Using air filters on computer fans for cleaner air

Discussion in 'Modding' started by laptop, Jan 29, 2019.

1. laptop

laptop Member

I have 120mm fans on my computer so want to put some air filters on these fans for cleaner air.

Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone know where I can get 120mm air filters?

I have heard that HEPA is good.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

3. Jazper

Jazper Member

PVC dust filters work well at filtering dust, but not so well at other nasties. The problem with HEPA type filtering is that it creates restriction, so you need high static pressure fans. This can create noise.

4. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

HEPA filters are normally used in airconditioning for test/operating rooms etc pointless putting on a pc as they are for taking out minute particles and as your room is full of dust etc
    and they will block up very quickly

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  5. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Took the front cover off mine, and slid a stocking over it, yes I did feel weird when purchasing from Kmart.
    Seems to work a treat at keeping all the dust and cat hair out, as it is visibly stuck to the front of the case, pretty easy to clean too.

sickbunny likes this.
  6. Sunder

Sunder Member

You think that's weird? One time, when the the accessory belt driving the alternator went late at night, I went into a servo to get a replacement - but left the engine running in case there wasn't one of the right size. (Didn't want it to not start again). Left my two friends, two big burly guys in the car. There wasn't one the right size for the car, but there's a trick where you can twist and pull a stocking to high tension, and tie it to the pulleys. It won't drive a heavy load like an air conditioner, but it will drive smaller pulleys like alternators and power steering.

I bought one, and got the strangest look from the cashier!

Anyway, back on topic, the other trick is to lift your PC off the floor. I traveled with my PC through hotels on a road trip (So I could game with mates, after the kids have gone to bed). 3 days on the floor of a hotel room, which should be vacuumed every day, got more dust on it than a year sitting on my desk.

7. OP
    OP
    laptop

laptop Member

Thanks for your replies,
    I noticed how much dust and such collect in my computer and it could definitely be improved. If it's in the computer it is also in my lungs which is probably not so good.
    I like that stocking idea.

8. Sunder

Sunder Member

Your lungs have mucus membranes to stop a lot of this stuff getting in. But it depends on the size and nature of the particles. It's not the dust you can see that's a health hazard, but the tiny PM2.5s that you can't see that's an issue.

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

I REALLY need to do this with my next build, 2 indoor border collies is a LOT of dust and hair in my pc and I'm sick of cleaning it :lol:

next build being a all new zen 2 when they hit the market in sixish months.. HURRY UP!!!

10. power

power Member

buy a chassis that is designed with filtration in mind. As in it's already there.

11. Recharge

Recharge Member

thats what I was planning, as the time gets closer I's start seriously looking.
    most cases don't come with such filtering in mind unfortunately :/

12. power

power Member

a lot of Fractal's have them, even the cheapies. I'd also recommend 140 over 120mm if you are getting something new - just that touch quieter.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can't go wrong, used it plenty of times before, works great.

14. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Fractal case has been the best case I've owned, multiple easy to remove dust filters that are vacuum friendly are awesome.

15. Hater

Hater Member

just WC and make the radiator and fans very high up not near the floor :)

16. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

I have 2 AIOs in my case, but the volume of air that is sucked through pulls the cat hair in and blocks the radiator, stocking on the front eliminates this issue.

17. philquad

philquad Member

id shave the cat

firey4059 likes this.
  18. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Have threatened the wife that I will turn the cat into a poodle, infact he is starting to get knots on his underside from them not brushing him and stuff, so looks like it will happen. Woooooo.

firey4059 likes this.
  19. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

My DF case has filters on all inlet fans. Can be removed for cleaning without tools while the PC is running.
    My preferred method of cleaning is to spray with Windex and the reverse flush under the tap. Shake most of the water
    off and then blow dry with hair dryer.

HEPA filters belong on the exhaust side of fans but as already noted they're overkill. Also they're typically used after a PVC filter with larger pores.

20. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

All I can hear is Mrs. Slocombe from Are You Being Served and the endless monotony of pussy jokes therein.

Silverstone make 120/140mm DEMCI and 240/280mm DEMCI magnetic filters, very fine filtration so I don't think pet hair would be an issue. Magnets go all the way around the frame so there's zero gap if your case is standard.