USB 3.0 on ASUS X58P6

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Philll, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

2. millsy

millsy Member

Sweet, any reports on speed?

3. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Not sure. What I'd like to see though are some gadgets with support for it, pretty pointless otherwise.

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

fantastic. I was hoping this would come out sooner rather than later. forget getting a p6t now then. usb3, sata 6g...damn perfect. you just know those new intel ssd's will be sata6g :leet:

quick thought about usb3...can it be used as a networking device? I mean, 4.8gbit....thats a fair crack faster than 1gbit network hardware...even 2 cards teamed.. (4 ports for that matter)

5. zoki_007

zoki_007 Member

hahha true.

Otherwise very good :)

6. millsy

millsy Member

Lol, forgot about that. Going to be pretty hard to test it without something to properly test it hey :lol:

7. Exifar

Exifar (Banned or Deleted)

oooh nice board! Might change my P6T-Dlx OC Palm for one of these.... not that I need it but I WANT it. :)

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

The newest version of SATA will be a while...all new motherboards that are expected to have SATA 6gb/s controller (this year) have been removed from the motherboards until some bugs are sorted...no ETA as to when... :(

As for the USB 3.0, wish they did all the ports as USB 3.0, not half...but it may be just because of the cost.

9. Exifar

Exifar (Banned or Deleted)

Damn! Thanks for ruining my night DM. :mad:

10. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Or the PCIe lanes. With PCIe 2.0 you get 4Gbps per lane. Two USB3.0 ports at full speed will need 9.6Gbps, which is a minimum of three PCIe lanes (or four, if each USB3.0 port has a separate chip. Then each chip would need two PCIe lanes for full speed).

To equal the 12 USB ports found on most X58 boards, they'd have to use either 18 or 24 PCIe lanes. The X58 only provides 40 PCIe lanes, so that'd really cut down on expansion options. They'd only be able to get 8x + 8x SLI/CF unless they used the nForce200 chip, and even then they'd only get 16x + 16x (not 16x + 16x + 16x or 16x + 16x + 8x).

11. proffesso

proffesso Member

so this mobo is oldish then? it says Sata6G on the pcb. damn...was really looking forward to some serious speed

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Pre-release versions. Bugs on the Marvel chipset, to be specific the PATA..yes these boards for some retarded reason have IDE on the board..this is causing the issues with their controller. So companies have removed the controller from the board...no SATA 6Gb/s for all :(

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/07/17/chip-flaw-delays-marvell-sata-6gbps-launch/1

13. booj

booj Member

apparently it's the PATA component of the marvell controller that's causing the problem.. as if 95% of folks give a rats ass if the pata controller is even there :thumbdn: ofcourse IDE is still useful for really pushing pcie freq for the extreme oc crowd hehhe

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

hehe too slow :o :p But yes it is very stupid.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. proffesso

proffesso Member

PATA...

next these things will have ISA and Serial controller issues....

another reason I like mac's...new shit comes out, everything old gets dumped fast.

16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I think its just because no one else has a controller out. While Marvel isn't no intel in making chipsets, surely they could of removed the IDE controller part to get it out the door.

Anyway, back to USB 3.0...can't wait! but i want a full backplane of 3.0 ports!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  17. proffesso

proffesso Member

I want front usb ports...and a usb3 flash stick ;)

so yeah anyway, can this be a replacement to Gbit ethernet?

18. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Since hard drives are still lagging behind, i don't think most users will make the most of these new speeds, unless you sporting SSD's all around...or server/storage setups.

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

we arent even touching sata1 yet for most people. even raptors dont hit 150mb/s

ssd is another matter, with a current X-25M chewing 270mb/s..the new ones will surely be a fair crack faster again, especally if companies start doing that raid-0 onboard the drive itself.

20. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Onboard raid is just asking for trouble IMO. Speeds should be increasing fast enough to not bother spending more on another controller on the SSD.

Interested to see what intel comes up with their latest 32nm SSD's :D