1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Usenet - DO NOT ASK FOR INVITES

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Snoochems, May 13, 2011.

1. mortal

mortal Member

Yeah you can restart quite easily - havent tried the backlog search before.

2. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Hrmm, now that you mention it, I didn't get the usual Notifo alerts for Monday's items.

Alas I'm ~300km away from home, and don't have RDP etc (yet) so it will have to wait until Wednesday night.

3. ex4n

ex4n Member

Hey guys, I am pretty new to this but have started getting the shits with Astraweb.. it seems like more and more files are missing blocks or apparently "out of retention" for like 400 day old stuff... which shouldn't be the case.

I don't really know how to evaluate other providers but I want something around $10 a month or less which gives around 400gb or unlimited downloads each month and will hopefully have less of these kind of problems than astraweb.

Additionally, can anyone link me to some further reading which may help me understand WHY these kind of errors occur and if there is anything I can do to prevent it. Obviously if the repair blocks are missing, I'm screwed either way, but I've been led to understand this differs on a per provider basis?

Cheers

4. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Check the files it does DL as some newsreaders will save the text file stating the reason it was removed, due to a DMCA notice. Astra is fine otherwise. What you need to find is a non-US based server that doesn't respond to DMCA notices and if you do find a good one let us all know "so we don't sign up with a company that isn't law abiding".

5. maev

maev Member

Just jumped onboard.
    Running with a usernetserver trial, though will likely maintain a monthly plan if usenet has a good catalogue of files (seems its a good as filehosting/torrents).

I went with nzbmatrix for the indexer, and am using the SAB downloader, though I'm not really sold on it. I tried the other free one (forget the name ~ was sort of a green gecko theme) however it said that all the files i initially tried were unavailabe (some error about them no longer being there anyway).... however with the SABznb they are downloading the files fine, so something wrong with the other program.

Any tips for a noob would be great. SAB seems to suck because i can't see the current DL rate...

edit: grabit was the green-theme gecko program i was referring to (that didn't work well for me) - quite a bad description heh.

Also jumped the gun and paid for a VIP to nzbmatrix. Was that an ok move for me to pull, or are there much better alternatives out there?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Get SickBeard for your TV shows, Couch Potato for movies.

Any tips for getting sab to auto run on boot? Fedora 17, tried moving the wiki script to /etc/init.d/sabxxx and added it to xinit.rc, tried sysctl with appropriate run levels too. Sickbeard starts fine as a service, this is probably the wrong place to ask, might make a new thread.

EDIT:

nvm, had to modify sab script to remove sudo then symlinked from /etc/init.d/sab to /etc/rc3.d/sabxxx, seems to work fine now!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

8. maev

maev Member

SAB is being less annoying now after reinstalling it. Now it shows KB/s speed and download time remaining, rather than B/s (which was always 130 previously anyway??) and some huge gibberish number for time left (usually 298429:39:44)

9. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I just had another look at my setup and noticed that all of Monday's downloads were grabbed from NZBs.org. If you guys are using NZBMatrix as your only search provider, it looks like they may have an issue.

10. aokman

aokman Member

Its not something that can be talked about... google it...

On another note im leaving Astraweb in search of another provider after many years, who's everyone else moved on to?

11. ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks aokman.. will see what I can find out, I tried not to be too specific in my post but I see what you mean.

Also interested in the answer to your question.

12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Having trouble getting SB to see nzbmatrix, and I can load the RSS feed via a browser, any ideas?

13. ex4n

ex4n Member

What's the error? Anything in the logs?
    Are you on windows...

14. Beaner

Beaner Member

Astraweb have implemented an automatic DMCA take down service - which means if the copyright owner submits a DMCA request it automatically goes down. This is playing havoc with Usenet subscriptions - Google it and you will see the results..

I feel this could be the end of Usenet. (well people posting copyrighted material on it anyway)

15. maev

maev Member

Yeah i just started trying usenet and files less than 3 days old are incomplete... wasted probably 30gigs + on downloading files that end up missing thousand of articles. I think i read about programs to check file integrity and save this hassle.. forget their name now.

Trying Grabit as SAB was downloading the files and claiming they were in directories that didn't exist (at all)... so the file that did download successfully don't actually exist anywhere...

16. ex4n

ex4n Member

No problems at all with SAB for me.. it's flawless <3
    I dunno if grabit runs post processing scripts or not but it's one of the things i love most about SAB.

Are you on windows? Are you sure it hasn't moved the file somewhere after downloading or anything? I only ask as you said you're new to usenet... (check the logs if you haven't, may tell you something you didn't know.)

17. mortal

mortal Member

Of course it can and has.

Usenetserver is my primary and astra is backup - I think I'll still dump astra, freaking useless anyway.

18. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Aye, not even hours old, already DMCA'd... goodbye Astraweb. :thumbdn:

Moved to Usenetserver, took 5 minutes to setup, and cancelled the Astra sub.
    Now coming down non-DMCA'd just fine. :thumbup:

edit: used special pricing found here, 2012 Editors' Choice Winner:
    http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/usenetserver-special.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  19. dexster

dexster Member

yeah newdemon is my unlimited cheap usenet provider
    also went with blocknews as the backup...

im just pissed i did not get into the whole usenet thing earlier :o

20. aokman

aokman Member

Well you can't talk about it on most Usenet search forums so i don't see why admins would let you talk about it here...