UPDATE 2! 5/12/2017 | Project: Flash by aeries

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by aeries, Jun 24, 2016.

1. aeries

aeries Member

Hi OCAU :)

Some of you may have seen me around in the E&WC subforum, but this time I figured I'd post a buildlog here :thumbup:

As the creator of Project: mono. and Project: TITAN, I am proud to announce the start of a new watercooling project - Project: Flash.

Flash will be a journey into uncharted waters for me, as I have not watercooled a system which is so small - I like working in big cases so I have a lot of space. The aim of Flash is to pack enough power to run most of the demanding titles in the current era inside a VERY small case and form factor. Another aim of Flash is to bring back soft tube watercooling, which I feel has been neglected in favour of PETG pipe by most modders nowadays (as a LAN rig, it's also more practical). The name also pays tribute to the game I play most - CS:GO...this project is 100% funded by the profits I made within the game by betting, so it's good to see pixels transitioning into something tangible and usable.

I've already decided on most of the components within this build, and I'm very honoured to be helped by dinos22 from GIGABYTE:

[​IMG]

It's gonna be a tight squeeze...

Hope you are all as keen as I am for this project, and I'd love to hear any comments, questions or complaints rofl :lol:

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Reserved. :thumbup:

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

apply named, with the speed you do builds:eek::shock::p

4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Subbed

:lol::lol::lol: :thumbup:

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Nice looking case.

20L it is huge for itx.

6. roamin

roamin Member

and here i am subbing to keep an eye on this, your previous builds are nice!

7. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey invar, any progress or updates

8. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

[​IMG]

unfortunately none because the case is still being powdercoated in LA...

and my "helpers" aren't here because they're on holidays or too busy atm...

rest assured, when something juicy comes you'll hear about it first!

9. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Hi guys :)

So this arrived yesterday arvo, just waiting for a few more bits and bobs and we can begin :thumbup:

[​IMG]

the plan is for a predominantly red and white build, so it looks like I will have to strip some parts and go and spraypaint it a bit. I'll also need a couple of holes to get a nice clean watercooled look.

Hopefully I'll have some plans up later this week because to be honest I still don't know how I'm going to tackle this project, and I'm still yet to hear from caselabs in regards to an ETA for my case :(

10. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

A taste of what's to come...

[​IMG]

11. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

any build progress yet;)

12. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Update 1!

Jesus christ, been over three months since I started this project...Better get it done...

It's ironic that I did call it Flash and I really wanted to complete it within a week or two, but then uni and exams and other crap came around...fast forward to today and

HERE'S THE FIRST UPDATE :D:D:D

First and foremost, thanks to dinos22 and GIGABYTE for sponsoring this build and providing me with a top-tier mITX motherboard - the Z170N Gaming 5. More on that later ;)

Where to begin?

PART 1: HARDWARE AND WATERCOOLING PLANS

A few months back I finally received the case which I wanted to do this build in - the CaseLabs Bullet BH4 case :)

[​IMG]

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was originally going to get the BH2, but it would have been way too ambitious to fit a "thick" 240 rad in and watercooling gear.

A few exterior shots to show you guys what's going on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gear that's going inside...(give or take a few things)

[​IMG]

Let's take a look at the motherboard (again, thanks to Dino and GIGABYTE):

[​IMG]

Mounted!

[​IMG]

The aim of this rig is to be as simple as possible, so no 2.5" drives! only an m.2 drive for Steam and OS.

[​IMG]

A view of the inside (with some stuff fitted in):

[​IMG]

The original plan was to have the 240 rad at the front of the case, but because i didnt measure or account for how long the 1080 was, i've had to mount it at the top. definitely a curveball for the project...

[​IMG]

With the waterblock on. Gonna have to think of a creative way to get everything together...

[​IMG]

The other side of the motherboard tray area.

[​IMG]

Notice the clearance (or lack of) after the rad is mounted on the top. There's no waterblock on the CPU yet because I lost my white raystorm but it's already a tight squeeze. After I put the ram in, it's going to be a hell of a task.

[​IMG]

It's also because of the lack of clearance that I'll probably be forced to go the PETG route as much as I don't want to. It's the only way I can envision a clean mod and a simple route for the water within the designated space. :mad::mad:

I'm also stumped as to which reservoir to get. Here's some measurements that I took earlier today to see the dimensions that a possible res could fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm tossing up between the EK X-Res 110? (the tiny cylinder one) with a white cap and bottom, or the Bitspower Hexagon Tank. Both fit within my planned area but each have their own drawbacks:

- The Hexagon tank costs almost $150 to import to my doorstep
    - The EK res can't be mounted in a secure way because there's nowhere to attach the mounting clips

I suppose I could always get a piece of metal and paint it white and slap it on somewhere to mount the EK res, but I don't think I can do a clean job of it. The hexagon tank has multiple ports and because it has a flat base, I can mount it to a fill port hole through the motherboard tray and have it balanced perfectly...

Here's the bottom of the case:

[​IMG]

I removed the SSD bay because that's where I'm putting a DDC in, and the hard drive cage will follow suit because I don't have any drives to put there. It'll also be a nice place to tuck away random stuff that I don't want to be seen. I have a rough idea of how the water will flow, but again it will require a few holes to be drilled and a few bends. Not too fussed though.

PART 2: CABLING

I've also had the pleasure of working with this power supply. It's so tiny! :o (twss) :Pirate:

[​IMG]

Size comparison to my Zowie EC1-A...pretty much similar width l0l

[​IMG]

A small power supply and a small case means I'll need some shorter cables...so it's time to measure the lengths and send them off to Mundi at Icemodz.eu :) Here's the cabling that I'll need

[​IMG]

The original GPU cable position - nice and clean. However, the cable runs through where I want to put the reservoir...so that's a no go :(

[​IMG]

Here's the new cable route for the 1080. I like it because it's sneaky and efficient:

[​IMG]

The CPU cable. nothing much to say really:

[​IMG]

DISASTER 1: the 24pin is too short. guess the case is slightly too big for the SFX psu, I'm missing about 3-4cm for the cable to barely reach the connector, so I'll have to get a 40cm long cable so that I get a smooth run.

[​IMG]

DISASTER 2: since the USB3 connector is located in a very inconvenient position in the middle of the motherboard, the cable from the front I/O actually touches the fan at the top, and will probably stop it from spinning at the optimum speed. Looks like no front usb 3 for me

[​IMG]

I'll also need a short molex cable for the DDC. Since there's no 2.5" or 3.5", i wont need sata power so that's less cable clutter.

There's also only two fans on the PC so I won't need any extra 3 pin headers. It would be convenient to dig a 3 to 1 splitter though to keep the cabling tidy.

PART 3: PAINTING

To be continued. Going to Bunnings to grab some normal spraypaint as well as white plastidip. Looks like the plan to paint the motherboard is still continuing, as well as some Asiimov-inspired motifs outside the case. I have a few ideas about what to do, but nothing set in stone just yet. I'm also planning something funky for the GPU block cover, I want it white with some orange pattern so it won't look so plain if you stare into the windows.

I think that's a pretty good wrapup of what I've done (or not done :p) for the past three months in terms of this project. Definitely more to follow in the near future as I order more watercooling kit and drain my wallet.

P.S. Does anyone know where to get white barrow fittings? Can't seem to find the Australian retailer of them on eBay and I don't want to wait a month to get them from yumchaland

13. cesario

cesario Member

Nice build so far,
    Thought about using a fan grille to stop the USB3 cable pushing on the fan, alternatively you can get slim USB3 extensions which will clear it too.

14. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Any updates on this? :)

15. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Haven't forgotten about this at all. In fact, it's a priority, but with uni and work piling up, as well as the fact that my orders from aliexpress never turning up, I guess progress has been slow.

I've also lost contact with Icemodz which is quite unfortunate.

Right now, for those of you that are wondering, the PC has been looped up and is running, but it's nowhere near completed yet.

Ironic because mad_mic's premonition did come true :Pirate:

16. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

use the power from within & get it done;)

17. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

it's actually super hard because my fittings never come even though i've ordered twice from aliexpress and my cable sponsor backed out :(

18. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

they are just hurdles to test you, overcome & move forward
    buy local if you keep having trouble with buying online from overseas

19. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Holy shit he's back!

A small update - a bit more shit to follow as the week progresses.

So with uni exams (almost) over, got a bit of spare time to actually start doing the PC as I wanted to do it.

This was how the PC looked for about seven months:

[​IMG]

Usable, but definitely not aesthetic and not what I envisioned. So, it's about time to get the pump, res, and lay out my plans for the build.

[​IMG]

My first time using a DDC, but there was no way I was gonna fit a D5 in this case. The res is a Bitspower Hex Tank, took a bit of time and effort to track one down. It looks fucking amazing though, and really fits in with the Asiimov theme.

[​IMG]

Ideally where the reservoir will go is in front of the GPU, directly above the pump. I guess that's the only place the res can fit anyway, I couldn't fit a bigger res within the case.

[​IMG]

So somewhere around there looking like that. And the pump would sit under it like so:

[​IMG]

The clearance is also super tight on the CPU/Rad side, kinda regret getting a thick rad but I'll need it. There's barely any room, especially if you put the RAM in.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the RAM in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now time to hack the case!

Ideally, I'd need holes for the tube to pass through to the under section of the motherboard plate cleanly. I'm a huge fan of the clean pass through concept as it's easy to maintain and visually appealing to separate the bends underneath with the bends on top. That way, the build can function AND look amazing where it has to. So, time to mark out and drill the holes!

[​IMG]

The "finished" mobo plate. It's a bit rough because we used HSS drillbits instead of cookie cutters or step drills, and we used a MASSIVE dremel that was more to cut sheet metal than to carefully cut a hole in small panels. Note the scratches :upset:

I also "dremeled" a hole 1.5cm by 13cm for the 24 pin, as well as the USB3 and the front panel. If I ever needed to put a sata ssd in later, this hole would also give me the option to.

[​IMG]

Some mock fittings with the main panel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SIDE NOTE: you might be wondering about the six lines directly under the gpu inlet ports. The original idea was to have them come up with a 90 degree bend for that clean look. However, the holes would be directly under the PSU, so drilling anything near there wouldn't work. The holes had to be past the sixth line to clear the PSU and the cables, so I opted for a different path for the water, which you'll see later on

Of course, it's not gonna look like this :lol: :

[​IMG]

Might Look more like this though:

[​IMG]

Res in the correct place:

[​IMG]

What I didn't show you guys was the bottom of the case... I had to drill 4 holes to secure the DDC to the bottom of the case. However, i can show you guys this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pump has been successfully connected to the GPU inlet port! glad that it all fits. A bitch to put on and remove though. Above the pump is obviously the res, so that's like 20-30% of the plumbing done :thumbup:

I'll end this update with a mock fitting of everything

[​IMG]

And here's a little tease for the next update: my first time bending PETG! (for my own pc, anyway)

[​IMG]

Anyway, thanks to anyone who's reading this and can still remember who the fuck I am :lol:

See you guys in a bit :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  20. karigan

karigan Member

:) looking good buddy!