User-friendly FTA recording plus Netflix

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Praxidice, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Praxidice

Praxidice Member

What suggestions are available for ***EXTREMELY*** user-friendly FTA recording, EPG and Netflix for use by techno-philistine wrinklies who aren't interested in becoming full-on geeks.

I haven't looked at these for some time however my experience has been that they are all impossibly fiddly and completely hopeless for people who don't wish to constantly tweak this or that.

The likes of Kodi / tvheadend are almost certainly out, although I have heard that Media Portal has got its act together. HDHomerun was another option I've tried in the past but had incompatibility problems with Netcomm router. Predictions of a 'new' range don't appear to have come to pass since I haven't found any local retailer who stocks any consumer level HDHomerun devices. Australian EPGs were also a disaster zone, has anything improved recently ?

Whatever is implemented MUST be stable / reliable / easy to use, and not need the services of a team of techno-geeks to keep it working. I'm not particularly impressed by any mainstream commercial hardware from Hardly Normal / Good Guys / etc as they are quite limited in abilities and likely to be quickly superceded. Previously TiVo filled most requirements but unfortunately its joined the dinosaurs and if there is a decent replacement, I've yet to encounter one.

2. power

power Member

then you are SOL - this is the best way to approach this kind of crap - some form of consumer off the shelf dvr and a netflix app built into whatever device.

3. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

As I mentioned in my original post, commercial hardware options are not ideal due to inbuilt limitations / planned obsolescence. What i am seeking is a measure of user-friendliness that is totally foreign to Kodi / tvheadend. There is absolutely no need for bells and whistles but on the other hand, being effectively locked into FTA (a la Fetch) and having only hard coded apps (as per Panasonic DVR) is too limiting. Ultimately all software 'solutions' must mature into userland, the question is whether or not Media Portal or something comparable has reached that stage.

4. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I personally use Kodi as the front end with a TV Headend server as the backend and the appropriate TV Headend plugin within Kodi, works a treat and very reliable - I can even watch FTA TV on my Android devices and the wife can use it just fine. Every bit as simple as any 'smart TV'.

The problem is that Netflix support is weak at best under Kodi.

The last time I used Media Portal it was no where near as polished as Kodi. If open source solutions are off the cards and you don't want a proprietary solution than you're buggered I'm afraid.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Why does it have to be fta recording?

The Xiaomi mi boxes or similar with FTA apps and Netflix app are a simple solution these days.

7. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

The playstation suggestion sounds like it might be worth a look, although I have never played a game in my entire life. I have a few tuners I've used in the past with various software but I will need to purchase a console and remote. Presumably the console can handle FTA recording providing it has adequate HDD capacity. Can those be upgraded or will they talk to an external hard drive?

8. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

Thanks, will check that out. I have or had something comparable I tried with BIG CRT units and wasn't overly impressed, although it did fill the bill for a while. The resolution didn't help but no doubt it would be somewhat different with a more recent box and LCD. As I recall, recording needs an external USB drive with these things but that isn't a problem

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

Recording is essential because SWAMBO wants to record crap :)

10. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

I've had quite a few battles with Kodi and tvheadend and each time I ended up with a splitting headache and surrounded by piles of hair I'd torn out in frustration. IMO this is pre-alpha grade software that only geeks should mess with. Open source doesn't need to be as fiddly as Kodi, especially after who knows how many years supposedly developing / getting the bugs out. Tvheadend is IMO the abortion of all abortions. Most of userland has no need of backends and frontends, we simply want straightforward software that works.

11. flu!d

Honestly, I'm running a Linux server and a Linux frontend and the setup was totally straightforward and I've never had an issue. I wish I could say the same for MythTV, that was a nightmare.

the_fuzz likes this.
  12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

13. OP
    OP
    Praxidice

Praxidice Member

How do external android boxes and play tv deal with EPG? I can't recall seeing an EPG in the android box I had (and maybe still have someplace) but I vaguely remember something about Sony incorporating an EPG in playstation. It wasn't in the TV tuner as far as I can tell.

14. flu!d

They don't as far as I'm aware unless you use Kodi and some form of TV server.

15. haplo_1

haplo_1 Member

Closest to a TIVO is the Fetch mighty, with recording padding EPG issues are rare. No "media player" is going to meet you user friendly requirements.

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Can you not just direct people towards Catch Up TV services instead of recording?

I'm a Kodi user, and ran into disk space issues, because the kids would just scheduled recording of pretty much all of ABC Kids... (Which I guess means its user friendly enough, since a 6YO could work it out without prompting).

Deleted all the recorded TV, enabled iView add-on, and now they just use that instead.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

when's the last time you fiddled with kodi? There are other backends. I tried one (wasn't tvheadend), and it seemed to work ok. The Tv "stuff" is now integrated and wasn't too difficult to get working. I can't remember how easy it was to use.
    I'm not sure why panasonic dvrs wouldn't fit the bill. You get the epg, you say what to record. what's to go obsolete, it's fairly basic? :confused:

18. flu!d

The TV Headend front end under Kodi on Android. If you can sort through your issues with TV Headend, this combined with the Netflix app is literally the only way to achieve what you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

The ps3 slim typically came with a 320gb hdd (plenty of recording space) but there was 500gb versions of the PS3 too. Heres one with controller and the remote going cheap:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-Pl...918916?hash=item1eeb31a804:g:RC0AAOSw4SxbTChd

The ebay links I provided before to the play tv include the actual dedicated PS3 tv tuner (Tuner connects to USB on the console and your antenna connects to the tuner), and the EPG support is flawless. It will definitely tick all of your requirements and collectively be under $200 second hand. Another bonus: It will play blurays and DVD's too!

20. flu!d

Do you have to pay the monthly subscription to be part of Sony's 'network' to download, install and use Netflix?