1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Using LAN cable for 'other' purposes

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by MrSquiggle, Apr 7, 2020.

1. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Pardon the negativity but, in this politically correct, nanny state world in which we live today, what is the current guidance on running something like CAT5/6 cable for non network, phone, CCTV or security purposes around your home for low voltage (eg 12/24v) controls? (eg Operating a relay at the other end of the house.)

Background to this is having heard (third hand!) that even making your own LAN patch cords is now verboten. (I'd like to this is nonsense but am inclined to believe the unbelievable these days!)

2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I use lan cables for making serial data leads all the time. Can't see why running the cable for what you plan to use it for would be a problem apart from that it isn't the best cable for running 12v/24v. But you would have to consult the cabling rules for running ELV (anything under 60v DC) as fixed wiring.

No restrictions on running speaker cable in a property.

3. slavewone

slavewone Member

PoE is typically 48 volts and maxes out in exotic conditions as 30 watts.

4. power

power Member

afaik you can run it as much as you want, just not terminate it.

#notlegaladvice

5. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

The reason we need the 'nanny state' controls is to stop people like you wiring up a power point with coax cable. Your third hand echo chamber is not a reliable source of information, you can create your own patch cords, you just can't use them (or store bought ones) as fixed wiring. Saying that, anything under 120v DC is considered ELV and does not really have much in the way of regulations in AS3000.

koopz, connico, Frinky and 1 other person like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Given you actually have no idea of my background, qualifications, 'common sense' factor, nor expertise this might be a bit over the top. (Perhaps I was merely projecting a persona?)
    However, the rest of your post was quite helpful.

My post arose from the reaction professionals voiced to section 5.9.2 of the Draft of AS/CA S009:2019:
    Connecting cords, patch cords and extension leads - A CABLING PROVIDER shall not make an equipment connecting CORD, PATCH CORD, extension lead or the like using component parts, whether or not such parts meet the requirements of AS/CA S008.

This was compounded by subsequent assertions from licensed installers that this was already an in-place requirement. Imagine, a licensed cable installer can run legally run cable and terminate them in-situ (even in tricky circumstances eg: upside down under a house etc) but can't make a patch cable! - I'd appreciate any input on this specific paradox as it's currently sitting at the top of my WTF tray.

re HSV_Enigma's reference to gregzeng;13672481:
    Kids experiencing some 240v in primary school rekindles a sense of how disconnected we are becoming as a society from the 'real world' vs perceived life as portrayed through the Twittersphere. The virus is perhaps an unfortunate/unwelcome intrusion of reality into our collective cotton wool existence. We haven't had anything to really stress over in literally most people's lives and yet we stress over something that's okay under the power regs (eg AS3000).

Compare this to the couple of tonnes hurling around the roads (that may or may not be 'safe' in itself eg current RWC and/or home maintenance/mods) at the whim of someone who may or may not have the competence (irrespective of license status) to do so! - Reminds me of the dilemma of how many signs per km are needed to warn people not to try and swim if they can't!

Perhaps I will take up gardening...

O-B-E-L-I-X likes this.
  7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Can be used as speaker cable... but I wouldn't expect it to be the bees knees. ;)

JSmith

8. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

That is because AS3000 relates only to LV fixed wiring installations - comms, ELV, HV etc all have their own dedicated standards.

That is an incredibly interesting statement in the draft. Having recently had my cameras installed some months ago, technically the installation does not comply with the above mentioned statement as the cables come out of the wall and are terminated to connect straight to the NVR, no patch panel & leads. (If I interpret that statement correctly)

9. OP
    OP
    MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

zero_velocity likes this.
  10. Radley

Radley Member

I had an electrician install CAT6 cabling in my house a few years ago. In all the rooms and the garage they terminate at a socket which is fine. For the cameras they terminate at the socket in the garage, but with RJ45 plug at the end. I guess tecnically half of the camera cables can be considered fixed patch leads!

zero_velocity likes this.
  11. havabeer

havabeer Member

it works as a pretty good impromptu rope

or if your significant other is feeling a bit kinky
    [​IMG]

pezzy, Pugs, qwertylesh and 2 others like this.
  12. Prangitt

Prangitt Member

Cat (5) of 9 tails?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Zee, qwertylesh and JSmithDTV like this.
  13. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Didn't the Borg use one of these on Picard?

Wouldn't mind a whipping with this from Seven of Nine though...

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

fail, it has 10 tails

15. merlin13

merlin13 Member

GST component, silly...

Mickatroid, Zee and Alby1976 like this.
  16. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

I saw the title and thought it might be something sexual.

Pugs likes this.
  17. Pugs

Pugs Member

as long as there is no way to connect that cable in any way to the greater telecommunications network.. then you can use solid core cable for anything else... once you add a 8Pin and 8 connector either plug or jack to it becomes a network cable.

also not saying you can do.. but ya know.. if you want to take that risk.. just do .. don't ask if you can sneak around the rules... if you need to ask.. and you have no idea what you are doing and shouldn't be doing it in the first place...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Alby1976 likes this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Alby1976 and Pugs like this.
  19. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

By the letter of the law you need to engage someone. I'm not even sure you can officially change your taps and be covered if it failed.

If you wish to educate yourself there is enough info out there.

Telstra used UG 3m Scotch locks to terminate at the boundary.

Terminating tools, base plates, cable and RJ connectors are not restricted for sale to the public. Sadly you wont be able to destroy the NBN by wiring it up to your router incorrectly.

You will find most that get all shitty have the cabling license or a mate that does. If we were honest about the risks it would be crawling though the roof space, dust, insulation, asbestos, ladders, spiders the list goes on, but more likely the biggest risk is the ladder and embedded electrical circuits in your roof and walls that you may disturb while carrying out the work. Those poor apprentices with the insulation scheme is a prime example.

If you're going to wire up some lan cable to 240V then I'd be keen to know how you survived the fork and toaster or the hairdryer in a wet area.

20. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

You can, but would you want to is the question. Especially if you use Cat6A, which is stiff and won't look too neat in a patch rack.

That's all true, but the restrictions around structured cabling are there for other good reasons - maybe not so important in domestic installations but certainly are for the industrial areas which is what I work in. Before the restrictions came in back in the 90's there was some pretty wild shit going on with data cabling. Cat5 loop-de-looped with 415V everywhere.

Also keep in mind that registered cablers need to do their QA, so test the installation and give you a report as proof that your installation can actually perform to what you expect it to - that is partially what you are paying for.