Urban Decay

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by j_a_h_2077, Jun 21, 2009.

1. j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

Over the weekend I got the opportunity to visit a disused tram shed storage facility in Sydney. Below are some images I've processed so far:

One of the rooms had a set of stairs leading up to an upstairs room:

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 17-50 mm f/2.8 at 17mm (35mm Equivalent: 25mm) | 3200 ISO | 1/50 sec at f/2.8

Later investigation of the stairs lead me to a room, with a rather unsafe floor:

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 17-50 mm f/2.8 at 17mm (35mm Equivalent: 25mm) | 400 ISO | 1/50 sec at f/2.8

Meanwhile, downstairs I ventured through a set of rooms, which appeared to be a shower block / change rooms:

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 17-50 mm f/2.8 at 17mm (35mm Equivalent: 25mm) | 3200 ISO | 1/50 sec at f/2.8

Some of the local homeless community use the trams as sleeping quarters:

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 17-50 mm f/2.8 at 17mm (35mm Equivalent: 25mm) | 1800 ISO | 1/50 sec at f/2.8

Located throughout the building were a series of fire bells:

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 17-50 mm f/2.8 at 50mm (35mm Equivalent: 75mm) | 2800 ISO | 1/100 sec at f/2.8

2. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

love the fire bell,

for me the graffiti seems to draw the eye instead of the general composition of the whole shot though the tram is visually pleasing *lots of pretty colours but bleak subject*

3. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Wow awesome location, and you've really captured the atmosphere well :thumbup:

4. special.k

special.k Member

That sleeping quarters shot is phenomenal. The colours are fabulous. What PP techniques did you use for it?

5. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Is that the place near Redfern by any chance? Opposite the Technology Park?

Either way, some really nice gritty shots you have there. Absolutely love the lighting, it's spot on.

I'd be too worried taking such shots though as:
    a) I'm chicken shit getting caught places like that by security.
    b) I'd be worried about some druggo/homeless dude mugging me.

All in all some really impressive shots. That fire bell shot has a real "SAW" feel to it.

6. SpammT

SpammT Member

love 2 and 4... composition is great and the colours are amazing.

7. aramis

aramis Member

Nice location dude, colours are fantastic.

8. FB008

FB008 Member

go easy on the saturation, contrast and vignetting. i understand you're trying to use PP to give it the mood but you've nudged it to 12

#4 is the pick of the bunch, none of the others really interest me in terms of composition or subject.

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

The Sleeping quarter and Firebell photos are my pick of the bunch. would have to agree with some other comments especially since the sleeping areas look freshly inhabited that I wouldnt be going there by myself.

The sort of people that reside in these areas might not be as stable/with it as an average person.

10. OP
    OP
    j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

It's next door to the Harold Park paceway (Glebe).

I was there on a Saturday afternoon. When I arrived (to meet a group) there were around a dozen people there. Some were doing graffiti on the walls, some were doing a photoshoot (quite funny seeing someone getting makeup done and trying to use reflectors in a leaky shed), and others were doing general photography. I think the normal inhabitants would be elsewhere during the day, and head there at dusk. It would not be, however a Place I would go on my own.

I also made sure that I didn't step on the bedding or touch anything in the tram. While we were visiting I don't think it's fair to disturb their possessions (if that makes sense).

I used a simple preset in Lightroom (from memory it is called Muted Subtone Pop), with some further adjustments.

11. doridori

doridori (Banned or Deleted)

Know the location well.
    Despite it being relatively easy to located, get to and get into, it's also quite frequently patrolled...

12. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

#4 & #5 for me...really like the bell but I'm getting tired of simple compositions (nothing to do with these photos, just me).

Those two are really stunning though, kudos.