1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade pathway(s)?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by mf-fu, Dec 7, 2018.

1. mf-fu

mf-fu Member

Hello. I have been out of the computer and technology scene since around 2012 due to circumstances in my real life. I just recently walked into a PC shop and was both amazed and bewildered by the items now sold today.

My current (old) system setup is as follows:

-Intel Ivy Bridge Intel i7 3700
    -16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM (Dual Channel)
    -MSI Radeon r9 380 4GB
    -Gigabye GA-B75M-D3H
    -Intel 120GB 520 SSD

I understand that my equipment is old. So any kind of component upgrade would only be a "stopgap measure". Should I just upgrade what I can? Or just discard the entire system and start constructing anew?

Which would offer greater "bang for buck" to use the colloquialism? I do not wish to create system bottlenecks.
    I just wish to play all the latest PC games at maximum graphical settings at a low resolution of 1024x768.

Thanking you for your time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. power

power Member

do you have an SSD?

If not it will change your PC dramatically.

A GPU would be biggest bang for buck on the listed parts.

Screens are also pretty cheap for what you get, the res you listed sounds awful

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Do you have a budget in mind? Then we could advise the best upgrade path with what you can afford.

4. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

If that is all you want to do, then you do not need to upgrade anything. Add a SSD if you don't already have one as mentioned.

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

Invest in a new monitor, that resolution is tiny.

The only things I would suggest for you are:

1920 x 1080 monitor
    256gig ssd or larger (AAA games are big these days 50 - 80gig)
    And a newer GPU maybe something like an 1060 or equivalent

6. killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Another cheap upgrade would be to get a second hand i7 3770K and overclock it. Should give you a decent boost over your existing CPU.
    This would rank after the SSD and GPU upgrades suggested above.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Also a question on money and what level pc you want to go to. Pedsonally id say if you have the money then a new system would be the way to go.

8. OP
    OP
    mf-fu

mf-fu Member

9. OP
    OP
    mf-fu

mf-fu Member

Already have a SSD, forgot to mention it until now. As for the monitor, also got a 1080 capable monitor. So what GPU would be recommend to me?

I am going for bang for buck / best price to performance ratio, so lets say mid price range parts.

According to the Internet PC review and benchmark sites, there is less then 10% difference between the 3770 and the 6700. The performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4 RAM is negligible, again less then 10%.

I guess the major thing holding me back is the GPU. According to the tier chart, my card is still considered high end. I heard that you would need to buy a card which is at minimum 3 tiers higher in order for you, the end user to notice a difference in performance.

So what is good? Should I stick with ATi or nVidia?

10. miicah

miicah Member

Mate, nothing should be holding you back if you are running a resolution from 2002

11. breno

breno Member

If you came to me IRL and said this, I wouldn't be able to move onto any advice until I worked out why.

ae00711 likes this.
  12. FOTW

FOTW Member

Your system isn't a bad system you should still be able to play most games at decent quality settings at 1080p with decent frame rates.

In order of importance:

GPU - RX 580 4GB You can pick up second hand ones cheap now, even new their about $240 (for 1080p gaming 4GB is fine if you want to go higher maybe look at 8GB version)

SSD/HDD - larger SSD as primary drive or add a second HDD for game storage new games take up a shit load of space now.

CPU - i7-3770k so you can overclock also upgrade the cooling system. Wont give you a huge boost in performance however we are OCAU.

In all honesty your PC is fine for 1080p gaming. Ok so you might not be able to have everything set to max but you should get medium to high quality settings.

adamsleath likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    mf-fu

mf-fu Member

I only play play PC games with everything set on maximum quality, as the game was designed to be played.

14. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They are not designed to be played at 1024x768.

ae00711 likes this.
  15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

imo 1080p rx580. double check which games you will play. maybe 1060 6gb.
    theres even the rx590...dont know the pricing onit (they are probably overpriced)

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-R9-380/3923vs3482

how much performance boost are you chasing?

next step up would be 1070/ti but youre going out of bang for buck range.
    ---
    @ max grfx setting you'll probably benefit fps-wise (slightly) in some games by upgrading your whole platform. why not....if u have the dollars.

new amd platform next year aswell.

8700k for now. or whatever you reckon :D or can afford. i presume its a long term buy. if u change yourmind later u can sell it for a small loss.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018