UPS -- advice/info

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by steelbom, Aug 7, 2021.

1. steelbom

steelbom Member

Hey,

Looking at getting a UPS to protect my rig from sudden power outages, etc.
    I have no experience with UPS at all but have been looking around on umart.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with UPS systems and if these are any good:

https://www.umart.com.au/APC-Smart-UPS-C-1000VA-LCD-230V_51344G.html

https://www.umart.com.au/APC-BR650MI-Back-UPS-Pro-650VA-390W-Line-Interactive-UPS_57330G.html

The price difference between these two is quite significant but the second one is more in my budget.
    Wondering what the difference is in a good quality UPS?

Powering 1x powerboard which has a computer and monitor in it. My PC has a 750W PSU.

Appreciate any input!

2. McRutch

McRutch Member

your PC doesn't use 750W just because it's a 750W psu, try putting all your parts into:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

which will tell you the load, then you can figure out which UPS you need depending on how long you'd like it to run.

3. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Yeah, I know but I'll be upgrading to a 5950X and possibly 6700 at some point so I thought it'll be edging closer to that 750.

Just ran it through the tool (really handy btw thanks!):
    Load Wattage:353 W
    Recommended UPS rating:850 VA
    Recommended PSU Wattage:403 W

I really only need about 60-120 seconds to be able to save files and turn the computer off. It won't normally be running under full load.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's how long you need if you're sitting at the pc using it when the power outage hits, and all of your files save quickly and easily.

If you're instead out in the kitchen making lunch or sitting on the throne etc when the power outage hits, suddenly 2mins isn't going to cut it.

Don't marry yourself to APC either if you can't get one large enough to fit your budget, getting another brand like Eaton or whatever won't give your PC cooties.

5. Renza

Renza Member

Most decent units will have USB connectivity and can auto-shutdown when the battery level reaches a set threshold

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Auto shutdown /= saved work.

7. Renza

Renza Member

most software these days has autosave features or at least has the ability to recover its state if unexpectedly terminated.

Don't forget that you'll need to factor in the power draw of your monitor, too

8. icewind

icewind Member

If you have or plan to have a dual or more monitor set up, you only need to keep one connected to backup power. Just stick the other/s on the surge/filtered outlet on your ups.

9. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Thank you all :)

Yeah, I'll check around for some other brands too. Fair point. Maybe 3-4 minutes would be ideal. I'm never far away
    Just one monitor atm but I'll keep your advice in mind. So, essentially the UPS will connect to the power point, and then it's fine or connect a powerboard or two to it which all my devices will run off?

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yes you can hook up a powerboard if you need additional outlets. Just don't go nuts and be aware of how much you're going to be drawing off those power boards. Also, do not under any circumstances connect a laser printer through your UPS :)

11. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Thanks!

No printer but you've piqued my curiosity. How come no laser printer?

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A laser printer draws a crapload of power to heat itself before it starts printing, more than the rest of your computer combined. You can easily trip out your UPS or if it manages to hold the load, simply suck it dry in a very short space of time.

13. OP
    OP
    steelbom

steelbom Member

Oh interesting! Good to know. No lasers :lol: