URGENT HELP - Unable to boot Windows XP. (Norton Ghost fault)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Excruci@ting, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Excruci@ting

Excruci@ting Member

I tried to run Ghost 2003 to ghost the system drive to another partition on the same disk. The system restarted... And never finished (it got stuck).

After a while I restarted the computer, but it kept running the Dos 7 version on a new C ghost system drive , the former windows drive being sent to Q. Impossible to restart windows, using the ghost utilities, or even access my other drives from the C drive.

Using the windows disk, I got back to recovery console on Q, and ERASED THE SYSTEM PARTITION, aiming at restating the windows drive as system partition. After this, the Q windows drive went back to C:.

But now when the computer boots, it says "reboot and select proper boot device".

Using the windows disk and the console, I runned both fixboot and fdisk/mbr. These both didn't fix the problems. I am really out of ideas and not keen on formatting. Your help would be great. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. mrpats

mrpats Member

I can only imagine at this point now your concern is trying to salvage data from the hard drive.

My suggestion, (what I had to do in the past) is to get another hd from a friend etc, and run up another copy of XP or 2k (whatever u fancy)

Once loaded, use the old hd in slave mode and see what data you can salvage.if you can't see anything or stuff is missing get a copy of easy recovery pro and see what it finds.

good luck, i hope you can get it all back.

3. OP
    OP
    Excruci@ting

Excruci@ting Member

Hey buddy,

Good news is that I have a second HDD in the machine with all my important documents on it. That HDD is backed up :). Im just too lazy to load XP back on the machine, and then spending a week customising it to the way I like it. Would be good to be able to keep the existing OS. No ideas? =(

4. OP
    OP
    Excruci@ting

Excruci@ting Member

Anyone with any other ideas?

5. MiniDisc

MiniDisc Member

you screw up the partition & loader, just copy your files & reinstall windows
    that's the easiest way if you don't know how to fix it..

ghost is best in MS-DOS, not windows