Upgrading an electric piano's speakers/amp?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by shiny1, Mar 15, 2014.

1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I have a Casio Privia PX730. It's a good unit, and I like it a lot.
    [​IMG]

Today I felt like opening part of it up and have a look at the insides. I saw these speakers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look like they're 4" - 4.5" in diameter. They're the crappy speakers with the paper cones. According to the manual, they're 7-8W rated speakers. I'm thinking - will it make any difference if I use a set of car speakers with a heavier magnet and better material like kevlar?

I'm not too sure about the amplifier that drives the speakers. How would I go about changing that? Will leaving it as is, and underpowering a spare set of 'good' speakers do anything?

2. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

If you can find speakers that fit, and are the same impedance (4ohm, 8 ohm, etc) then go for it. It'll certainly not hurt.

As for the amplifier, can you take some pictures of the circuit boards? If the amplifier is on its own board, an upgrade would be easy, if not, some wizardry will be required, but it's not impossible.

3. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

Thanks for your reply, Terra. I'll open it up again and have a look.
    Printed on the speakers are:

CASIO
    C12J02
    6ohm 7W
    10J2

I guess I'll try to find something similar. What happens if the new speakers are rated at, say, 15W?

Edit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green board is for USB. Yellow board is where the power plugs into. I presume the yellow is the amplifier because of the heatsink.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  4. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

The wattage won't be an issue but the impedance will be. 6ohm? That's a pretty odd impedance for instrument speaker usually they're 4, 8 & 16. However from the manual it looks like it's 2x 6ohm speakers wired in parallel as the amp is rated at 3 ohm. see http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/productarchive/privia/px730/specifications/ May have a hard time finding suitable replacements. Might I suggest doing what page 7 of the user manual suggests? http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/PX730_EN.pdf and using the headphone jack into a keyboard amp with a Y cable? You'll probably get better results through this method IMHO. There is no internal modifications as well so should you ever decide to sell it, you have a stock product. Also be very careful with mismatched impedances some amps can take it, some can't and there is a risk of blowing the amp. But take this with a grain of salt as I'm more familiar with guitar, bass amps and pa systems.

For Piano purposes it'd probably better to have higher wattage ratings for speakers than the amp eg (10 amp >20w speakers) as if you crank the volume you would not want speaker distortion (unlike in a guitar amp)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into doing that instead of doing an internal upgrade.