[UPDATE] faceoffIM - a free standalone facebook chat client (for office workers, etc)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by m0zzie, Apr 16, 2009.

1. m0zzie

m0zzie Member

I hope I'm allowed to promote a free application I've written here - if not, feel free to delete it mods :)

Recently I've been developing an application which was originally intended for myself to be able to keep in contact, while at work, with friends who were using facebook chat. I wanted something I could use to see online friends, and quickly say something if I needed to - but without the distraction of facebook, and without the need to have a web browser open (doesn't look too good if the boss walks past and sees that).

The application has matured a bit and grown into something I've now given to quite a few friends who all use it on a day-to-day basis - so I've now launched a website for it too, and decided to make it openly available to anyone.
    Most have found it most useful for its quick-hide feature, which is a "panic button" for when you're mid-sentence with a friend and the boss walks past.

If anyone is interested, the website is http://www.faceoffim.com/

Update 18th August 2009: The website is now back up after downtime. Big thanks to KatatonicKwan here on the forum! Also, I'm moving on the weekend and will have my PC fully back online and will be able to release an update which will allow credentials to be supplied with proxy settings, as requested by many.

Update 16th June 2009: New version released today (v1.0), the client works again after facebook's "username" implementation over the weekend, plus proxy support which I had many many requests for. See changelog for full list of changes.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. flores741

flores741 Member

I will definitely give this a go. I've been using meebo as it has support for Facebook chat. It still has bugs though. I'm sure you've come across it.

3. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Yeah I've seen meebo and a few other web based ones, but part of the aim of mine was to be wholly desktop based, so there is no need to have a web browser open at all, and when you aren't using it it just stays in the system tray near the clock.

Have had pretty positive feedback from users so far, with one or two minor bugs but nothing that has stopped anyone using it.

Let me know if you have comments / suggestions / bug reports when you use it - would love feedback as I want to make it as powerful and stable as possible :)

4. Apocolypse

Apocolypse Member

not sure if you know but there is a program called Digsby that does the same thing but you can put all your IM clients in there and have them logged in at the same time

5. saba

saba Evil Vizier

Pidgin, too.

6. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Yeah I am aware of Digsby and Pidgin, however they didn't suit what I'm after. This is a sort of customised thing for myself and a fair few friends of mine who also work in an office. It uses tabs for separate chats rather than separate windows, and just a few other things to keep it a very basic chat client in one simple window.

I'm a programmer by career and I enjoy doing this kinda stuff in my spare time so it's just my own little project, customised for myself and office workers in general. (ie, the hiding features are in there for a few friends who aren't really supposed to use "facebook" so to speak, but they're allowed to use IM - this lets them do it without having any problems from their bosses)

Anyways, if anyone here uses it and has any feature requests/suggestions or comments, don't hesitate to contact me.

7. ECHO

ECHO Member

Good job :)

8. DarkAshley

DarkAshley New Member

Nice little app, though there is no function if you are behind a proxy, anyway to get the feature added?

9. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Had someone request that on Friday, I have no idea why I hadn't already thought of it considering the amount of companies that do require proxies.

Will get onto this tonight and hopefully have a new version over the next few days with full proxy support.

Cheers for the suggestion :)

10. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

<3 Pidgin = no extras! just chat

11. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

Trying it out now, works pretty sweet.

12. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Nice little program. I'll help you debug if I find any issues.

Cheers.

13. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

Thanks guys, have had a couple of emails with pretty positive comments so far. Keep them coming, I'm very interested in feedback.

Was working on it a little after work over the past 2 nights, proxy support is just about done, sound events are done - working on fixing the sorting for the names list too, ever since I rewrote it it's been a lot quicker and more efficient but I half broke name sorting. :Pirate:

Will hopefully have a new version out late tonight or at some stage tomorrow.

Have also noticed a number of people don't have .NET installed, so the program doesn't run for them and they don't understand why - I think I need to get a proper installer happening for it, so the installer can tell them they don't have .NET framework v2.0 and it can download it for them if they so choose.

14. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I'd suggest putting a 'Screenshots' section on your webpage.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but me personally, and quite a few people I know tend to prefer seeing a few screenshots of something in action before going to the hassle of downloading and installing it. (even if its only a small download, and takes 2 seconds to install)

It would prob take about 5-10 minutes to get a few screenshots up on the website, and at the end of the day should encourage more people to download the program. (if that's what your after)

15. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

This is a very, very good point. I'm exactly the same as you, I'm far more likely to download something if I've seen screenshots of it first.
    Uploaded screenshots today during my lunchbreak.

Unfortunately work has been keeping me flat out (even at home during my "spare time"), so I haven't had a chance to get the proxy updates complete and get the new version out there.
    I'm hoping I can get them complete when I get home from work this evening, and also get the installer going as I seem to be getting a few too many emails from people without the .NET framework, wondering why it's not working for them - so a proper installer will solve that problem.

Anyway, gotta get back to work right now - will hopefully get a lot of my actual work done here and then I can get the faceoffIM changes done.

16. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

Hey dude,

Can I chuck this on my website that I am starting up hopefully in the next month? Just to let you know it's like a Tech Blog pretty much.

17. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member

buddhamus, yeah for sure! I'd love the exposure! :D

18. buddhamus

buddhamus Member

No problems buddy, will do!

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm not much of a IM chat person but don't mind the odd quick chat on FB. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

20. OP
    OP
    m0zzie

m0zzie Member