*Updated* 18-1-2016 80L Nano Worklog

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by C-BuZz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Hi,

Well I finally bit the bullet & decided to buy myself a small aquarium, after thinking about doing it for the last 4 years.

Yes it's extremely small (23L), but I dont have a lot of space on my desk. I've owned/maintained a small one previously for 5+ years (before the internet even existed), so I'm fairly confident.

Really only a very small clown will be added, possibly second & some live rock.

I chose the Jebo R331 for its size & built in wet/dry trickle filter. I will probably be modifying the light later on & adding a second actinic flouro. May also add a second filtration system somehow, but i'll see how we go with this first :)

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

Any suggestions good or bad I'm happy to listen :)

C-BuZz

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. smackus

smackus Member

this should be interesting.

I'd to see how you go, might do the same for my daughter.

3. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Do it! You wont regret it. I had a small setup many years ago, I can tell you it really is a great to just sit there & stare at for hours (very relaxing).

Also small tanks dont leave a big hole in your wallet :) This whole setup so far has cost me around $70.

C-BuZz

4. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

5. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Damn... now you've got me thinking...
    Should I start off small and with 1 or 2 fish or should I get the larger 130L tank I've been eyeing....

Hmmmmm

6. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Really up to you. What size area will it go into, your budget ect. The larger you go, they can really start getting very expensive.

C-BuZz

7. tgf

tgf Member

Just adding my subscription to this thread and also I reckon this might get me into setting up a small marine setup just like this one. Might be good as practice for when I might get a much bigger marine setup. Always good to learn more.

Shall watch this thread with keen interest.

8. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Marine tanks very very very quickly get exponentially more expensive!

Up to about 3 foot you can keep it within a respectable budget (im still talking like $1k or so), but when you start hitting 4 foot then you are into special lighting, shitloads of rock, more fish, more filtering etc etc.

9. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Remember to factor in cooling for summer if you intend to keep any kind of coral/invertebrates. I had a little 2ft nano with some corals and clowns in it. Was good fun except cooling it was a bit of a problem.

10. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Yeah, I've been planning on getting some second hand stuff for well under $300 (tank, stand, filters etc), probably another $500-$600 for any extra equipment required.
    It will stretch the budget a little bit as I've got some pretty big events coming up over the next few months, but I think it's something I can make work.

The small tank would be good budget wise, but I've never been content with small things! :p
    I've also heard that the smaller the tank, the harder it will be to maintain...

11. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

That's just not true. 20% water change every 2weeks, bit of a glass clean, 5min cleaning out the filter & that's pretty much it.

They almost maintain themselves once the filter is established :thumbup:

C-BuZz

12. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Really?

I was told by one of the staff at St George's that due to the smaller volume of water, fluctuations are more frequent and more care needs to be taken than something of with a larger capacity (150L+).

13. Doofus

Doofus Member

This is true, the smaller the ecosystem, the more fragile it is. Small changes can precipitate into large problems a lot quicker.

14. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Yep, in a smaller system it is more fragile. I had my 2ft nano and my brother had his 3foot cube with a sump tank. His was a lot easier to maintain then mine. I was doing water changes every other week in addition to running a protein skimmer and filter. Whereas he'd do a water change every few months.

15. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Yes it is true. But really, we arent going to see anything catastrophic happen overnight. If there is anything wrong with the tank/water you will have plenty of time to idenify & correct things if necessary.

I dont recall ever having any kind of problem with my previous nano tank, which I ran for 5yrs+ until I moved states. Maintenance was cake compared to the tank I had before that which was a 6ft marine.

C-BuZz

16. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Sounds good.

And looks like you know your shit from past experience.
    Would love for you to keep this thread updated. :)

Seriously considering a <50L tank now. :thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

No expert or anything like that, but in my own personal experience, the larger tank took a lot more effort than the smaller one.

I just realised I contradicted myself :lol:

C-BuZz

18. roobarb

roobarb Member

I have a jebo r338 used to house goldfish,i am very keen to try to get a small reef and 1 fish setup going but have no idea where to start,the lights are the standard 8w ones and are probably getting tired,filter has the ceramic balls with the mat thing on top.Any ideas what i will need to buy and do to be able to get it happening ?

19. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Cool looks interesting, what are you intending to keep.

That live rock also does not look very live, but maybe I have been spoilt with very fresh rock :D

20. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ya doesnt look like much now, but give it a year :)

This live rock, actually dead coral covered in bacteria I got from the aquarium shops filter (where there is no light), & is full of bacteria necessary to kickstart the trickle :thumbup:

Looking to keep, 1 possibly 2 small clownfish. I may add an anenome later on down the track, but i'll see how the filter goes. I would have to add better lighting for this however.

I can see myself cutting a hole toward the bottom of the tank & building a small home made pvc trickle filter sump underneath.

C-BuZz

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009