[WIN7] Upgrading to Win10 - a basic guide

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by metamorphosis, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

sketchy install to be honest; which I've spent the past half hour cleaning up, see photo below. It was adding chrome extensions, opera browser and avast. it wouldnt complete without AV off and connected to the internet, hardly any control using the program even in expert mode. I'm not sure what went on... edit, and wouldn't run in safe mode with networking.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

If it quacks like a duck?

3. kogi

kogi Member

fek, nuke it from space

Deeb0 likes this.
  4. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

my thoughts exactly. NET framework installs that have different logos? pretty sketchy - all gone now though...

5. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

It doesn't do any of that. I'm not going to get into an argument with you here, but there's plenty of people who use it.
    And I just ran a malwarebytes scan over the entire snappy folder, including all the 15GB of downloaded drivers - no malware. Whatever you got is the result of something else you've been doing.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've seen at least two instances where the DNS sent a system to a dodgy site, and a different product was downloaded.

I couldn't tell if this was local malware or a targeted DNS attack, but it appears to me that there is something odd going on.

I don't think it's the SDI team. I think it's someone else trying to piggy back off their success via a DNS attack.

Was easy enough to spot as I was familiar with the original tool. But the people affected were new to it, and got hit.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Interesting - might inform the team about that-

8. chilli

chilli Member

So I used the SDI installer should there be something I should be doing to protect myself or is it to late ??

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think of you're making it to the legitimate site and grabbing the right code, you're fine. I use SDI myself, no problems.

I suspect the couple of systems I saw had problems before they hit the site, and that the redirect was a sign of something else going wrong. I didn't have time to investigate those in depth.

chilli likes this.
  10. chilli

chilli Member

cheers thanks for putting my mind at rest