Using youtube.com in a corp environment

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Ding.Chavez, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

I have seen some threads on this but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with youtube.com and its training purposes?

We want to allow users access to you youtube.com but not all its non-business related garbage.

We have ligitimate reasons to access the site and our users are making more and more noise about it.

I have tried to find some info on the web but nothing about allowing part access to youtube.com

So what say you?

2. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Download the required videos using videodownloadhelper
    publish to intranet with swf player.

That's what we do here - it's against youtube's policies however...

3. siooma

siooma New Member

You can blacklist youtube.com as a whole and only allow access to youtube.com/trainingvideo1 etc... in dansguardian. We use squid + dansguardian here and that kind of functionality is available so i'd image other proxy servers would allow similar options.

What does your web filtering?

4. gbh

gbh Member

we allow access per user and/or per ip and/or at certain times of day only depending on user level.

5. OP
    OP
    Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

I use mailguard.com.au which I can do the same functionality, I guess I can open channnels and hope that what the users want are under those directories.

We limit it all day except lunch time when the internet is free game. My funky 10mb link gets a whopping 3mb usage :)

6. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

We occasionally get some valid user requests with maybe a vendors product video which is on youtube.

We have a seperate PC not on our corp network which the users can use for these sort of one off things. That link is just a cheap home ADSL type link which we normally use for testing VPN connections / router configs etc

7. magic_kermy

magic_kermy Member

we have quota time for this sort of thing. 30 minutes ago it was 15 minute blocks. now it is in 30 minute blocks. funny how things work out. users get blocked initially and have to click on a button to begin using their quota time. they get 4 uses of their quota time per day (so does add up to 2hrs per day).

probably gets abused more than used but I've noticed a lot of useful stuff on there lately (especially with AutoCad).

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Plenty of success stories, so here's a failure for you.

We flat out banned YouTube. Business users got cranky, and particularly high profile users demanded it in the name of "research".

We allowed it on a case by case, user by user basis, and watch the logs. Sure enough, months later half the marketing department is watching videos of cats playing piano all Friday afternoon.

Yay.

9. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

It's finally banned at where we work. The place I worked before didn't, and have Facebook left unblocked too. Office dynamics could be measured by who was fighting on Facebook, itr was retarded.

+1 for have the video stored on the intranet or even a network dirive.

10. siooma

siooma New Member

Isn't it funny when you tell them (if you did of course) that all internet traffic is logged blah blah they still do that?

My favourites are the people who use proxy sites like facebook unblock to try and get around the filter. You have to use our proxy to get to that proxy and we can see you dumbass!!

11. proffesso

proffesso Member

youtube is available at all companies ive worked at.

itunes over the network, skype, msn etc etc

if people are lazy and dont get thier work done, people will know. artificially locking stuff down is a bit crap

12. voltare1

voltare1 Member

not when they inadvertently expose the inside of the network to nasty stuff, OR are found accessing NSFW material and the business ends up in court over sexual harrasment cause some one saw someone else checking out the titty-girls -

13. OP
    OP
    Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

ala Macquarie bank :)

14. elvis

Working for bonehead corporates is a bit crap. :(

I miss working for creative types...

15. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

I get really annoyed at comments like that, from the chatter on this forum there's a number of people here (including me) entrusted with managing and protecting networks that contain some pretty sensitive information....

90% of users are clueless when it comes to technology and if something is put in front of them they'll damned well click on it, it's human nature. Even with reminders and training people will click on things.

Our job is to make sure that enterprise networks are secure and free of nasties, which means that we have to lock down the internet, log stuff and audit user and machine activity.

To me the internet is one of my biggest headaches, everyone wants facebook, youtube, skype, multifrickn'media and file sharing, yet those same people would be the first to scream blue-murder if there was a security breach.

Of course, we could just all 'unlock the 'net' onto the corporate network scene, turn off all proxies and stateful packet filtering, turn off the spam filters, get rid of all those annoying group policies and other things which hinder people and then...

Sit back and wait for about 10minutes till the phones begin ringing :(

-NyarghNia

16. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

I couldn't agree more.

Mnay people won;t be able to eventually resist the temptation if it is there, and if it's not required for work t all, there is no point it even being htere anyway. The amount of proxying that people try to do where I work is astounding, and they still use their phones to access it anyway, so why risk potential damage to your network when they can access it via other means too.

we have a seperate raw net connection in the office that is meant to be used for downloading/transferring large files, but everyone on it lives on facebook etc. Management turns a blind eye because half of them do it too.

It's easier in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion, that it not be available and there are no exceptions. Soon as one person gets access, the whinging snowballs. Whats worse, up until recently youtube was unblocked but I could SSH into off site servers for work purposes.

BLOCK EM ALL!

17. elvis

Don't be.

There are a huge variety of different businesses out there. You and I might work for ones that are (rightly) paranoid about data loss, but for every one like us there are businesses where it's perfectly harmless for staff to browse facebook and YouTube.

Proffesso in particular works for the creative industries. It's very healthy for that sort of business to allow free roam to their staff. It gives them the freedom to track down source and reference information quickly, and means they are better equipped to sort out artistic problems and make deadline. And as he mentioned, if people are going to waste their time in that industry online, it becomes very obvious very quickly (unlike the corporate world where dead weight can hide in the white noise for decades).

Just as there are many different vendors, brands of software and hardware, there are also many different types of business. People need to understand not everyone is a big finance or public sector org with security policies out the whazoo (and likewise, others need to understand that some of us are).

Viva la difference.

18. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

That is indeed true, but the thought of what kind of stuff could be lurking on those networks just scares me silly...

-NyarghNia

19. username_taken

username_taken Member

working for creative types also has its drawbacks ... but yes it's still lightyears ahead of bonehead corps.

20. OP
    OP
    Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

I think youtube.com have an obligation to provide classifications of their movies content if they truely want to be welcomed to the corporate environment as a training distribution medium. I guess they would ask for a premium for you to access it then! :)

Pity, good videos are on there for my particular business. In my case salesforce.com has training vidz that my sales team want to view but I am now limited to either 1: allowing all access for a limited amount of time or; 2: rip them off illegally and host them locally.

Surely there is a common ground somewhere?