Usenet - DO NOT ASK FOR INVITES

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Snoochems, May 13, 2011.

1. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

If there are no logs then the only person who knows what you are doing is you.

Thats the nature of VPN's, during peak times (and in general to a lesser extent) you wont cap out your speed unless your VPN provider has massive bandwidth.

Using my VPN i get with Usenetserver i typically get ~60-70% of my total download speed. Sometimes i max it out on offpeak.

2. rincewind

rincewind Member

Possibly a stupid question but if your Usenet provider has ssl is there any need for a vpn on top of that?

3. Rezin

Rezin Member

No.

ooooo.

4. Copie

Copie Member

Well the answer is depends.

Whilst SSL encrypts the connection between server and yourself, you are still open to snooping via your nzb search engine or scraper. Normally I use a VPN to get my nzb files, disconnect and run it via SSL.

All automated via schedulers

5. rincewind

rincewind Member

Cool, I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure, thanks guys!

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Except that there is nothing wrong with downloading NZB files.

If you are that paranoid I hope you paid for your usenet/nzb sites with bitcoin otherwise it can be traced back to you :thumbup:

7. Copie

Copie Member

Or your provider is from a DGAF country.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Except that I bet your provider still complies with DCMA for starters.

Either way SSL to the provider is all you need.

9. Copie

Copie Member

Jesus fucking christ on a candle. You dont give up do you? worse then BadE.

And no my provider does not comply with any DCMA requests.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Which provider? I bet they do, or the equivalent form of DCMA for their location.

If there was a provider that didn't delete their files that would be a first.

11. Darts

Darts Member

I seem to be getting alot of fails on slightly older material which i know is not uncommon. Does anyone know a good backup block server i can use with astraweb? Currently using tweaknews as a backup but would like to try something else.

12. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

with the AUD to USD tanking is there any cheaper Usenet providers that give access to a VPN.

I am currently on a Usenetserver Unlimited plan which gives me a VPN. Costs ~95 USD at the moment.

Suggestions?

13. Keel

Keel Member

Have you looked into Giganews with VyprVPN?

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i use tweaknews and they charge in Euros.

AFIAK most usenet services don't keep logs so even if they gov see you connect to a usenet server they can't get proof since no logs are recorded.

15. dave-

dave- Member

The old 11euro Tweaknews block special finally stopped working. Had been renewing with the same e-mail link for past 2 years. Anyone got any discounts for them? 33 EUR ain't much but still...

Works as a good fill/backup for Astra.

16. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Tweaknews is owned by highwinds now, I would use something like UsenetBucket.

17. pOpArOb

pOpArOb Member

Has anyone had a bad time with Astraweb?
    I signed up for the $15/2mth plan back in August 2014 to try them out, and i didnt renew.
    Then in April 2015 I noticed they are still charging me and I contacted them and they were sorting it out and would refund me the money and they closed my ticket.
    Just this month I found money still being taken out of my account from them, contacted them again to find out wtf they are doing making unauthorized transactions and why this hadnt been resolved after they closed the ticket on me.

I replied with
    It was closed on me without a resolution and you have continued to charge me, the only authorized transaction was the the August 09 2014, the rest are unauthorized and was meant to have been fixed back in April 2015... but im still being charge and haven’t gotten any of my money back.

I responded with
    I signed up for just 2months back in August 2014, I noticed you were still charging me in April 2014 so I contacted you to stop the charges and see if I could get my money back and you closed the ticket on me.
    Which a normal person would assume you would have stopped taking money from me, but no... im still getting charge for it now and you are pleading ignorance... You need to give me my money back, I have already opened disputes on paypal and at the very minimum you need to give me all the money back to April 2015.
    This is not an option, you are being very shady with this and dishonest

So thats where I am right now, I dont understand how they can plead ignorance when I had this same issue with them back in April 2015 and I thought it was resolved.
    Surely they cant plead ignorance after then and keep charging me?

I have disputed the last 2 withdrawals from my account because they are the only ones in the last 3months :/

I havent disputed before, how long do i have to wait for the 'other party' to not reply because paypal will just give me the money back?

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Probably a noob question but whatever.

WTF do I do with these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33gb of that crap and neither 7zip or hjsplit know what to do with them. Sabz says the dl completed successfully. Halp?

19. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Make sure you have the PAR2 files, or maybe SFV will work as well, then run them in this:
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download.htm

I've always found it's been able to figure out the correct file names based on the has values and rename as needed.

ie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ah I see, thanks. Still no bloody good. Only 3 pars for the download, enough to rename 3 episodes worth, and the extraction of those still failed despite all rar's appearing to be in place. FARK :thumbdn: