1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent system not powering up. Was working fine.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by vladtepes, Apr 19, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

BIOS deleted (battery out overnight) had no observable effect. :(

de-overfiend it's not post-ing.
    Jumping the terminals gets the board 'alive' (some LEDs) and the CPU fan spins up (for a while, not too long)
    Nothing else.

In fact I have the board plugged in to my monitor via the onboard HDMI connection, and it doesn't even think its getting a signal.
    It's my understanding that IF post was occurring this SHOULD display on a monitor, even though there's no GPU on the graphics chip - is that right?

CAPT-irrelevant
    OK by USB peripherals do you mean mouse and keyboard? Those are the only USB ones connected.

What about the M2 drives on the board itself, should I take those out to test as well (would require removing the cpu cooler etc)?

Does BIOS require a CPU to be fitted? What if I was to remove the CPU and try to power on would that suit any practical testing purpose?

Recharge, sadly the answer is "completely the opposite end of town from Inala" sadly.
    Human malware.. ROFL :lol:

This is REALLY annoying me, so I really do appreciate the ongoing help you are all offering, a big THANK YOU and please keep it coming... :thumbup:

2. asho444

asho444 Member

Yea, rip out those m.2 drives, get the board bare bone, probably wouldn't hurt to reseat the cooler anyways

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Do not use the onboard HDMI..

You will get nothing!!! No output ie a completely blank screen..

You must use a video card with Ryzen..5/7

A CPU and a working video card and working ram is required to get any bios output on screen.

[

QUOTE="vladtepes, post: 18515997, member: 141104"]BIOS deleted (battery out overnight) had no observable effect. :(

de-overfiend it's not post-ing.
    Jumping the terminals gets the board 'alive' (some LEDs) and the CPU fan spins up (for a while, not too long)
    Nothing else.

In fact I have the board plugged in to my monitor via the onboard HDMI connection, and it doesn't even think its getting a signal.
    It's my understanding that IF post was occurring this SHOULD display on a monitor, even though there's no GPU on the graphics chip - is that right?

CAPT-irrelevant
    OK by USB peripherals do you mean mouse and keyboard? Those are the only USB ones connected.

What about the M2 drives on the board itself, should I take those out to test as well (would require removing the cpu cooler etc)?

Does BIOS require a CPU to be fitted? What if I was to remove the CPU and try to power on would that suit any practical testing purpose?

Recharge, sadly the answer is "completely the opposite end of town from Inala" sadly.
    Human malware.. ROFL :lol:

This is REALLY annoying me, so I really do appreciate the ongoing help you are all offering, a big THANK YOU and please keep it coming... :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

hmmm OK, so maybe can't really try that.

For a time, I had a similar issue where my PC (Ryzen as well) wouldn't turn on. I went as far as jumping the power pins, which de-escalated to just disconnecting and reconnecting the 24-pin mobo power connector, until 1 day I disconnected my whole PC (did not strip down anything in the case) for a house move, and since then everything has been working. I have a few USB and HDMI/DP peripherals (dedicated Radeon card, not onboard) which is why connection shorting was suspect, beyond other suspicion of a faulty front panel board. Since moving house 2 months ago, I've not had any issues since, and that's with my whole rig being re-assembled as it was.

5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Recharge, has offered to take a look at this build. Why not put everything in a box and send it to Recharge by courier. You haven't the expertise to trouble shoot, Vlad.You will end up bricking the board,if you haven't already.

Defyant likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Couriers would bounce the thing around like nobodys business and it'd be more likely to get broken than anything else I reckon.

I don't think there's anything I've done that could brick the board.

I actually successfully trouble-shooted (trouble shot? ) a number of builds over the years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this.

7. Defyant

Defyant Member

Don't have time to read the whole thread soz .

2 probs i had with my son's amd / b450..... ram wouldn't some times boot without correct volts.... board defaulted to stock volts and when i set the speed to 3200 it wouldn't boot.

The other was m.2 and ssd sharing the same resource......

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

[​IMG]
    a bit old fashioned. but it might do the trick.
    i have plenty of dead motherboards that power up and spin the fan...and nothing else. if you find a magic wand please give me a heads up.

9. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

adam did you trace what the cause of those dead mobos was?

Do you think that's the right hammer? I was thinking a deadblow hammer just because computers are delicate right :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Just saw this. OK I'll give that a go. Both of them you reckon?

Thanks
    One wonders why the mobo has an HDMI and DP port at all then?!

The troubleshooting - if we can actually establish the culprit - will allow me to return it under warranty.

11. power

power Member

the onboard video is provided by the processor these days. so will only pass through if the processor has it onboard afaik.

you only just bought this stuff right? no powering up on testbench? might be RMA time.

12. Defyant

Defyant Member

LOL for the G chips vlad..........

vladtepes and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  13. Defyant

Defyant Member

Did you check ram voltage and remove m.2

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Because the Ryzen -G models have integrated GPUs (3000G/3200G/3400G)

vladtepes and sonicthemouse like this.
  15. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

I'm pretty sure it's already covered in the main troubleshooting thread but I'll lay it out for you here just in case.

Read every step carefully, leave no steps out, report back at the step you get stuck at. Do not "I've already done that so I don't need to". Do every step.

(0. Take CMOS battery out for 5 minutes. Short CMOS clear jumper while battery is out)

1. Take it out of my case and put it on a test bench (motherboard box if you have to). DO NOT rest it on an anti-static bag

2. Install the CPU, CPU cooler, and 1 stick of RAM only. Connect a 4-pin "PC speaker" to the board if you have one. Literally nothing else. Not one other single bloody thing

3. Connect the PSU 24-pin ATX power and 8-pin CPU power. Ideally a "known good" PSU if you've got one

4. Attempt to jump board with screwdriver to power switch pins

If it starts and stays running (by which I mean fans spin), go to 5. If it doesn't, go to 0.

5. Turn off PSU at mains switch

6. Turn on PSU at mains switch

7. Attempt to jump board with screwdriver to power switch pins

If it starts and stays running, this will be the second time it has started successfully. Continue to 8. If not, main culprit at this point is BIOS chip is dead/faulty.

8. Turn off PSU at mains switch

9. Turn on PSU at mains switch

10. Attempt to jump board with screwdriver to power switch pins

If it starts and stays running, this will be the third time it has started successfully. At this point, and only at this point, I would consider the board to be 'powering up successfully'. Continue to 11.
    If not, main culprit at this point is BIOS chip is dead/faulty.

11. Turn off PSU at mains switch

12. Install GPU in 1st PCI-E slot. Connect 6/8-pin power (as required) from PSU. Connect monitor to GPU output.

13. Connect a keyboard, only a keyboard, to a USB port. Basic keyboard if possible, nothing fancy

13. Turn on PSU at mains switch

14. Attempt to jump board with screwdriver to power switch pins

At this point, if everything is working, wait up to 60 seconds to see if anything appears on the screen or if any beeps are heard
    • If you get a single beep and something appears on the screen, you're good to go, reinstall other components ONE BY ONE, powering off at mains between installing each component, until you're back up and running
    • If there are multiple beeps coming from the PC speaker, fault-find the beep code (not going to cover that in this post)
    • If there are no beeps, and nothing on the screen, press CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK on the keyboard and see if the corresponding LEDs illuminate.
      If they do, chances are it's a GPU/display issue
    • If it powers itself off after a few seconds, or stays running but has no display, no beeps, and does not respond to CAPS LOCK / NUM LOCK, there are many possible culprits, but let's hope we solve it before then :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks lads, and especially sonic for the detailed list I really appreciate it.

Re 0: I don't have a jumper cap thingy. And looking at the mobo under magnification even I can't be SURE which particular item is the CMOS clear jumper I'd need to bridge to clear the CMOS
    The label seem to be between two items on mobo, and I'm not sure which is which. :confused:
    I want to be sure because I don't want to make anything worse :)

Re 1: Yeah I have it on a piece of cardboard.
    It does occur to me though that at one point (while completely unpowered for days) it was placed on a sheet of bubble wrap. This is when I was building the case, checking stand offs and so on. I mention this in case it might be pertinent.

PC speaker? Wow there's a thing from the past... :) I thought they were built in these days? My intel system had no external speaker.

If someone can clarify the CMOS jumper for me I'll happily do those other steps and report back.

Again, thank you.

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

no. how can i? i did all the usual but the wand dint work. tried 6 individual sticks of ram in all sockets. inspected the cpu and cpu socket. attached an as new stock heatsink onto the cpu. used a known good psu. and a known good graphics card. ...and yes the cmos thing and even a new battery on the off chance that was the problem.

i really just wanna use the hammer.

thing is. do you have any clarity yet on which components are the good ones?

plus, when i dont get any beeps i dont read that as a good sign.

even my current mobo does the beepy thing. dunno if all do.

here's a noob article which doesnt look very interesting or useful:
    https://www.easypcmod.com/know-motherboard-bad-fix-troubleshooting-guide-282

https://www.techjunkie.com/motherboard-failure-diagnosis-solutions/
    ===

an electrician minded person might test the individual components and circuitry but that's a hobby...and beyond me.

how you can determine if it is the cpu and not the motherboard?. you need spares to test. if you rma a non defective part. what happens then?

18. 151528

151528 Member

Refer to page 25-26 of the manual, I just had a look at the pdf available on MSI's website and the info is there.

cmoshelp2.jpg cmoshelp1.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks I looked in the manual that came with it, its a relatively small pic on
    the A5 page and my eyesight isn't all that wonderful. On the board the text JBAT1 appears between two components. So looking at the diagram you've posted above it is the one directly next to the front audio connector. That clears that up. Thank you. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll have a fiddle tonight if I get a chance.
    Might even work on the computer after that... boom, tish ! Thanks I'm here all week... :lol:

20. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

How did you go? Up and running?