USA holiday advice

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by ReForce, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Member

Cheers for that. How far out did you book to get that price?

2. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

Nov 13 for Sept 14.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Member

Thanks for the info Cyb3r.

Out of interest, did you continue to watch flight availability/sales after booking - specifically, did you notice other periods closer to your flight dates where you could have gotten a similar deal?

4. OP
    OP
    ReForce

ReForce Member

Ended up booking Vdara for $340 AUD/night for four nights over NYE - can't wait to see this place.

That site looks useful, thanks for the tip. Anyone have recommendations on which basketball seats are best bang for buck? Court-side is like $1000+, whereas the very back corner sections are ~$80 - will the latter be fine for a non-basketball fanatic who just wants to see a game, or does someone recommend spending a bit more to ensure we actually see the game?

Yeah, I noticed that when looking at train tickets...the only services that allowed baggage were at like 2-5am. Screw that, especially compared to a $75 flight.

Thanks for all the advice guys, the final itinerary we've ended up with is:

NYC 7 nights
    DC 3 nights
    New Orleans 4 nights
    LA 2 nights
    San Diego 2 nights
    LA 2 nights
    San Fran 4 nights
    Vegas 4 nights

Pumped!

5. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Hmmm... If I was you I would have done the LA/SD/SFO leg a little differently, there's a bit of wasted travel time there, but each to their own... Vegas has to be there because of NYE, right?

6. OP
    OP
    ReForce

ReForce Member

The LA/SD/SFO part isn't booked in yet, apart from flights into LA on 20 December and flights from SF to Vegas on 30 Dec.

The alternative idea was to fly into LA and drive straight down to SD for a few nights, drive to LA for a few nights and then drive to SF for a few nights before flying to Vegas.

What would you recommend?

7. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

Yep but not as religiously - over the period i saw the regular ~$1200 LA returns and $1,500 NYC returns, nothing less unless you didn't fly direct (Fiji Air / Air Newzealand)

8. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

Oh wow I've booked at Vdara too for NYE! Was tossing up between Vdara and The Signature at MGM. Hoping to get a room with nice view for NYE fireworks. :thumbup:

9. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Yeah, having the flight booked for SFO-LV kinda screws with any sort of efficient way of doing the leg... Personally, I would have done it SFO-LA-SD-LA-LV, this way you wouldn't be back tracking at all that you hadn't already planned to... However, if you're flying around, it doesn't really matter anyway...

10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Cheers Z!

Vdara was about $300/night for staying over NYE - spiking on the 31st and dropping to pennies on the 1st.

Having been to Vegas before, non-smoking was a massive plus.

Its a PITA that internal direct flights from NYC to LAS are all shit. Domestic J in the US is a joke.

Other OCAU'ers that are in Vdara for NYE - ask for a room on a high level with views over the bellagio - may have to tip reception $$ to secure things but that's the best bet. Obviously having status like Z will help too. Flashing a plat amex would probably work too.