Upgrade my PC to play new games - stick with Win 98 or get XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Space Hamster, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Space Hamster

Space Hamster Member

I'm upgrading to an Athlon 2000 XP with an Epox 8K3A+ motherboard. I've been searching the forums for Win XP threads, and I've been horrified with some of the stories I've heard - particularly with regards to the Via 4-in-1 drivers and SB Live! software drivers. Is it worth upgrading to Windows XP? There was an awful lot of hype from sites like Tom's Hardware Guide about how "stable" XP is. Apparently, it isn't. So is it worth upgrading to XP, or should I stick with what I've got?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2002
  2. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

I'd upgrade.

Better memory management - i.e. it can handle 512Mb+ properly, more stable (my best 98SE uptime was 2.5 weeks; I voluntarily took this XP Pro box down after 6 weeks for an upgrade). Plus it looks nicer (IMHO), and has generally been a delight to use.

No SB Live! Value /. Via chipset problems here either.

3. mark|

mark| Member

what type of games? It makes a huge difference. Generally newer games will run fine on XP, but if you're into the golden oldies you'll have troubles (ie quake and getting mice to behave properly)

Having said that as of next year MS should be dropping support for win98 (or whenever the 5 year term is up) and you'll get no more updates. ie if they release a new version of directx, you won't be able to install it without some 3rd party hack if win95 is anything to go by.

btw on a games machine uptime means precisely dick. No matter how good the o/s is, playing games always finds a way to require you to reboot. I don't think a single minute of rebooting every few hours will hurt anyone not running a server.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

running quake II perfectly on xp pro.

why should you have to reboot every few hours?
    stuff that. i'd rather not have to reboot until i want to reboot. that's the good thing about winxp, 99% of the time, when you install some new software it doesn't require a reboot.

5. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

I've had uptimes of more than a month during which I've been actively using the computer quite a lot and not had any crashes.

Windows XP is the second most stable OS I've used (my debian linux server is more stable, it has never crashed).

6. influx

influx Member

The issues I had with my VIA + SBLive! combination were more prominent under 98, than XP.

Some points:

- New games will run as fast/faster than on Win98, depending on how far the video card drivers have matured.

- The only game that would work, point blank, was Worms Armageddon.

- Quake1 runs fine, GLQuake, QW, etc.

- Check your modem works under XP. Some don't.

other than that, Windows XP will give you a better gaming experience, because crashes to the desktop don't mean a reboot, you can actually Alt + Tab without fear of a hang, and if a game does crash, chances are the OS won't go down with it, unlike 98.

7. mark|

mark| Member

if you can get better performance out of <x> operating system, but the catch was you had to reboot every now and then, you would definately chose that.

I wouldn't be suprised if this so called stability we see as MS has released o/s's is the direct result of their programmers getting better at hiding the errors.

8. mordy

mordy Member

put really simply

- is incredibly stable ... it does not compare to win98
    - does not go down with crashing programs ... even if explorer crashes, u can restart it without restarting the computer
    - has very very good inbuilt driver support ... alll my devices plugged straight in and worked with no fuss. for example in win98 to get my usb compactflash reader to work involved quite alot of heartache, in winxp i put it in, and it came up as a drive... thats simplicity

theres a reason that hardware sites were hyping up about it .... its really worth hyping .. install it and you will see

9. oinka2

oinka2 Member

all agreed, and also its the newest and looks nice. lol. XP is the go

cheers

oinka

10. Bangers

Bangers Member

I love my XP.

Don't think I could go back to any other workstation OS.

11. zeuss

zeuss Member

once you get used to XP, 98 seems like a dinosaur. at my house we have machines running both, and i shudder when i have to work on the 98 machines.. :D

12. fo3

fo3 (Taking a Break)

both my pooters have win98se, doesnt crash unless i get real clik happy (and even then thats usually IE that causes it, sticking with mozilla - never had a crash in 2 months or so, even b4 mozilla, rarely crashed). Everything updated, no probs (still dont like IE6, which comes with xp, IE6 in win98se is slow, - much prefer IE5.5 for speed.
    I'm a uni student and my uni uses xp, so ive played with it a bit, cant see the benefits in switching. Mind you I have also had win2k, which i recommend, but I got rid of it due to my ram/vid card being pitiful, (the system had had onboard vid), but if you have decent hardware, win2k is good, more stable than win98 in the way it stops you getting click happy, and doing too many things, unlike win98se which will keep doing what you tell it till it crashes- which i admit doesnt take too much. Also didnt like the fact that my old games didnt work, youll have the same issue with xp- (which really is win2k dumbed down/ made pretty for the masses).
    Upgrade to win2k or xp, whatever takes your fancy, but beware, unless you have =<256mb and ge2 or ge3ti vid dont bother. but you prob do, judging buy your cpu/mobo. Do it if you can get them, youve got nothing to lose

Last edited: Jul 29, 2002
  13. OP
    OP
    Space Hamster

Space Hamster Member

Vaempyr, thanks for the advice. I have some questions though - what do you mean when you say that XP handles 512MB properly? I notice that Win 98 started exhibiting registry problems at startup, after I installed 512MB RAM on my PC. Is this what you're referring to?

And the reason for upgrading my PC is so I can play the newer games. Some examples are -
    • Freedom Force
    • Bridge Commander
    • Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
    • Baldur's Gate 2
    • Starcraft (until I buy Warcraft 3 ;-) )

I still regard upgrading to Windows XP as a big risk, since I use software like ZoneAlarm as a firewall. But if I get the opportunity (and the software costs aren't too exorbitant), I'll certainly consider upgrading to XP. I just wonder whether the benefits are worth all the risks...

14. Shado

Shado Member

Speak for yourself.
    It's about 98% of the speed and 10000000X the uptime. I know rebooting in the middle of a game beacuse it locked up is far far more annoying than getting .02 FPS less.

Hiding errors... Well they didn't do a good job with that in 98, it's the most unstable OS that I have ever used, including but not limited to Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, ME, NT 3.5, 4.0, 2000, XP. Hell it's less stable than most BETA versions of 95 were!

I'm using a via chipset with a SBLive and have no problems, just don't bother installing the 4in1's XP doesn't need them desperately like 98 did.

INSTALL XP YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

15. xian

xian Member

I run both 98se and XP on my system. Both run pretty much like a dream.

I keep 98se to play some games a little faster - although I'm finding I need to go back there less and less these days.

You will most likely find that almost all the stuff that works fine in 98 will work more or less exactly the same in XP. Almost.

The only game I've had trouble with recently in XP is Baldur's Gate 2, I don't know if its just my system, but it suffered from just a general lack of instability. Notably, though, if it did crash, it only crashed back to the desktop :p It runs just fine under 98se though.

Used to have troubles with Half-life, Q3A and their mods, however lately XP seems to have caught up, and both work fine under both.

Thought you might like to know about BG2.

16. mark|

mark| Member

hook, line and sinker i'd say

17. OP
    OP
    Space Hamster

Space Hamster Member

Will upgrade to XP

Well, after much thought I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Windows XP. I'm rather excited by upgrading to a new OS, but I can't help but feel that there's a certain amount of risk involved here too. I've got a broadband connection, and I like using ZoneAlarm as my software firewall. I just hope that I can use most of my applications after all this is over.

18. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Re: Will upgrade to XP

It's a good choice, and remember: if things don't go 100% as planned, hop into the Software Stuff Forum, and ask for advice :)

19. OP
    OP
    Space Hamster

Space Hamster Member

Re: Re: Will upgrade to XP

Vaempyr,
    Just wanted to let you and everyone else know that I FINALLY got my PC upgraded!!!! I've also upgraded to Win XP, and you and everybody else were absolutely right. I think Windows XP is Microsoft's best OS, and is light years beyond Win 98 in terms of stability and speed. I could never go back to Win 98, not after seeing what Win XP is capable of. I've already installed three games - Freedom Force, Bridge Commander, Elite Force and they all run perfectly.

And now, onwards...to Warcraft 3!!!!

20. fo3

fo3 (Taking a Break)

thats the only thing i hate about 98, having to reboot during hardware software configuration. I loved win2k for not having to do that, unfortunately my hardware wasnt good enuff to play games under win2k, and it would be similar with xp. imho if your hardware is good enuff to support larger os, do it, you'll love the features, and wont notice the speed decrease (if any, but it has been said win98 is faster for benchmarks) My win98se systems are stable, but i dont have much yumcha, and only run them 8 - 12 hrs a day, i dont trust running comp o/n, they're still a fire hazard, though i have left them running for longer, but shut them down the next day (so 18hrs max).
    With the system you are getting, i'd go the upgrade, just choose components carefully, stick to common (ie, programmed for) configs and you shouldnt have driver problems. I use xp at my uni at lot, the programs crash just as often (as mentioned by the xp fans) - well in fact more often than my win98se system, i get 1 crash p/m maybe, and thats cos of too many windows open, clicking too many things, etc - in fact the most unstable part of my pooters is IE6, which i installed, and is part of xp (at least i can uninstall it !)but, like kde in linux, it just closes down the offending program. microsoft havent got any better in their programming, they just learnt how to manage their crashes linux style. But like i said, i shut my pooters down often, xp users dont have too

Last edited: Aug 7, 2002