Usenet - DO NOT ASK FOR INVITES

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Snoochems, May 13, 2011.

1. downforce

downforce Member

That's because it's (or at least was) a nightmare to setup in the first place, plus the interface was very basic/limited. That said, I haven't used it since NZBDrone was very early released and haven't looked back. Sonarr is awesome on mobile, SB was woeful. At the time, it was a no-brainer to swap. Took me couple hours to setup NZBdrone initially. SB took me over the course of a couple nights.

CouchPotato used to be horrid too, it used to pick up either CAMS when they were filtered and never had very good controls over filesizes either. I used it again recently and it's miles better than it used to be, but I did convert to Radarr as I really like the consistent interface of Sonarr/Radarr. Radarr still needs some work, but I'd say it's at least on par with CP at the moment - at least the way I use it!

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Does sickbeard still not let you choose the download you want?
    This is a must have feature now that links get removed from servers quickly these days and downloading old series etc

As for CP, I found stupid high cpu usage, not downloading movies when released and randomly adding movies from 1920s for no reason pushed me over the edge. And again, not being able to chose the download.

I'll never look back at sickbeard and cp after using sonarr and radarr

3. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

This very much

As soon as I moved from Cp to radarr, I managed to get a bunch of movies CP refused to find

Both Sonarr and radarr seem to use less CPU (compared to CP thats not hard)

I also like that the interface is the same on both

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Fair enough. Sickbeard doesnt let you choose the one you want. Ive never had to though because rarely do I get a failure. I guess the fact that I run mine 24/7 means I get releases before DMCA. I dont have to ever select a release. Though Failed Downloads remembers a failed release and will try a different one so on the rare occasion it doesnt work, it'll try something else. I'll not leave Sickrage unless something obscene starts happening.

I dont track CPU usage, I dont remember having any issues on released movies not getting downloaded when they become available, and in my 3+ years of using CP, I have only ever had 1 incorrect movie downloaded. The sizing controls work great and I get proper copies every time. Though there are annoyances I have using CP sometimes when I do use that have made me consider switching, I havent gone through that effort yet.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Have been using SB for years with SBZ combo and a bunch of search providers, it really is set and forget and works well.
    These days I'm getting about 80/20% success/failure alert rate emailed though from SBZ, I think it comes down to good/bad NZB search feeds. Interested in what ones you use / recommend? :Pirate:

Currently ticked in my SB: NZBs2Go, nzb.su, NZBGeek, nzbindex.in, Womble's Index , Sick Beard Index, NZBs.in. Not sure how many are dead though, as I said it's been years. What's fresh?

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Nzbgeek as number 1. That's about it. Think I have another backup one.

7. AERO

AERO Member

i just got internode nbn, moved from optus adsl2, been good for the last 3 hours ive had it lol, havnt had net since the 5th. my sonarr is queueing up a few items to download which is great,have blocks through astraweb and twearnewz, got told internode have a free service, just cant seem to find any information how to enter it into my nzbget :( speeds have been alright though seems my steam updates are leeching the whole bandwidth to update with lol, 10gb down and still going for that haha. :) i also have to see if internode do the free upgrade from 25/5 to the 50/20 that ive been hearing about last few days

edit: just read a nub guide to getting the internode thing, when i test the connection says astraweb authorisation denied for that conection. might be cause my connection isnt finalised yet

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

ISPs generally don't have the binaries groups cached, so it may be free but it's useless unless you like actually reading news groups.

9. AERO

AERO Member

thats cool, just a mate was saying thats what he uses, i dont mind paying for the data blocks every now and then, suits my needs, ive already got my sources sorted so all good on that front.

10. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Also, you're about 5 years too late. Many of these value-add services that Internode and the like offered have since gone altogether or are lost and forgotten after being incorporated into the TPG mothership.

11. AERO

AERO Member

i was most certainly late to the party, usenet has been good for 1 1/2 years for me though so im happy with that :)

12. RHCP

RHCP Member

13. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

With an Internode service, it used to be the case where you left the username and password blank to connect to the Internode-offered Astraweb service. Keep in mind, you cannot utilise the encypted SSL service with this method either. (If Internode still offer the free Astraweb usenet, and you have a boner for SSL'ing your traffic, then you'll need to be buying a service directly from Astraweb, or the many other Usenet providers...

/personally, since leaving Internode, I've purchased a couple of 1TB block accounts from Astraweb for the bulk of my downloads, and four or five smaller block accounts from other providers for fill serving. When adding the Astraweb server, be sure to include the European server as a fill server, if using the USA server as your main server - I've noticed many files/blocks DMCA'd on the USA server, only to downloaded okay from their European server. Go figure ;)

***edit
    RHCP posted this whilst I was typing all that out. This is exactly how you need to have your Usenet client configured to take use of Internode's free Astraweb offer. You can play around with the number of connections, up to a max of 40, but apart from that, everything else needs to be the same.

14. AERO

AERO Member

it still wouldnt work when i clicked test server, its ok though, i also took your advise and added he eu astraweb as an extra one, (think i have been using general astra one), got hte euro one as my top connection then tweaknews, i rarely have problems, its more finding the indexers. have two that work automatically and one if i need to manually fill gaps or want something specifically :)

15. downforce

downforce Member

Internode service still works fine, even with binaries, as long as you're with an integrated iiBorg (read: TPG) provider.

Host: news.internode.on.net
    Port: 119
    Username/Password: <blank>
    SSL: No
    Connections: 20

It's still my highest priority provider.
    Total: 845.5 GB
    Today: 3.7 GB
    December 2017: 89 GB

16. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

So do telstra offer Free access ?

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

Telstra don't offer free anything :)

Best bet is to buy blocks or a subscription.

18. downforce

downforce Member

Seems Internode/iiNet have stopped paying the bill
    [​IMG]

mikezilla2 and darknebula like this.
  19. noober69

noober69 Member

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Interesting. The special Astraweb are offering is pretty good from what I can see too.

If this is the end of Internode Usenet I think that might be the simplest switch, with my usenet.farm block as backup (hardly used 20gb in the last 12 months).

EDIT: just saw noober69's special above... any comments on how XSusenet compares to astraweb?