Upgrade OS and now no sound

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Jashdown, Apr 26, 2012.

1. lithos

lithos Member

Er, double clicked on the volume icon and made sure nothing's muted? Kinda silly, I know, but we're scraping the barrel here...

2. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

Nah nothing muted :(

I ran the troubleshoot thing and it's saying no speakers are connected. Cannot figure out for the life of me, why it's saying that. Definitely haven't damaged the speaker jacks because I haven't touched them.

3. lithos

lithos Member

Can you, if possible, post a screen cap of the Playback Tab in the "Manage Audio Devices" box, and of the Device Manage with with "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" tree opened?

4. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

Yeah, here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lithos

lithos Member

Ok, right click on "ATI HDMI Output" and "ATI High Definition Audio Device" in the Playback Tab and Device Manager respectively, and disable 'em.

Can you click at all on the "Realtek High Definition Audio" icon at all? If you can, right-click and try setting as primary device after you disable the ATI stuff. Right now, your HDMI on your GPU is selected as your primary sound device...

6. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

7. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

I disabled both the ATI ones just then, but still can't set Realtek High Definition Audio as the primary device, doesn't list an option for it.

8. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

9. crag_v

crag_v Member

Unplug and plug in the speakers again to launch the auto-detect utility maybe? You've probably already done that but definitely worth a shot if not!

10. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

Already done. Haha I've tried nearly everything under the sun. Stupid Windows 7.

11. crag_v

crag_v Member

You could always try Windows Update for drivers (which in general isn't ideal, but maybe worth a shot). Right-click on the audio device and select 'Update Driver' and let it check Windows Update...

Other thing to do would be to right click on your audio hardware, select Uninstall, then disable your antivirus and reinstall the driver from your downloaded ASUS installer. Could be related to that maybe.

--
    Before doing the above, have you tried plugging the speakers into another port on the soundcard? Again, it should then launch the auto-detect program and ask you what you've just plugged in. If that works, unplug them and plug them back into the speaker port again - possibly after a reboot.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  12. luke o

luke o Member

From your picture the High Definition Digital audio is enabled and set as the default, this means windows is outputting sound via the SPDIF or Optical Output on your motherboard (probably the square plug you never use). No sound will come out of the analog plugs until that's fixed.

Click to view full size!

You want the normal speakers to be enabled as per my pic.

13. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

Did all of them and still nothing :S This is so frustrating.

I read somewhere that you have to change a setting in Realtek Audio Manager, but I don't have that :S

14. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

I've tried, but it's not registering my speaker at all. It's just saying they aren't plugged in.

15. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

So finally found the audio manager, hiding away in the files. I have sound, but it's not working properly still. The front right and left speakers work, but the centre one doesn't and the sub doesn't work when configuring them.

I selected the "disable front audio jacks" option, but then all of a sudden the front ports light up on the screen (the speakers are connected to the rear jacks), and when I disconnect the cables, it still doesn't recognise it. But whatever, it's working enough for now, thanks for the help everyone!

16. lithos

lithos Member

Try highlighting the Realtek device in the Playback tab and hitting configure, then setting it to however many speakers you have hooked up.

*sigh* This is why "streamlining" (ie, "dumbing down") shit can be bad. When it fucks up, you'll have no fucking idea why. Thanks, UAA!

17. OP
    OP
    Jashdown

Jashdown Member

Gave it a go but no luck. I'll put up with the two speakers until I upgrade CPU, haha. Don't use them for much except music every now and then. Just wanted them to work so I could hook my headset up to it for games.

18. lithos

lithos Member

Oh, and by the way:

Welcome to Win 7 and its new audio architecture...;)

19. luke o

luke o Member