USB3 Drive Flapping

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by mjunek, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mjunek

mjunek Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a pair of identical storage boxes, both based around the Gigabyte P55-USB3 board. I've purchased a pair of Welland USB3 external drive enclosures, which will have a WD20EARS Green 2TB disk in them.

The boxes are installed with Windows Server 2008, SP2 (not R2). Drivers are all installed and updated.

I'm getting an issue where if I connect the external enclosure on the USB3, it appears in device manager, and disappears instantly, then it reappears, and disappears, like it's stuck in a loop. The 'Safely remove hardware' icon appears and disappears from the tray in a similar fashion.

As such, I cant see the drive in Disk Management or anything like that.

If I connect the drive to a USB2 port, it works perfectly.

The driver loaded for the USB3 HCI is
    Provider: Reneases Electronics
    Date: 19/11/2010
    Version: 2.0.30.0

Edit: the controller on the USB enclosure is the JMicron JMS539 chipset

I've also tried a different drive (200GB WD SATA) in the enclosure, with the same result.

Does anyone have any idea on what might be causing this? I'll be moving alot of company data around on these two external drives (backup synchronisation), so the speed of USB3 is required.

Cheers in advance!
    MJ

2. marosy

marosy Member

It might be a little late for this post, but others may read this thread.
    The issue is caused by the JMicron JMS539 chipset.

You may get new firmware for this low quality chip from the following site:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/jmicron.htm

For me the 255.31.3.41.22 firmware is the most stable one.

I have NEC firmware version 3021, NEC driver is 1.0.18.0 and it stable under Windows XP SP3.

You have to find the right combination of JMicron firmware, NEC firmware and driver.

3. OP
    OP
    mjunek

mjunek Member

No such thing as too late - I still havent resolved this issue, so your suggestions are certainly noted and I shall give it a try once Im in the office..... Cheers!

4. OP
    OP
    mjunek

mjunek Member

As an update, I'm half way there - one of the drives is working at USB3 speed, with that same firmware you suggest.
    A quick HDTune is showing approx 100MB/sec - so exactly where I'd like it to be.

The second one, on the other hand, despite being plugged into the USB3 controller, is synching against the USB2 controller. This is one step above where it was pulsing on the USB3 controller, in that it actually works, however, the USB3 speed would be nice! I've tried a bunch of different firmware versions, with no success at the moment.

I'll have to poke around and see if I can find some firmware for the onboard NEC chipset.

So cheers for the heads up- seem to be getting somewhere, one drive at a time!

I'll keep the thread posted for future enquiries.

5. marosy

marosy Member

JMicron JMS539 issues

The NEC firmware has a feature which causes fall back to USB 2.0 if there are to many errors during the communication. Make sure your cable is short and good quality.

Try to run the benchmark several times. I have observed that sometimes the communication is started at USB2 speed, if I start again the benchmark it switches to USB3 speed.
    In my PC BIOS I have a "Legacy USB 3.0 support" option (this PC has an Etron USB 3.0 host controller). If I disable this, there will be no USB2 communication on the USB 3.0 port, so the device will be forced to USB 3.0.

I can't make JMicron JMS539 to work together with Etron EJ168A, I could make it stable only with NEC. Currently I could use the device with JMicron JMS539 only on computers with the NEC chip.

Anyway, I have abandoned my device with JMicron JMS539, and I replaced it with a RAIDSONIC Icy Box IB-250StU3-B enclosure with Asmedia ASM1051 chipset. No issues while connecting it to PC with NEC or Etron chip and performance is good (my HDD can do only 95MB/sec because it is 5400rpm only).

I am sorry to say it, but JMicron JMS539 is simply crap.:thumbdn:

The internet is full with bad experiences about this JMicron chip.
    For instance see this German forum: http://forum.gigabyte.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=1759&pageNo=9
    Google does a good job translating it to English: Translate

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011