[URGENT] Audio recording on a Macbook...

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ya3, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ya3

ya3 Member

I'm planning to record some voiceover audio on-location using my Macbook (didn't have time to book a proper studio) and am having some trouble. I've got a Sennheiser 416 connected to a Beachtek DXA-4 with a T-Power supply in between. The Beachtek then connects to my Macbook's line-in via 3.5mm audio jack.

The problem is that the audio is coming through REEEAAALLY quiet. Around -40db :confused: I can Normalize it to bring it up to decent volume, but then there's heaps of hiss and sounds like it's almost clipping.

The T-Power unit is on and has fresh batteries, the Beachtek levels knobs are on full and my Macbook's line-in is set to full volume.

I'm thinking I should probably go back to the hire place and ask for a field mixer which can supply phantom power, instead of using the whole Beachtek + T-power thing...? :upset:

2. Comma

Comma Member

Maybe true some post-processing filtering? You'd probably want a pre-amp to help out. Or an Audio-Interface (Which I have one I'm selling >.>)

3. BassKat

BassKat Member

Maybe get something you can connect via usb or firewire instead of using the 3.5mm jack? Don't have a macbook myself so I can't be sure. Best is to take it to the shop and try it out.