Using PC as a virtual gaming box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DanielBostock, Aug 21, 2013.

1. pheonix991

pheonix991 Member

Your best bet is going to be running an hdmi cable(assuming you do your research about how long you need it) and running a powered usb cable for a keyboard and mouse from your htpc to your other room. Then setup mirroring on the video card.

Don't get into the hassle of VM's. Not worth it.

If you want it to function as an htpc while playing a game, you're SOL. Best bet is getting something like an rpi to use xbmc. Assuming you have everything you want to watch encoded properly for it, your wife will be fine.

2. kesawi

kesawi Member

What are the specs of your HTPC. I have an i3 with a GT430 as a HTPC conneced to my plasma and it plays most of those games you've mentioned reasonably well, although not with full eye candy. As most of the games are on Steam I don't need to buy duplicate copies as I just log out of my main PC and into the HTPC when I want to play. Even a Celeron with a GTX650 thrown in should perform well enough for what you want.

3. OP
    OP
    DanielBostock

DanielBostock Member

Yeah I think running the HDMI cable could be a very good option. I mean the idea of doing a vm method was using existing hardware and not spending anything on making this platform for playing the games. However going VM like you said requires to much hassle. Well at the moment anyway... Few years time might be quite easy through a software app like workstation...

I just got a pi last week from RS UK, which should arrive in a couple of weeks so I am looking forward to setting that up for the wife instead and getting rid of the htpc.

However with what kesawi said there could be merit in maybe beefing up my htpc to do this. It's a core2duo can't remember which one off the top of my head, and I was thinking of upgrading my pc graphics card later this year, so I could just put that one in this computer and maybe find some more ram and put a 256gb ssd and should be all good.

I might try the VM stuff purely out of interests sake anyway.

I have really enjoyed talking about this with other people who have thought about it, so thanks everyone thus far for input.

4. power

power Member

a Core2Duo with even something like a 560Ti will be a pretty competent gaming PC for the kind of low res controller friendly stuff you will play on an HTPC anyway.

5. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I agree that HDMI and wireless keyboard / mouse is an easier option. Although I don't know what drugs this guy is smoking. GT430 is a TERRIBLE card for gaming. The smallest step up from onboard. The GTX650 mentioned would do 'ok' for most things. GTX650 is 100-300% faster that GT430.

Anandtech GT440 - GTX650 comparo

Serious ramifications to running Server 2012 as your main workstation OS (which you'll need to do if you want to run Hyper-V with remotefx). But if you can get around that stuff then it's a pretty fun option. I'm all for painful / out of the box setups. I spent months tinkering with running XBMC in a VM on my ESXi box and passing the video through to projector.

Nice info on running Server OS as a workstation here;
    http://www.win2012workstation.com/
    http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/ - Most 'fixes' here work on 2012 as well.

6. pheonix991

pheonix991 Member

Do vm's support higher than dx9 yet? That would put a damper on it all.

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

got a phone with mhl? install splashtop and wait for it to mature :D

edit or as mentioned you could send HDMI and USB over wireless.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Just get a console.

9. Segression

Segression Member

as much as a PC game lover i am, get the ps4.
    If your keen on a PC though. Why not build a new HTPC. Beef it up a touch. Like a higher end i3 or i5 and use steam big screen or in the past i had used the xbmc mods to launch games from the xbmc menu

Look at: http://lifehacker.com/5523672/turn-your-xbmc-media-center-into-a-video-game-console
    Its pretty old article i think but i remember at the time i set up emulators and a few games like this and it worked pretty well after the initial experimenting on getting it as seamless as possible.

At the end of the day id recommend your console of choice for less headaches . At least you know you can turn it on and play and not, "aw feck mayte me hdmi cable is facked" or "feck mayte..me xbmc lost its load"

10. D_W_Y

D_W_Y Member

this is what I would do.

recently went through the same thing with my tv being on the other side of the room to my pc and it's too hard to move them closer.

Just ran an hdmi cable around the edge of the room to the tv. best way imo.

11. power

power Member

looks like Steambox might come to your rescue OP, lol!