Using PC as a virtual gaming box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DanielBostock, Aug 21, 2013.

1. DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

Hi,

I am really not sure if this is the right forum but I wasn't sure where else to put this out there and see what others thought or there ideas on the subject.

I had been considering getting a console later this year and I had decided to go with a ps4 (lets not get into a debate about ps4 or xbox btw!). However I am now thinking maybe I could spend that money elsewhere.

I am thinking this because I rarely do have time for games and usually when I do it is in front of the tv (42" Sony Bravia LCD) playing games with a mate or two. However I already have in my lounge room a media center pc. I was thinking of creating a vm that I could remote desktop to and then play games from this pc, I would play the games with either a wireless keyboard and mouse (bluetooth) or controller (bluetooth).

My computer is quite capable of running its own powerful vm, as I have a 2011 i7 3930k, ASRock x79 Champion, 64gb RAM, 2x 256gb SSD's, GTX560, 1x Quad PCIE NIC.

The specs I was planning on giving to this vm are;

CPU: 4 cores, 8 threads
    RAM: 16gb
    HDD: 100gb (SSD2)
    NIC: Direct access to 1 of the ports on the quad nic.

So my main questions lies in will this vm be fine in playing games through a remote desktop connection from my media pc onto the 42" lcd tv in my lounge room? Do I need to make some other changes somewhere on the software end or hardware? Do I need to get another gtx560 or upgrade to a more powerful card such as gtx770?

I should also state I want to play games from nba2k13/14, rome 2 total war, x-universe, various fps games, to some lego games in multiplayer.

The only thing I can think that might be an issue is displaying it onto my lcd from the host computer in the lounge room. I can upgrade that graphics card if need be, that card is just a cheap 30$ card that gives hdmi to it.

Please any ideas, or thoughts that anyone has on this topic are greatly appreciated!

2. STUdog

STUdog Member

You cant play games in a RDP session

3. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

When you say that what do you mean? Do you mean 3d rendering games? I have played fm2013 through rdp.

4. STUdog

STUdog Member

RDP does not support 3d acceleration. And RDP pretty much streams your sessions, do you want that?

5. power

power Member

3D is generally disabled in RDP.

why are you creating the VM, just install the games onto the media centre and play direct.

6. STUdog

STUdog Member

My exact same thought

7. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

I would take that easier option but, it only has enough power to do what is meant to do and that is be a media center.

I thought there maybe limitations in rdp. The question is then how to best connect to a vm via another computer to use 3d acceleration. I will have to research this point.

8. power

power Member

So you want 1 computer to be 2 computers - ie play games AND act as a media center at the same time?

Forget it, not gonna happen.

You and a thousand others have tried to do this in the past with 0 success.

Also you will likely find that the MC app will be using the GPU as well.

Best thing I can think of off the top of my head is Shield however I'm not aware of the limitations of it.

9. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

10. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

Well the 1 computer (the MC) wouldn't be handling any of the processing of the game, it would be solely conduit for my main pc which would handle all the processing. Do you get what I mean?

11. power

power Member

I know exactly what you mean, and tbh it's a pipe dream - as above shield is the only thing I know of that can do the kind of thing you want to.

I have a 3M HDMI, I don't know how long you can go.

12. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

from what I was reading it appears HDMI can have 1080p extended over cat6 with extenders like the one in my link. Which is pretty cool and would be the cheapest way to solve my problem. Though it would require a bit of work on my part climbing into the roof and doing some cutting into the walls... :leet:

13. STUdog

STUdog Member

I have a 10m hdmi and works fine, you can get better quality 20m cables but will pay around $100 for it, but it will work for 1080p

14. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

Thanks guys for your help. I am gonna mull it over some more but I think I will just go with a hdmi extender, and usb extender and run these network cables in the roof and then they can come out near the tv and I can use my pc from my lounge room as if I was in my study. This will probably give the best result and all for half the price of a ps4, with a whole lot more flexibility.

Thanks again guys!

15. heydonms

heydonms Member

FYI, VMWare View will do remote gaming on a VM, they were showing it off at the trade show the other week.

Completely unsuitable for this exact situation since it would require an ESXi host with compatible graphics card(s), and probably a PCoIP accelerator, but it is possible.

16. breech

breech Member

17. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

Ah yes view... That's a good point...

Hmm, what do you think: esxi host vm in workstation?
    It might end up being a slow piece of crap with to many problems haha... I dunno I could try it though and let you know what happens...

18. heydonms

heydonms Member

I don't think workstation does physical device pass through (although vmworld is coming up and we might get workstation 10), your ESXi VM would only have access to the VMWare VGA adapter. I have run machines in nested VMs a while back, it wasn't pretty and I don't think it has gotten much better. Try running your game just under workstation, if it still runs perfectly then it might be worth a shot but if it is struggling then putting it under another layer of virtualisation is likely to make it unusable.

EDIT: also I suspect the demo they were running was on incredibly high end hardware, probably with one of the teradici cards

19. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I wouldn't say that. Have seen quite a few people gave success especially with the new RemoteFX with Server 2008 R2 (SP1) or 2012 Server. Can have multiple video cards in the PC, push one to each VM and connect and play games over RDP (7.1) session. Would need to be running Hyper-V on host PC, however can't see you having an issue with that given the spec of the host PC.

General RemoteFX article

Some more peeps trying this on another forum here

20. Glide

Glide Member

Yep. Older article, but useful: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/06/remotefx/