problems with the copper - there are regular problems that are only bandaid fixed, its just not an entirely fair statement

12. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

There's no box, it's straight to the phone port, and as far as I'm concerned it's as much part of the property as is the lead in for the power. Don't see the tenant having to pay for that... Yet for comms which is more an integral part of life as anything else we have now... I have to pay for? Sure righto! :)

Btw I wasn't saying the copper is shit. I know it's reasonably good. What I'm saying is Telstra techs are a bunch of dicks, particularly when I agree to the costs of ANY work done on the line and happy to pay for it (hell I'm 100% sure I could afford to replace the entire Fkn line straight back to the exchange!), but yet they just say the line is fine, don't come to the property to fix anything and then proceed to say the line is fucking fine while I'm dropping out every minute, and today not even able to hold sync AT ALL for the past 12 hours...

Sorry for the dig caspian. Just constantly hear you spouting the copper is fine for use whether that be for adsl or FTTN is regardless of the point I haven't had proper sync for 1.5 months, had a tech out 2 times now to tell me the line is fine, and yet.... They are more than happy for me to waste my time calling tech support every other day on my mobile, use my mobile data for proper work, and then still charge me for a connection I can't use.

It's all good though... You have your 100mbits... The rest of the country can go fuck themselves eh? ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  13. caspian

caspian Member

the opt-in callout fee doesn't apply to fixing faults with your line. it's a potential fee if the fault is found to be outside the Telstra network.

I've seen it cost $35,000 to replace 100 metres of copper. are you sure about that?

Telstra's definition of "acceptable" is generally a lot lower than most people's expectations, granted. however, those standards haven't changed for quite some time - it's the expectations that have.

I repeat, I didn't say every single phone line in the country is fine. in fact, the project I worked on to develop the VDSL2 technology estimated that $10billion would need to be spent on remediating the copper, and that was some years ago, and to the previous ALP-defined 12Mbps standard.

I dare say the price has gone up significantly since then, especially since the target has doubled.

if the LNP put their money where there mouth and policies are, their FTTN solution is likely to get you a fixed up line and a workable connection faster than the ALP's FTTP would have.

as before, that's on average. you might have been slated to get FTTP in 12 months, in which case you're not happy. on the other hand, you might have been putting up with your current problem for the next 10 years.

would you be happy to look forward to FTTP in 2023, or would you prefer a fixed up line sooner?

14. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I would put up with FTTP for when it was projected to be put up in my area had this fucking pathetic excuse of a government not come in.... March this coming year.

At least I KNOW for a fact that the reliability of the fibre would be infinitesimally better than copper.

I work with quite a a lot of different tech at work for comms (obviously not to the extent you do caspian), copper and fibre is one of them for connecting up different mine site offices... When the copper is having issues guess what we replace it with? If we want reliability... Guess what we replace it with? I'll give you a hint... It ain't more copper!

So, I've had the tech out here 2 times, neither of them have been an ISSUE internally or outside of their network... Yet... Those fuckwits still continue to say the damn line is fine?

LITERALLY every 55 seconds it drops sync, and all of today (now been 32 hours) I've not had sync... So yer the line is working as intended... If you lived in a fucking third world country where they don't have adsl, Internet, or even a computer.

Now am I going to be recompensed for this pathetic excuse of service? Fuck no, is Telstra going to pay for my mobile bill for going over the alotted gb limit I have on my mobile plan, because their fucking stupid techs can't fix the problem that is CLEARLY their issue? Nope. Not a single cent is coming out of their pocket...

Btw mods you can close this thread it's going nowhere. No advice is being offered I'm just told that I should bend over take the pineapple up the asshole, and smile about it coz it's the best deal ever! :D

Thanks.

15. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

So I take it you haven't replaced the wall socket yet?

16. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Been replaced by a qualified electrician with an Austel license from work with a new wall plate on Saturday.

Was still getting dropouts. Now no sync what so ever.

17. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Any noise on the phone line? Or is it just randomly cutting out?

Might also have a word with as many people living in your street, see how their internet is. If a few others are having problems, it might pay to mention it to the next telstra "tech" that walks in the door. While they are there - do you have sync, or does drop out?

Is it iiNet thats sending out the telstra tech's or are you organising them? Either way, try and push for either an area manager or a higher level tech to come out. Emphasis the fact that they have repeatedly come out with no resolution. What do iiNet say about the issue? Are they saying its a line problem? If so, can they give you any more information?

Since the socket was replaced, was the internet any different at all? Do you know if sync dropped when you played with the cable in the socket after it was replaced?

18. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

No noise on the phone now. The internet did not change when the socket was replaced. It still had dropouts. No insta-drop outs when playing with the socket though. But the connection itself was not any more stable than before.

IInet is sending the techs out, but can't tell me any more I for as it's an offnet connection so they have no access to the details of the connection (or so they tell me).

A guy I know 2 houses down, no issues. We live in a pretty small community (3000 ppl) and there's not ALOT of houses for the exchange to service. I was probably less than 200m away and I was served by the one and only exchange we have here, and it was literally a perfect connection. Now... The pineapple seems like a good alternative! :)

Thanks for the advice about the area manager. I'll make sure I mention that along with not letting him leave the premise until the issue is sorted.

19. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

They should be able to tell you something... Do they have their own they send out, or is it just straight telstra techs they send? I've found the ISP's techs tend to like speculating on what the problem could be, if they aren't able to solve it themselves. Half the time, it basically ends up as being telstras problem according to them, but occasionally there is someone decent

Also, whats the connection like while any techs are there? Is it stable, or are they leaving while it is down, but still saying its ok?

20. OP
    OP
    m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

They have never been to my premise at all.

It's Telstra techs they send out.