1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

USB power over ~7m

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by BGH, Aug 17, 2017.

1. BGH

BGH Member

I want to power a small security cam on my porch. What is the best/cheapest way to get USB power to it?

DIY solution would be good. Would I be able to solder up a usb/network-cable solution?

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Presumably you're getting the imaging back via Ethernet? If so then probably the cheapest way would probably be a pair of Power-over-Ethernet injectors, thence a suitable step-down power supply at the camera end (coupla dollars off eBay for something like one of these), or whatever's needed to give you reliable/stable +5 volts at the camera end.

Best/easiest way would be a PoE camera, but probably not the cheapest option...

If your camera is wireless for the imaging then mebbe a small solar panel 'n regulator, suitable battery and again one of those power supplies as above.

3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

4. narkotix

narkotix Member

5. Renza

Renza Member

No need for anything that complex, its just for power, so get a couple of extension cables and join them together, or get some plugs/sockets and use whatever cabling in between

6. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Image is just coming back via wifi, so the cable I need is purely for power.

At the moment I'm just leaning towards a 5m power extension cable and 2m usb cable. Was just hoping to hack something together with network cable so that I didn't have to waste an extension lead.

7. Renza

Renza Member

get a USB cable, cut it in half, extend with any cable. Volt drop over a short distance like that won't be much as long as you don't use stupidly thin cable