1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade recommendations please

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by vladtepes, Mar 7, 2022.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Where would be the best place to throw a relatively small amount of money at this system to kick it up a notch. It belongs to a mate in the UK and he's been very helpful to our motorbike forum and we'd like to help out a bit if we can - but don't have much spare $)

System specs
    AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Cores 4
    Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G24C16U4B 2400 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16, Black
    Zotac GeForce GT 710 1 GB DDR3 PCI x1 Passive PCI Graphics Card x2
    Zotac GeForce GT 710 2 GB DDR3 PCIe x1 Passive PCI Graphics Card x1
    AMD B450 mATX gaming motherboard with Aura Sync RGB LED lighting, DDR4 4400MHz support, 32Gbps M.2, HDMI 2.0b, Type C and native USB 3.1 Gen 2
    465GB Western Digital HDD (TV and Movie storage)
    931GB SAMSUNG HDD (backup and various other files)
    149GB INTEL SSD (Music Files) <-- don't know if this is SATA or M2
    149GB MAXTOR HDD (misc files)
    298GB SAMSUNG HDD (next cloud)
    447GB Crucial SSD (Main C drive) <-- don't know if this is SATA or M2
    1x Benq 26" monitor
    2x AOC 18" monitors
    1000w PSU Forget the make.
    Windows 10 pro
    I'm sure there a few relatively inexpensive upgrades which could kick this into the next gear.
    Got any suggestions?

For example could one relatively inexpensive GPU replace the 3 he already has (he runs 3 monitors)

Or perhaps just a large capacity SATA SSD to replace his existing small capacity music files ssd and his hdd's.

Suggestions welcome :)

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

My list would be:
    1) Replace GPUs
    2) Upgrade CPU
    3) A big SSD to consolidate all his files
    4) Check if PSU is a reputable brand and replace it if it's not.

vladtepes likes this.
  3. rg144

rg144 Member

most low-end gpus from the last 5 years have a minimum 3 outputs- you'd just have to check outputs you need based on monitor config (i.e DP, HDMI or DVI).

as for what to upgrade-
    macktheknife's order priority is a pretty accurate upgrade path; but the real question is what will he specifically be doing on the PC?

i.e if he's not gaming and just outputting 3x monitors for productivity, any low-end GPU would suit (or keep the current 710's) and focus more on CPU.

vladtepes likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Yeah as far as I know he doesn't do much in the way of gaming, he does a fair bit of online stuff and wants/needs 3 1080p monitors.

I figure 1 x better GPU that can run 3 monitors would be more efficient than 3 separate GPUs one for each which in turn would stress PSU less.

Then given the size (and therefore probable age) of his screens there is the possibility, even likelihood, they may not be display port compatible.

The GTX970, which I consider a decent card with typical for the time outputs, has 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 3x DisplayPort.
    This may be the reason he is running the cards he is?

5. rg144

rg144 Member

who knows why he's running 3x 710's for 3 monitors, makes no sense. could be old skool thinking (1 card for each display) ;)
    if not gaming GT710 can run 2 screens comfortably, I'd even give it a crack running 3 monitors off one card (some have 3 outputs- VGA+DVI+HDMI) if he's just using Windows.

GTX970 would be overkill if not gaming. A GTX 750 will do, it too has multiple outputs (but again check video card ports and monitor outputs)
    Better to put money towards the best CPU he can afford and if any $$$ left over consolidate hardrives.

6. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Yep
    would
    • AMD B450 mATX gaming motherboard with Aura Sync RGB LED lighting, DDR4 4400MHz support, 32Gbps M.2, HDMI 2.0b, Type C and native USB 3.1 Gen 2
    support an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz?

EDIT: That mobo doesn't support the 5600X (needs a 550 mobo).
    It supports a 3x00 series CPU which still offers plenty of overkill for his use case.

At OCUK they are all out of stock - presumably because the 5x00 series has replaced the 3x00 series. A 2nd hand one would seem to be the best option then. ANyone recommend with of the 3x00s might be best value? (I know its hard from a distance) or at least which one he should aim for?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  7. rg144

rg144 Member

based on "Aura Sync" description im guessing its an Asus board..? whats the actual model?
    might need a bios update but most b450 boards should be fine/now have bios updates that support ryzen 5000.

8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Oh OK. I'll check on that thanks.

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

You need to find out what he actually does with it.

If you want to be cheap, you always have to identify the bottleneck and replace it.

With 3 screens, my guess is they're running out of ram - which is always more noticeable than running out of CPU.

A pair of 16gb 3200 sticks might be all they need.

10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

When you say running out of RAM with 3 monitors - I guess you are assuming multiple monitors would indicate productivity use. In which case RAM might help. After all RAM requirements aren't directly linked to monitors used.

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Pretty much. You're using 3 screens for something.

12. rg144

rg144 Member

I wouldnt be quick to assume RAM usage is 100%. 16GB can be enough for just simple spreadsheets/word docs & browsers even if its on 3 screens.

again as we've said multiple times:
    1. what is the person actually doing on the pc - what programs are they using daily, what is their workflow.
    2. what is the load on the PC (task manager). is cpu clocking 100% usage or ram?

there's nothing left to say, and more importantly no money to spend until you can answer these 2 things.

Elmf likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks yes I appreciate that - will get answers from him in due course.

Thanks everyone for the input to date :)

14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

OK so far I've ascertained

Firstly why I want to help him for the time he's put in for our forum.
    He thinks he got the wrong CPU he upgraded the mobo, as it hasn't got onboard graphics.
    I don't agree for reasons which will become clear.

So updating the two 18" to a second similar monito to his BenQ would be worthwhile I think.

15. rg144

rg144 Member

admire your willingness to help esp those on a pension.unfortunately that info u gave us tells us nothing.

if that person is technologically challenged, might be easier for u to remote/teamviewer with him, have a look at their task manager whilst he is using the pc under a "normal" workflow/set of events/based on what they want to upgrade for, and take note of usage numbers (cpu/ram/hdd should be enough).

again if hes not playing games/doing 3d work/watching stupidly high res videos (which he shouldnt anyway on those monitors), video cards are meh/fine. you'll get better bang for buck elsewhere

Elmf likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ta yep I've asked for some more detailed info.
    Ideally if I could find a cheap 26" monitor with DVi connector and swap in an APU? (they don't call 'em that now I don't think - integrated graphics CPU anyway - they used to have a G suffix IIRC) OR even better a half-decent single GPU that'd be worthwhile.
    And/or a larger capacity SATA SSD or HDD to swap out for his multiple small drives.

I suspect RAM isn't an issue and I also suspect CPU isn't bottlenecking.

I will see what he comes back with though.

Elmf likes this.
  17. rireland

rireland Member

what is the issue/goal, not much use recommending a cpu upgrade if they just want more space for files.

vladtepes likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Yeah I've got some more info and he's not maxing out either CPU or RAM so no need to do anything there.

Ideally replacing his two 18" monitors with one larger 24+ inch monitor would be a good move for him. (Also removes requirement for one of those GPUs he has)
    All his stuff is 1080p and another monitor the same as his 24" BenQ or similar 27" monitors from other brands can be had for GBP100-ish (2nd hand of course). Which is a lot of money for him but I'm scouting around to see what might be available.
    Would save electricity too = good for pensioner.

Similarly, replacing his large number of small spinning rust drives with one new/newer more efficient drive of 3TB or so would simplify things, give him extra storage space and reduce power usage again. Good for pensioner.

I think those are the places where money would be best applied, for his situation. :)

19. rg144

rg144 Member

last thing- if he has a lot of junk applications on the pc? If so a Win10 format would work wonders for responsiveness.
    Asking given he may with all those hard drives (albeit im guessing they're filled with pics/movies/docs..)

vladtepes likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022