Upgrading from Z77/2700k worth it yet?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Photobounce, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Photobounce

Photobounce Member

Fairly sure I asked this question a year ago somewhere but can't remember the discussion.

In late 2011 I built a gaming system consisting of Z77 Sabretooth, 32gb ripjaws, 2700k OC'd 5ghz and SLI GTX 680s.

Currently I have the same specs only I sold the 680s last year and got a 980ti.

The 2700k @ 5ghz has been rock solid 24/7 ever since I built this PC.

A few weeks ago I got myself a new thermaltake midtower case, the thermaltake RGB water cooling and a crap load of RGB fans and it sort of got me looking at PC parts again.

Would I really notice much going to 6700k? I game @ 4k 60hz btw.

Also how far away are new intel CPUs if there are any? So out of the loop...

Thanks.

2. tunksy

tunksy Member

Wouldnt be worth it yet.

3. Dienk

Dienk Member

Not it all.

In high resolution as 4k the difference between your CPU and a newer like 6700k is 0~2%.

Does not worth change it now.

4. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

+1 What was a feature for you're Z77 chipset mobo at the time is what's standard for everything right now (PCIE3, USB3, SATA 6Gbps, etc), so that's fine.

As for your CPU; anything less than a K part sandy I'd suggest upgrading to a K part Ivy and be done with it. AS it is it's perfectly fine. :thumbup:

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No gains to be had really. A few percent at best, for a large investment.
    The GPU is the best place to spend money these days (after an SSD), but a 980Ti is sufficient too.

Next consumer chip is Kaby Lake, later this year, but again just an incremental improvement. Better, more efficient power handling and a slightly higher base clock.. good stuff but not good enough to justify spending the dosh when your rig is still fairly competitive with the latest tech.

The only reason you may consider changing platforms for is stuff like M.2, USB 3.1, and other features that you might fancy. You haven't mentioned an SSD, if you don't have one then thats the only big difference you can make. Really needs to be on the top of your list.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  6. dasa2

dasa2 Member

if you ever want to know at what point your cpu will start holding you back in a game drop the res as it makes very little difference to cpu load

for example in arma 3 a cpu bottlenecked game
    1280x720 105fps
    1920x1080 98fps
    2560x1440 96fps

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

No you are good. Maybe have a look at Zen when it comes out if you need multithreaded performance for some reason.

8. trevor68

trevor68 Member

My Z77 with 3570K is rocking BF1 just fine with an old pair of 290's.

I might look at a Kaby Lake update next year, but only cos I'm bored and this build will be 5 years old, not because I need it.

9. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

2700k @ 4.8 here, still rocking along just fine with a 980Ti.

10. OP
    OP
    Photobounce

Photobounce Member

Thanks for the all the replies! Forgot to mention I haven't had a HDD for a few years now too, went all SSDs and the the OS is on two intel SSDs running raid 0. The SSDs are oldish maybe I'll see whats around next year.

I'm still amazed it's lasted this long at 5ghz on stock volts lol.