Upgrading 500gb 2.5" drives for 1tb 2.5" drives

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by massiveoni, Aug 17, 2009.

1. massiveoni

massiveoni Member

heya,

i am looking at upgrading my 2 old wd 500gb 2.5" sata drives for a 2 new wd 1tb 2.5" sata but the problem i have is that they at 12.5mm and i think the 500's at 9mm, does anyone know if they will fit in my acer aspire 7720g laptop?

i am guessing the question i am asking is, has anyone bought one of these yet, and if they have, have they been able to fit it in where there old hard drive use to be.

thanks

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i know in ps3's they dont fit but cant vouch for laptops. specially yours in particular. i say open it up and see how much clearance the drive has.

3. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

heya,

yeh i was going to do that when i got home, the reason i asked is cause im at work, and i was going to order them now, and get them overnight shipped to my office.

4. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

dont be so in a rush or you could end up with a drive that you cant use in the laptop.

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I doubt that they'll work. 12.5mm drives are pretty rare, so Acer aren't likely to have designed the laptop for them.

6. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

yeh i have checked, and there is no way that they will fit in there,

i guess i will have to wait til someone releases a normal sized 2.5" 1tb drive

7. OZeight

OZeight Member

Bit of a low blow releasing 12.5mm 2.5" drives at all if you ask me. The benefits they offer are lost on most people and those left who can use them will likely opt for a much cheaper 3.5" drive. I can't see these chunky beasts being a big seller at all...

1TB in 9mm will be fantastic. Maybe the only good news is these 12.5 fatties will be comparatively cheap once 9mm is available. Assuming 12.5mm fits the average external case this could be nice.

8. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

most of the external cases i have seen and used, which is quite a few, doesnt give much clearance between the body of the case, and the drive itself, normally less than 2mm total, so i know it wont be usable in most of the external cases on the market to date.

9. OZeight

OZeight Member

Yeah I know my case wouldn't house one, but it's a generic cheapy, I wasn't sure if the better cases have space. It makes sense though that they wouldn't because a tight case would probably act like a heatsink, if there was a few mm of space it'd just create a hot pocket of air.

Well I don't think those fat 2.5" hdds will be very popular, negatives outweigh the positives for most people. Green 3.5" HDD's and 2.5/1.8" SSD's close up their market even tighter. Hopefully its a big failure and a slap in their face for releasing such crud :)