upgrading from i5-750

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by yaphax, Dec 6, 2016.

1. yaphax

yaphax Member

Hi guys,

I'm rocking an i5-750 @ 3.5ghz. Play new games but they usually aren't that demanding, like overwatch, or dirty bomb.

I do run a 144hz monitor, have a r9 280x at the moment. I like to reduce quality settings so I get around 144fps average. Sometimes though, e.g. in dirty bomb, I get average of about 100fps which is annoying as it'd be nice if it went higher.

Will a new CPU solve this? It's been 7 years, surely they're a lot faster for min/average fps in games these days? On low quality settings, would I be seeing like double average frames per second?

2. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Should be able to get a used 4 or 5 series intel chip from the forums pretty cheap, I'd suggest an updated gpu too, maybe a 470 if you have some cash lying around.

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Given you're aiming for high FPS and are happy to drop the details (i'm guessing 1080p also), then you're more likely to be CPU bottle-necked than anything else.

An upgrade for you to a Skylake will yield substantial improvements. Skylake has large IPC improvements over Nehalem, plus you'll have higher core clocks too.

I think it would be a worthwhile purchase for you to get a Skylake processor. I would wait till Kaby Lake comes out in a couple of weeks and get a Skylake on runout for cheap :thumbup:

5. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

I'd say minimise cost of upgrading by going with a straight swap out of just your board and CPU and be done with it; GPU and RAM (depending on speed and quantity) are still viable.

z97 board + Devils Canyon, or z170 DDR3 board with Skylake, and you'd be laughing.

6. Draebor

Draebor Member

did a similar upgrade a little while back, i5-750 to a skylake i5 6600k. made a fair bit of difference, seems much faster from what i can see :)

7. miicah

miicah Member

I went from the same CPU to an i5-4xxxx and it was very noticeable.

8. Smegger

Smegger Member

Ditto! Running stock atm, when I need more speed i'll clock it up, should be at stock for quite a while though.

9. Budginator

Budginator Member

I've been toying with upgrading as well, i5-750 @ 3.5Ghz as well here.

I'm running a GTX 1070 now which made everything seem new again (compared to the Radeon 7870 I had before).

I'm really only playing Battlefield 1 and some Mafia III ... seems to handle it just fine.

I'd be happy if I was able to reduce power consumption as well as increasing performance with my next upgrade. Not sure whether to wait until closer to June 30 or bite the bullet now, as usual the tax-man helps with all my PC purchases :)

10. rickoles

rickoles Member

AMD are releasing new CPUs this time next month so it would be best to wait awhile because there will be a price shake up.

11. Budginator

Budginator Member

I'm now even more undecided about my upgrade after reading through the Ryzen articles today!!

12. The OC

The OC Member

Yes a new CPU would help a lot but only in situations where you aren't GPU bound.

A 280x will struggle to hit 144fps on most of the latest games so the difference will be more obvious with a faster GPU.

What you upgrade to depends on your budget, if you are after bang for buck a newer gen i5 will do the trick nicely. I7s are slightly better but not neccesaary in a gaming build.

13. The OC

The OC Member

From a purely gaming perspective Intel is still king. AMD Ryzen is very strong on highly threaded software but gaming isnt its strong suit. Its much better than it was in the past but if you are looking to get the maximum fps. from your GTX 1070 a highly overclocked i5 or i7 is still your best bet.

14. Budginator

Budginator Member

I'm thinking about a 7700k now with a new board and RAM (obviously).

15. OP
    OP
    yaphax

yaphax Member

Yep but I would be happy to reduce details if need be to hit the 144fps mark.
    I think I'll hang on to see what the 6 core ryzens are like and if they sort out optimisation for games...

16. The OC

The OC Member

If you are happy to run low to medium details then yeah, you will be much more likely to hit 144fps of course. Still... complex multiplayer games (BF1 for example) won't hit 144fps on an i5 750 regardless of detail devels

As for Ryzen, I think in terms of IPC its actually slower than Intel slightly, and overclocks far lower (avg 4GHz vs 5GHz on Kabylake) As games become more optimised for multithreading the gap may shrink in time, but I don't expect a huge shift in the status quo tbh.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. OP
    OP
    yaphax

yaphax Member

Exactly - a lot of new shooters (and most RTS actually) won't hit 144hz no matter what details im playing at.

At the moment it looks like the 7700k is king in gaming still unfortunately. I would love to go with AMD...

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

So even though it's much much much better than your current processor, it's a no from you because the ipc is slightly better on the intel chip, even though you'd love to go AMD... doesn't add up.

19. OP
    OP
    yaphax

yaphax Member

I'll probably just wait to see what the 6 core/4 core ryzens are like. No games that I play regularly bring the pc to its knees so big deal.