[urgent] need to recover stuff

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Syphon, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Syphon

Syphon Member

I know similar topics have been done to death but I think (probably isn't but I'll get to it :p) this is slightly different.

Basically, my windows install somehow died so that I was unable to get in (safe mode was dead as well)

Anyway, most of my important data is on a separate partition to my OS one so I formatted straight away - I've got 2 partitions... and formatted the one windows was on. I then proceeded to install windows and all's well. But while I was setting up my system (to how it was), I remembered that I had a few important documents in My Documents which were not backed up (ie. the only place they were was in the My Documents folder on the OS partition which has since been formatted and written over).

So yeah, I really need these files back but I've since "written over it"... does that matter?

I'm looking for a solution which I can do myself - price isn't much of a limitation (within reason of course)

TIA

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Try and find a prog called File Scavenger, it may help you out

Cheers

3. OP
    OP
    Syphon

Syphon Member

f*ck :(

Well there's a demo version which won't hurt to try. Thanks

4. trodas

trodas Member

I suggesting using TweakUI change the My Documents folder location to be on the D drive, witch you not reformated when you reinstal the damn winblows.
    I do this was things and Im not lost any data - yet ;)

Im sure winblows could come with some other, more harmful and fatal ways to trash my data anyway :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    Syphon

Syphon Member

Already done - well I've just created another folder for my documents.

Still haven't recovered those files yet :(

6. Hebby

Hebby Member

sorry to say but you got a 1% chance of recovering even part of the files, windows isnt exactly small, so chances of it overwriting stuff is HUGE... [although with any luck maybe your documents where writen to the end of the partition and not overwriten during a reinstall]

as for recovery software

look for
    - winhex
    - easy recovery pro
    - ultimate boot cd [has some undelete stuff on there]

and google about, theres gotta be a zillion undelete programs that will look for files even after a format etc... although, once you have formatted and reset the File tables your not going to have any names, winhex can scour partitions for signatures of some filetypes and try and recover text, images, sounds, etc, but its very hit and miss even on a totally untouched partition.