1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

USB -> USB Transfer Freezing/Hanging Problems

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by loefah, Feb 20, 2017.

1. loefah

loefah Member

Gday guys,

I've been having an extremely frustrating issue. I recently bought an ORICO two bay external enclosure (RAID version) from PLE - this is actually the second one as I returned the other due to these problems. However, having the same issue again I'm beginning to believe that it is not the enclosure itself. I have 2 x WD Blue 6TB HDD inside running in RAID 1.

I have been trying with absolutely no luck to transfer data from my old WD Elements 3TB onto this RAID setup but every time the copy paste process will either hang and resume, completely freeze, or crash the ORICO unit where I have to turn it off and back on again for Windows 10 to pick it up. The OS itself presents no issues, it is just the copy process that hangs.

What I have noticed:
    1. When the process hangs, the device will show in Task Manager as 100% Active with 0 read or write happening.
    2. When I download files from an FTP server to the ORCIO unit it transfers smoothly and no hanging occurs - so maybe this isolates the issue to USB transfers only?
    2a. If I am downloading files to the unit AND transferring from the other EXT HDD hanging will occur and more often than not will not end up recovering.
    3. By pure accident when copying some files across my back up drive in RAID1 was removed from the slot and the transfer went smoothly (I assume this delays the RAID copying process - maybe this points to another faulty unit?)

What I have tried:
    Different USB slots
    Enabling write caching
    Updating chipset drivers, USB 3 drivers
    Smaller data transfers (hangs no matter if the file is 15gb or 500mb)
    chkdsk and sfc scan
    Memory test
    Testing with WD HDD software
    Running ORICO unit in JBOD/"Normal" mode and using storage spaces mirroring mode (Windows did not allow me to do this)
    Use Windows built in file transfer and alternatives (Such as TeraCopy and FastCopy)

As I said, this is the second unit I've received and both showed the same problem. Unfortunately I don't have access to another PC to test transfer issues so I'm hoping someone can give me some direction to fixing this problem - or maybe I've just gotten unlucky and this is faulty too. I'd greatly appreciate some help here as I'm sure you can all imagine this is extremely frustrating.

If it helps, my setup is as follows;

Intel Core i7-6700
    Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi
    GTX 950
    Kingston 16gb RAM
    600w PSU

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers :thumbup:

EDIT: Also endless Googling of solutions on the internet have not solved the issue. People seem to experience similar issues but none of the fixes have worked for me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. warhead

warhead Member

Are either of these USB drives powered by the USB port itself or they use external plug packs?

Sometimes motherboards will have 2 different USB chips in them; one for legacy and one for 3.0. If yours is like this, try running the drives on a separate chip each.

Do you experience problems if you transfer from your PC's local drive to the ORICO unit?

3. OP
    OP
    loefah

loefah Member

Both the ORICO unit and the WD Elements are powered via an external power brick.

I'm not certain as to whether my motherboard is like this - do you know how I can check?

I haven't actually given this a try funnily enough, I will give this a shot and let you know if it works any better.

I appreciate your input thank you very much mate.

EDIT: The same problem occurs transferring from C: (SSD) to the ORICO unit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Go to Event Viewer and look at the logs. I am betting you will have drive erros all over the shop.
    Hit the external drives with a disk bench-marking app to see who/what chokes and test with file transfers.

Seeing more and more USB products that are just shit with poor drivers and cheap interfaces.

5. warhead

warhead Member

Look in device manager and see if there are more than one type of USB controllers listed.

Try transferring C to the WD drive as well. If you have the same problem then it could be USB cable, USB port, chipset/motherboard.

And like LostBenji mentioned, look through the EV logs to see if it shows anything noteworthy

6. OP
    OP
    loefah

loefah Member

Yep you were right, they popped up a hell of a lot of different ones whilst running Crystal Disk Mark - on the final write test it hung and the unit disconnected as usual.

Lots of these;
    "The IO operation at logical block address 0x7c094da8 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000021b) was retried."

These errors seem to reoccur with a range of block addresses for Disk 1 (according to DISKAPART this is the hard drive in slot 1 on the unit that the tests were run on first).

Then this comes up:
    "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort20, was issued."

And the "IO operation" error repeats a while and so on.

Then this:
    "Disk 3 has been surprise removed."

and then this error repeats:
    "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR42 during a paging operation."

and I imagine after that is when the unit crashes.

NTFS error:
    "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: V:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume74.
    (A device which does not exist was specified.)"

The WD unit ran the HDD test without a hiccup. What would you suggest as a replacement assuming this unit is faulty and it is not related to my hardware? I obviously won't want another one of these if that is the case.

Device manager only shows 1, "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft). The WD still hums away no problem at all.

I'm not sure what the above errors actually mean but is it safe to assume this is another faulty unit at this point?

I appreciate the help so far, cheers

EDIT: So I have found something interesting. I came across this command "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes". It hasn't completely fixed the issue however, I can now transfer files but the freezing issue and maxing out 100% active time still occurs but it has not crashed so far. I am still receiving errors in event viewer as well. Obviously this is definitely not optimal but a step in the right correction perhaps.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  7. warhead

warhead Member

Is it possible to disable raid on the ORICO unit?
    Just as a test, you could try setting it to JBOD or RAID0 and run crystal mark again and see if the errors pop up. If this works, it could be the raid controller on the unit that's not playing nice - might require firmware/driver update.
    If you still have errors, could be dud USB cable or a dud drive inside the enclosure.