USB UPS data without NUT?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by schnappy, Nov 18, 2019.

1. schnappy

schnappy Member

Hi,

Has anyone ever run a non-APC UPS without NUT? I've been using this for ages on a Debian system:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Powerware5110UPSin12.04

Works fine, but it's overkill for my usage. I want to move the serial/data connection to another system and I don't want to run such convoluted software on it.

bcmxcp_usb appears to be a NUT driver, not a Linux driver. I can't find any more generic way to access to the UPS data. Is it perhaps possible there's a generic serial comms driver that could read the info? My experience here is a bit limited.

Or can I maybe just have the upsc component - current system just parses the output of upsc.

Thanks

2. tin

tin Member

Best I can tell, NUT is the only option for older Powerware UPSes, at least for USB. Modern UPSes tend to show as a generic battery (like in a laptop) and you can use standard power management tools.

What's it running that you don't want a full NUT install for, anyway? Might get some better ideas if there's more detail.

3. OP
    OP
    schnappy

schnappy Member

Hi sorry I forgot to update.

UPS is primarily for my NAS to reduce FS corruption or risk to RAID. But I also historise line voltage and frequency and like to check the UPS load occasionally, so I was wanting to connect the USB to a raspberry pi (to save power the NAS is mostly shutdown these days).

I just didn't want to put a full NUT stack on it to avoid the extra complexity especially on a small pi.

I ended up installing NUT but avoided all the monitoring stuff. I use telegraf and a shell script to store the output if upsc in InfluxDB which is achievable with just a minimal nut server that has a driver and upsc to poll it.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

FWIW, a "small pi" is about 80 times more powerful than the first computer I ever installed desktop Linux on.

5. OP
    OP
    schnappy

schnappy Member

I am not so worried about the usage more so the simplicity of configuration so if I want to troubleshoot something later it's as simple as possible (And NUT is not something I have the care to learn anything about, I just want my UPS data). Previous set up with full stack also spammed terminal sessions - not NUT's fault my UPS is flakey but just something I wanted to avoid.

Fair comment though, people tend to underestimate them because they're physically small. Especially the latest 4's I could use as my desktop computer if I had a need too, I don't do much more than web browsing usually these days.