1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Usenet - DO NOT ASK FOR INVITES

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Snoochems, May 13, 2011.

1. mike-s

mike-s Member

DIY seems to be the best bet, I'll be taking a crack at doing that roll-your-own shortly.

2. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

just give it a week or so they will start coming in. for now people are playing with there own or just use the default sickbeard one. im back to torrents for now so i dont have to manually download shit. at least i can still use RSS feed downloading with torrents to automate things a bit.

3. Kow

Kow Member

luckily i had backup accounts on other usenet indexers before the closures so i still have some automatic downloads happening. But IN on OCAU backup indexer threads :)

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

what do you need 1500 days retention for? the latest stuff by definition doesn't need huge retention.

and I've been on the intertubes so long I know what SLIP is. Even before the 'web'.

this thread just screams of lots of butt hurt noob pirates, upset things aren't so easy anymore with automatic indexing, and automated index searching so they can keep up to date on their latest copyrighted content.

seriously, I'm amazed everyone is so openly upset they can't steal anymore.

5. mortal

mortal Member

Sounds like a butt hurt elitez 13yr old hacker...Damnz noobz!!@#$

6. mike-s

mike-s Member

Some of us may have family members whom use these index sites, or have an expectation of content being easily found and downloaded by their more technically inclined spouse/relative. Things like this make keeping to that expectation a bit more of a pain in the arse.

7. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

When I grow up I want to be as cool as you.

Everyone was a noob.

8. aza2001

aza2001 Member

I'm with you cvidler. I'm also surprised this thread is still going...

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Congrats to you for stating your existence of using usenet crap. But just like anyone else in the world you get use to the simplicity and easy access of files so now it becomes much more harder to get what you want.

I just hope there is a new replacement coming up soon but SickBeard seems to be working fine so far:thumbup:

10. aokman

aokman Member

who says people are stealing... noone can use NZBmatrix anymore regardless of what they download.

I'm more amazed that you walk in here and call everyone else noobs lol... Some of us have been on Usenet for a loooooong time

11. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

You under estimate how long people have been involved my friend.

Its more the convenience of SICK/COUCH more then anything. Who the fuck has time to queue shit for hours.. :rolleyes:

12. Cererus

Cererus Member

What's the point of building your own indexer if the content is getting removed from the servers,
    I mean the dmca stooges could just harvest the headers from every group, they have the cash to do it, and just run a search using a list of stuff they "protect" to issue notices ?

This will be like megaupload, months later there are many more file hosts than there were before.

sorry if this sounds naive i'm a noob :p

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

"Its more the convenience of SICK/COUCH more then anything. Who the fuck has time to queue shit for hours.."
    "Some of us have been on Usenet for a loooooong time "
    "Some of us may have family members whom use these index sites, or have an expectation of content being easily found and downloaded by their more technically inclined spouse/relative. Things like this make keeping to that expectation a bit more of a pain in the arse. "

You're still all implying it's your right to be able to download copyright material freely. Now that it's gotten a bit hard you're all whinging.

I'm confused and baffled by the complacency displaced by nearly everyone in this thread.

Generally people don't publicly talk about their illegal activities.

Where's the thread on OCAU for open talk by car thieves? or wife beaters?
    (yes, they're very different crimes and I don't mean to marginalise them, but they're all still illegal).

14. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

The content I watch which is overseas (EUROPEAN TV) in a language other then english is unavailable at all for me to watch. Even via Satellite.

There is no other option. They dont release it on DVD or blueray.

So your accusing me of something illegal now? Right.

15. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

https://twitter.com/Morganelli

Pretty sure this is you.....

There's always one that has to be the strongly opposed opinion, don't use it? don't post its that simple.

16. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I agree with your sentiment but have you tried to find a legal way to obtain the same thing for a reasonable price with the same convenience?

Short of VPNing Hulu or Netflix (which I'd need to get an HTPC for as none of my other devices appear to support it...hmm Xbox?) you have to pay $$$ per month to Foxtel and get heaps of stuff that I have zero interest in.

I hardly download anything anymore, the kids youtube my little pony or hot wheels. But I would like to be able to pay a decent price for HD versions of TV.

iTunes can go fuck itself for it's $3.50 episodes. I can get a boxed set for less with resale value.

17. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

totes.. :lol:

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm the first to complain the big media houses have got it wrong, they haven't adapted with technology and peoples wants/usage patterns. Nor have they seen the light and realised how they can effectively utilise technology to keep making money, instead they want to sue everyone.

I also 100% disagree with the way the laws currently are and the bloody rediculous penalties dished out (you know those $100k per file fines, bankrupting little children etc. etc.), you should be allowed fair use of content not otherwise available to you.

The point I'm making if "the first rule" were followed the problems currently being faced wouldn't have occurred. The popularity is the downfall. It happened to napster/torrents/now news, and it'll happen with whatever next becomes the noobs favourite.

19. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Just a reminder, that when you set up your indexer, you need to have a news account to do the indexing. If that's Astraweb or another DMCA happy provider, you'll be downloading incomplete headers for files.

Unless someone knows of the last bastion of hope, a provider that hasn't had DMCA takedowns?

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

lol no, and fixed.