Using a PDA for GPS navigation

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by soothers, Apr 28, 2005.

1. soothers

soothers Member

ok guys, i want a Sat Nav for my car cause im hopeless with directions ( and there cool) .. but i dont wanna spend like $900 to get one.. so i wanted to know if its possible to put like a PDA in my car and get a GPS thing for it and then get the software for the directions .. is this possible .. has anyone done it...

here is some gps things ive found on ebay.. i dont know if that will work..
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34290&item=5769477665&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34290&item=5769477680&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34290&item=5768763810&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34290&item=5768763825&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34290&item=5768763834&rd=1

so if i can find a pda for like $350 and then one of the gps things for around $100.. it would be alot cheaper.. if it works

thanks

2. Flamous

Flamous Member

Yep, seen it. A friend of mine has one for his pda and i was surprised at how accurate it was. Only problem is that the software can be a bit buggy but other than that its really good, especially for planning routes and things.

3. OP
    OP
    soothers

soothers Member

what is the software called that you would use on the pda?

4. Decromin

Decromin Member

Your gonna get close to $900 anyways ...the cheapest routing software (as opposed to simple map overlay software) for Australia is about $AU400, and goes up to nearly $1000 for something like Destinator. That said, I use a bluetooth GPS unit with my h6365, and it works great.

5. ruski

ruski Member

Woah getting a USB one for a Laptop seems pretty cool....anyone used one before? Work well?

6. OP
    OP
    soothers

soothers Member

software from $400 to $1000 ..

jeez..
    there must be a cheaper way to do this..

7. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Most GPS's designed to work with PDA's are going to cost you around the $250 to $300 mark for a start.

Plenty of software out there sub $100 if you want generate your own maps. ie Navio, Vito technologies to name a few.

Microsoft's Pocket Streets 2005 is not bad and there are maps for the product covering Australian cities, though I'm not sure about the availability here, something about only selling the product in the US and Canada. :confused:

Like Decromin, I'm using a bluetooth GPS with a HX4700, and have found the software pretty good, not buggy at all.

8. PhuckNut

PhuckNut Member

HP2210 here, with a rebadged Globalsat BC-307.

It really depends on what you want it to do. Streets & Trips can pinpoint your position on a map, but that's about it. It's very limited.
    If you want routing, ie it telling you where to go, you'ld be looking at something like Co Pilot Live, or Destinator 3.

There's been a handful of topics on this recently, so it might pay to search a bit.

Most notably, http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=368536

9. OP
    OP
    soothers

soothers Member

would someone with Destinator 3 be able to send me the maps of australia somehow.. if that is possible to send a map.. or just send me the map of QLD ...

10. PhuckNut

PhuckNut Member

The maps are copyright, so you'll have to buy them.
    www.c1au.com I think is the site.

11. deadpoet

deadpoet Member

You can get Destinator 3 + whlole of Australia maps for $399 at efrontier. However, it's true that you'll need to get a GPS receiver + PDA in addition to that which will bring the cost up to about $900. Having bought all that stuff, I think routing software really is overrated. They aren't terribly accurate (I'm talking about Destinator here) and the voice prompts are often quite dodgy and confusing.

Give it about 5-10 years for the damn things to mature. However, GPS is great for finding out exactly where you are at any given moment.

12. Phunkae

Phunkae Member

i got mine for under 900
    u can also get a navman portable gps unit powered off 12v dc

13. OP
    OP
    soothers

soothers Member

ok i have got the destinator 3 software..

now i need to find the cheapest PDA and GPS reciever... can anyone tell me where.. if its a 2nd hand PDA thats ok.. cause its only gonna be for sat nav anyway...

14. nux

nux Member

You should have just gotten this or this. Would have worked out cheaper and better quality than getting 2nd hand stuff.

15. brembo

brembo Member

Search the forums or ebay for a 2nd hand ipaq, if your lucky you can pick one up for about $200-300, maybe less. GPS receivers can be had for about $100 off of ebay, they come in most types of interface, CF, SDIO, BlueTooth.

Just make sure you get a PDA with a slot for a memory card (to store the maps) and another way to use the GPS. ie. SD for memory, and CF for GPS, or CF for maps and BT for GPS.

16. crYnOid

crYnOid Member

I will second that. If you just follow the map on the screen you will be fine. But I have also found with Destinator 3 that listening to the voice prompts and sometime the on screen prompts can lead you astray.

17. kung-f00-kamel

kung-f00-kamel Member

I have a Blue tooth Navman 4420 and I use both Smart ST and Destinator and both can lead you a stray sometimes, no fault of the hardware though just crappy software

I like the destinator better but either one will do

The Navman 4420 is about $600 with software and will work on any PDA or laptop with bluetooth

I am about to build a carputer using Mapmonky which is a modified version of Destinator, it works pretty good to :)

Cheer's :thumbup:

18. joel231

joel231 Member

Yeah i have a bluetooth gps and hp ipaq 4150, running navigator 3, i love it works really well, and i also got my gps of ebay as well.

Edit: Only problem is sometimes it doesnt send you on the best route, it sends you on the most direct route, which i have noticed is not all the time but sometimes, but if you go another way it re calculates it for you. But sometimes it says do a u turn or a turn where u cant, but where it thinks it can turn.

Cheers Joel

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  19. kung-f00-kamel

kung-f00-kamel Member

Yeah 4150's rule :) I love mine too

20. dysfunC

dysfunC Member

Most decent bluetooth gps adaptors come with software..

We're going to have a belkin bluetooth gps adaptor with travroute software at work soon for $399.

I've got a USB adaptor for my laptop, haven't tried it yet though.