Using smart power switches for router/server reliability up time

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by GrandmasBoi, Nov 14, 2019.

1. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

I want to ask and see what people use or recommend for keeping a router stable incase of a lag up or freeze.

What I have is 2 servers both identical running on Raspberry Pis x 2. Both are behind seperate routers with seperate connections.
    Servers are used mainly to ssh in and use vpn. Generally they are pretty stable, running ubuntu and raspi mainly for command line is solid.

I found that the weak point in the equation is the routers, altho they are also generally pretty stable from time to time it can happen one will lag or freeze, then remotely I am screwed.

The 2 failsafe mechanisms on my mind are:

1. Hardwired physical power plug timer that will cut and turn power back on the physical power adapter of the router once daily, this will reboot the router once a day at a time which it wont be in use, 1 day down time in worst case situation is ok, considering I have 2 servers so backup can be used while second router comes back. (this will be only used for the router not a good idea to keep rebooting linux server with a power cut daily)

2. Use a set of 2 wifi smart switch power plugs such as a tp link hs100. Both routers would be connected to each others smart power plugs on wifi. In the case router 1 goes down, can remotely ssh/desktop into router 2 which is connected over wifi to router 1 smart plug and simply turn on and off the power, router 1 reboots/comes online.

I am after reliability here, being fancy plays 0 factor here. Introducing smart power plugs could introduce another point of failure into the system? I have no experience with them at all, a simple power plug timer is more reliable then a smart power plug?

Don't use power timer/smart plug at all hope for best?

The 2 routers are both tplink mr6400 and mr3020 Yeah pretty cheap/stock but they both pretty stable on stock firmware and like I said its mostly command line traffic nothing fancy.

Both servers schedule reboot twice a day to keep fresh, routers reboot once a day on schedule for same reason.

What do people use in similar situations?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

flash them both to openwrt and then run a cron job on the routers.

It might have the side affect of actually making them more stable anyway :)

3. callan

callan Member

If you have to resort to these measures then you're treating the symptom, not the disease, and if you're doing so to improve the reliability of your network then you will be sorely disappointed: all you'll be doing is scheduling downtime in addition to any downtime associated with unreliable equipment.

If you insist on going down this fools-errand, schedule your servers to shut themselves down 10 minutes before a daily power cycle of the routers and servers. That way if they're working they'll be safely shut down. If the can't shut down, then pulling the pin on them was warranted anyway.

But I repeat, you're fixing the wrong problem. I have not had to pull the pin on a router or server for malfunction in over 10 years. If you've had to consider doing this to "improve reliability" you're fixing it from the wrong end.

Edit: short version Why the fuck are you rebooting servers twice daily. Servers here run for months, only needing reboots for major OS updates. If you need to do 12 hourly reboots there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG.

Really.

Callan

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    splbound and NSanity like this.
  4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

"Servers and routers are pretty stable"
    "Needs to be rebooted often"
    Spend money on decent (non consumer) devices and spend less time (and therefore money) curiously poking something hoping it comes good.