[WIN7] Upgrading to Win10 - a basic guide

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by metamorphosis, Jul 5, 2019.

1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Two methods:

Before doing either of these you should backup your entire system drive to another drive, in case the process fails. Macrium reflect is good for this, and the free version will work so long as you're able to put your system drive in another computer. Alternatively you can use Partedmagic. (note: older versions of partedmagic may not backup/restore properly on some GPT partitions)

1. Clean install. Install from flash drive on boot (you can create a Win10 flash drive with Microsoft's Windows installer Tool). Use your Windows 7 key, and it will register on the Win10 servers as upgraded. Done. This method does not work in all scenarios ie. some vendor-specific Win7 licenses like HP occasionally fail this way.
    Obviously back up all your data before doing this method, as it will wipe your current installation.

2. Upgrade install. Use the older version of the Win10 upgrade assistant (a copy is here) from within windows. Later versions of the upgrade assistant will not upgrade from Win7 unless you've previously upgraded or have bought a Windows 10 license.
    This installer will download and upgrade to Win10 1709. You will then need to upgrade to the most recent version afterwards, using Microsoft's Windows installer Tool. This method has the advantage of working on all Win7 licenses, however I have seen at least one upgrade fail this way.
    You can speed up the process for multiple machines (if you already happen to have the 1709 .esd file already), by starting the upgrade, cancelling it, then replacing the .esd file in the upgrade folder (under C:\Windows10Upgrade) with your pre-downloaded platform-appropriate Win10 1709 .esd file (renamed to the same name as the one currently in the windows10upgrade folder). Then start the process again (the .esd will be verified). Note that it does not work to put in a non-1709 .esd file.

In both cases I recommend using Snappy Driver Installer post-installation to install any device drivers which Win10 doesn't initially find. Do not use it to update drivers to the most recent versions, as I have seen this cause issues sometimes.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    chilli likes this.
  2. power

power Member

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Don't be daft, no one wants to upgrade to windows 10! Windows 7 is still perfectly good after a decade!

Idafe007 likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well until Jan 14 2020 anyways :p

6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well Windows 7 was released to manufacturing on July 22 2009. So a couple of weeks, and THEN it's a decade. I ain't upgrading, Windows 2000 is perfectly fine!

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

2SHY and Dilbery like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Given that I uploaded it personally and have used it at least 40 times, I doubt that.

Didn't notice that it was in there.

Oh, no one wants to - but they have to.

9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Just remember, if you don't do an upgrade install and do a 'clean install using upgrade media' there's no rolling back in the heightened event that things go pear shaped. I found this out the hard way.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I trust neither mediafire links, nor strangers on forums. I advise others do the same.

That's not an attack on you. That's just basic defense in depth.

While it's nice of you to try and help people, you're teaching them bad habits. Link to the vendor's provided tools, and teach them good habits instead. Guides also exude more gravitas when not filled with temporary file hosting or url-shortening links.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Dilbery likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

*shrug*
    I assume people around here know how to use virustotal.
    And the current version of the MS upgrade tool no longer allows upgrades from Win7 unless you've previously upgraded.
    So the point is moot.

12. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

My OCD'ness is feeling weird about this. For a basic guide, this feels wall-of-text-y and not clear because it assumes too much about the level of competency of the person following it.

13. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I went for brevity over detail, figuring people would appreciate simplicity. Perhaps I should expand it. As Chilled noted, a lot of this has been explained in other threads to date. update: edited.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  14. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Can confirm, having experimented recently, that more recent versions (1903) of the Windows Update Assistant still do not upgrade win7 licenses which haven't previously been upgraded (except on clean install). Only the version listed will do an upgrade installation.

15. chilli

chilli Member

Thanks for the Tips I used No2 Upgrade Install worked well, it was a slow process but that may have been my download speed more than anything else.
    Thankyou

16. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Good to hear! I have no end of problems with No2 generally - hence its important to make a full hdd backup beforehand - but when it works, it can save a lot of time, for example with machines where the owner has misplaced their office install discs, for an older ver of office.

chilli likes this.
  17. chilli

chilli Member

Well being a bone head I did not do the back up, but thankfully it worked, only thing I really had to do was install GPU drivers and I was good to go.

18. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

To be fair I didn't put in a mention of backup for this method, I've now done so. When it fails I've personally found it just reverts to the original installation, but pays to be careful.

chilli likes this.
  19. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

meta, why does this driver installer look and act like a virus? Anyone else used this?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How do you mean acting like a virus? Do you have scanner software?