1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

USB stick has "unknown" file system

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Blaktop, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Blaktop

Blaktop Member

I just bought a new 4gb USB stick......when I plugged it in XP went through the usual, "new device detected.......your new device is now installed and ready to use" stuff, but when I click on it it tells me to "insert a disk into Drive J". Right click/Properties tells me:

Type: Removable disk,
    File System: Unknown,
    Unused Space: 0 mb,
    Used Space: 0 mb,
    Capacity: 0 mb.

If I Right Click and select Format I get the same "Insert a disk" message. My other USB stick lists the File System as FAT32.

I've gone into Computer Management.....it is listed but treated like an optical drive with no DVD/CD in it. There are no options to format....only Change/Assign Drive Letter and Properties.

Every other USB stick I've used has just plugged in, been recognised and usable straight away.......am I just being a noob and missing something simple or is it faulty.

2. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

Do a low level format on it. The manufacturer of the device may have a tool on their site that'll do this, otherwise try downloading the Panasonic SDFormatter tool and try that. If you can't low-level format, it's probably faulty.

3. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

Ever used it on Vista? Could be in the new exFAT format which is part of VIsta SP1

4. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

If it was that, you still should be able to format it in Disk Management without getting an "Insert Disk" error.