Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Forstie, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Forstie

Forstie Member

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my old pc or just start from scratch.
    It is starting to show its age, wondering if it will be noticeable if I put some money into it.

Current Specs:
    I5 4460
    MSI H97 Gaming 3
    8gig 1600
    Radeon RX550 2GB
    2TB HDD

I have been slowing updating it over the years but I dont know if it has reached the end of its life.

I was thinking about adding a M.2 drive, increasing the RAM to 16gig (startup is quite slow - which bugs me) and updating the GPU

but is it worth the money, or would i be better off updating the cpu to an I7 instead?

This is a little over my pay grade so i thought I would throw it out there what you guys would do with this setup?

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

It's a 5 year old Gen 4 CPU. The RAM itself is DDR3. Time for a new build.

To what, though, will depend on what you are wanting to do with it.

3. OP
    OP
    Forstie

Forstie Member

Mostly gaming - not a AAA game type of person though, I play diablo, civ, overwatch currently. wanted to get RDR2 but specs dont meet recommended.
    There aren't any games on the horizon i'm excited about but I dont want to miss out on something that does catch my eye, even if i have to play it on medium settings

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Fair enough. I lived off a i7 6700 build for the last 3 years, with 16GB (2x8GB) and a GTX1060 6GB (OC edition), so if you aim for that as a minimum, you should be good.

5. luke o

luke o Member

You'd be well served with a Ryzen 3600X and a mid range graphics card of your choice, plus 16GB of reasonably spec'd DDR4. A SSD would also make your life a whole lot quicker!

adamsleath likes this.
  6. kogi

kogi Member

I have similar specs to yours, recently got the rx570 to play outer worlds. I think if you get anything faster than a rx580 you might be cpu bound ( not sure, need an expert opinion )
    Being playing outer worlds on high 1080 and control on medium 1080

i5-4460
    rx 570
    16gb ram
    ssd

So I think it depends on your budget, Spending $500 to kick it along or more for a new machine

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

b450
    rams: even a high speed kit is pretty cheap now.
    grfx. dats a tough choice these days. 1080p its 1660S/Ti or a 570/580, or maybe an rx 5600 if/when it arrives. probly 570/580 if budget is tight.

and of course ssd/nvme is a no brainer for value now. 1TB nvme is affordable. a bog standard ssd is just as good for a gaming/basic pc rig.

sturff intel. i'd take the hyperthreaded cpu (6C/12T) for the price at the moment (300-315$)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  8. straiton

straiton Member

IMO
    grfx upgrade
    small ssd for OS

optional add 8GB ram

see how it goes
    you can still take those parts(apart from ram) to a new build

9. OP
    OP
    Forstie

Forstie Member

Im kinda on this train of thought at the moment. Went and purchased a M.2 NVME drive, see how that treats me while I look for some ram to bump it.
    Still on the fence about upgrading mb and cpu

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

If you are to upgrade the MB and CPU, you're basically going to have to aim for a new build anyway, because you'll also require upgrading your RAM. CPUs and MBs are somewhat generation interchangeable to a very limited extent (depends on the MB model and whether BIOS updates are available), but if you go for a DDR4 MB, your DDR3 will not be compatible.

The only existing hardware you'll get away with is GFX and storage, but GFX will become a bottleneck.

11. Comrade VPZ

Comrade VPZ Member

I reckon those options would be great, you could always use the M.2 drive and GPU later down the line.

I guess it all depends on what you use the computer for. For example, I just use mine for basic stuff like web browsing and the odd game of League of Legends, so I haven't really felt the need to go get a whole new platform. Plus these new motherboards and GPUs cost an arm and a leg compared to what they used to cost. Leave the hardcore stuff to the gamer kids and make use of what you have!

12. Skramit

Skramit Member

An ssd Will single handedly transform your windows experience. Grab a 500gb sata ssd for cheap and you won’t know yourself after you install windows and your common games on it.

13. OP
    OP
    Forstie

Forstie Member

thanks for the help guys, I have decided to update with a ssd and ram and gpu for now, then upgrade the main board later in the new year.