1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use fan controller or mobo fan ports?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by fureien, Jun 18, 2017.

1. fureien

fureien Member

Hi All

Im doing a new build for a friend using an Phanteks Enthoo evolve MATX case

this case comes with a fan controller built in, powered by a sata cable

Unfortunately (per my other thread) the guy who sold me the PC didnt include any Sata cables, except the one powering the ssd that came with the PC

So i can only barely power the SSD+a corsair h100i (pump mainly)

This means that im temporarily powering the 2 case fans and the water cooling fans using the standard motherboard pins for fan
    (mobo is a Gigabyte Z170M-D3H-CF)

im just wondering whether its even worth it/beneficial to get additional replacement cables just to use the fan controller?

Does a fan controller provide any benefit over the current direct to motherboard setup?

The fan controller works by plugging all the fans to the controller, power it via sata and one additonal 4 pin to the motherboard (i think it says to plug into the CPU fan). but i cant see any obvious advantages

2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

It's hard to find information on but there is a current / power limit to the mobo fan ports. So long as you don't try to run too many fans from the one header, it will be fine.

If you have PWM fans then you can get things like PWM splitters that let you power and control 2 fans off the one header.

Most motherboards come with software for PWM and even 3-pin fan speed control and there are third-party utilities too.

The only real advantages of a fan controller would be;

* Possibly neater wiring
    * Better control (maybe via manual/front panel) or "better" software
    * Ability to run more fans or higher power fans

So if it's all working fine - and you haven't overloaded the fan headers - then just leave it unless you have some need for one of the above advantages. :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    fureien

fureien Member

thats pretty much what i thought

the wiring isnt any really neater as ive managed to route them around the edges. ive only got 1 fan plugged into each header, so hopefully overloading isnt an issue.

ill leave it as is then

cheers