1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Using old modems are Wifi Repeaters/Access Points?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by the_antipop, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

It's been a while for me as well but I recall having a hard time changing the IP address on those Telstra modems, it 'sort of' worked but there was weird stuff happening that went away if you set it back to the default IP.

Pretty sure if you turn on bridge mode it will disable the WiFi on the modem.

2. kogi

kogi Member

There is a thread about the telstra modem on whirlpool.

What I remember from a brief scan. After taking out the sim card and and resetting, it will auto setup itself as a repeater/mesh.

Shady memory, so best to read the thread yourself

3. koopz

koopz Member

// deleted.
    sorry wrong window

check your IP tables and advise from there lads

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  4. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

As you all predicted - I started to get issues running the 2 Gen 2 modems. I had them setup correctly, both spitting out wifi - but devices got confused between which one to connect to, and led to issues on my phone, PS4 and TV.

Ended up getting a Kogan Wifi Mesh AC1200 3 pack for $109 delivered. Pretty cheap price. Will use the main unit in bridge mode, and then the 2 secondary units alongside my main Gen 2 modem. Happy days.

Pugs likes this.
  5. Renza

Renza Member

You'll get this issue regardless if your APs don't talk to each other in a mesh or controller setup.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

we should get a bookie evolved...